Now is the Best Time! Our 2024 Florida Road Trip (update 6/14)

mickey916

DIS Veteran
Intro and explanation:

My DH and I retired early in 2022 and took our first Florida road trip in April of 2023. This was an exploratory trip to see which areas we liked best for future trips. We covered both coasts and the Keys during our one month excursion. Since that trip only included a few days in Orlando, I posted my trip report on the Community Board, which can be found here: Around the State (and what we ate)

As soon as we returned last year we set our itinerary for our 2024 Florida road trip with plans to spend more time in each of our favorite areas. Surprising to no one on the DisBoards, we reconfirmed last year that our favorite area is Orlando, particularly Disney World. So, since this road trip involves much more time spent in Disney, I figure it’s a safe bet to post this report in the Disney Trip Report thread.

Here is our original itinerary for our 2024 trip (it did end up changing mid-trip, but more on that when we get to it.):

4/1-4/2 Stafford, VA
4/2-4/3 Santee, SC
4/3-4/6 Ormond Beach:
4/3 St. Augustine,
4/4 Deleon Springs,
4/5 Flagler Beach
4/6-4/15 Orlando:
4/6 Gatorland, Disney Springs, POFQ
4/7 Universal IoA, Studios & City Walk
4/8 Magic Kingdom & 'Ohana
4/15-4/20 Cocoa Beach
4/20-4/25 Bradenton
4/25-4/30 Fanning Springs
4/30-5/1 Augusta, GA
5/2-5/4 Charlotte, NC
5/4-5/5 Harrisonburg, VA
5/5-5/7 Lancaster, PA
5/7 Home

Here’s an overview of our planned route:

PSkl8dOPfhloJlqbUM_AA7aGM_ecv7rS46mGbxshAbaA_ZOs-KQi2XsFpkKCEAbevOY4YyCam-or7f9apFCbygYPmMnfF0t-tF9kk1TW1SkgTvqGkE7oh6ANjoA7tfbEqHvlbRM6x3E_cZuSgBIPxPw

I hope you will join me as I recount our many adventures. We experienced many interesting things and ate a lot of delicious food! We had a phenomenal trip!

Last edited:
4/1 Departing from home and stopping in Stafford, VA

Last year we took a leisurely drive down, avoiding 95 by driving the coast. This year we were eager to get to Florida so we knew we needed to take the dreaded 95 route. Hoping to avoid the inevitable backups in Connecticut, New York and D.C., we decided to leave at 3:30 am., so we were up and out early!

We had an uneventful drive down and arrived in Stafford, VA just before noon. Since 2018, we both make sure we get at least 10,000 steps a day so once we arrived it was time to do some walking. We went to the Stafford Civil War park, a former winter camp site for Union soldiers. There are five different spots with short walking trails at each one. Several plaques describe what life was like for Civil War soldiers. It is a very informative park that also has restrooms and a small picnic area. We made ourselves a picnic lunch with leftover Easter ham and then walked around the five areas stopping to read the historic information. It was a very interesting stop.

Next, we checked into our hotel, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Quantico/Stafford. The hotel was no frills but quiet, clean and comfy.

L-1lcULCeqVUml59BL8UVv8I9AUajF9N8Q4iVbQAjAxhUmBiz-dXxw7bGpghvtUu0UnowY8SjTUQQNU9XX-Nu7kxyqApTlndLOQ7iaVh-ThkII3WMzOpRyrXW_qdVFdLNlIuWltV1mYy92Jo8erk7cg

It was too early for dinner and we needed more steps so we headed over to Government Island. This was another area with nice easy trails, this time along Aquia Harbor. We didn’t see much wildlife but we did see the area where limestone was cut for the U.S. Capitol building.

Having achieved our step goals we decided to head for an early dinner and discovered that the #2 restaurant listed in TripAdvisor, El Gran Charro, was right next door to our hotel. Weary from travel we decided to just head there.

We were seated promptly and our server brought over the complimentary chips & salsa. There was also a garlic ranch sauce served with it as well.

Frt5isvpf_rp2E3sFqy1Ake7ILfmisnEhiSwoLSGoMyU5paPYrQlj7Nm9QPaybPh_62I019FgdcHiUz-mDlyneXvroRb7Ntx-79OXALhFumNFqo-9051_A9cTe3p883AojzgBCgTWAXIilt6XSXle7Q

This was delicious. The chips were fresh, the salsa flavorful and the garlic dipping sauce gave a nice contrast to simply chips & salsa.

Our main entrees arrived quickly. My DH ordered Tacos Al Pastor.

hANgLgj6h5X7GWtT4mfTynQ5jbLDqJ5taPc31pqJ5ghQRwACiCdn27ltjtAJnZY1AUUmanceEH4sZUY7zY28K3i5DlXO8G4FHld8ATz2PJnbXUsSJfKoyP0rW2L7Fs-GeIDyuhdqveu962dqv0oLWbU

He absolutely loved this. The pork was tender with sweet chunks of pineapple.

I ordered the Tacos de Camaron (grilled shrimp tacos).

MptJHnQrMGu9fiFo3jLFpffkpvxq_q1jRfyLarKAJnN72iZKnmt-nKZzvwKrD87lRR7mP65JHiZVb0u6wyJSe60QS7uIXwE97g1tUrOCYDTm8QlNm7M0hRZkCiI9wACkyEW7CTEPZVru8Rb3G5WUQUs

While these don’t look like much in the picture, they were very fresh, nicely seasoned and perfectly grilled.

Both of our meals came with a deconstructed plate of pico de gallo to add to our tacos, which is nice for people who perhaps don’t care for red onion or cilantro to be able to mix up their own topping.

41IhKd1dFdPs8Vx6ctNqSgpKAfBkUc2ZIis_33bhoGLB3cRUl2sYI9fTRXv2ohOkVnZcBI1JJjO4ZoaD2LpXimB9kCzsri1f4kqtZ2acnoDDAtI4Eft5FC09Q9g1Aef5GEYQDn9weESYNQw14GlpHNE

Our tacos also each came with sides of Spanish rice and refried beans.

IpbQRlz1EP6KxA0s1WiJ2z9X4kTRF3J3wXwceqCrX98QxT7xEgbq6ZbmvbvpttmtO6oNowOhms0gq6YpMKsC21J-UyrzqNH4N9Cw6z5mD346noyItQNc1U1SgOxDFIZm0kvFzDejF5NjMiOh8He1Ddo

These were also excellent. The Spanish rice had a nice flavor and was perfectly cooked, not at all dried out. The refried beans were creamy and well seasoned.

Overall we gave this meal a 10/10. It was a lot of very fresh tasting food at a reasonable price (total bill with tip $32.02). We will definitely put this on our list whenever we’re driving down 95 through Virginia.

After dinner we headed back to the hotel for an early night since we had been awake since 3:00 am.

Edit to add: total step count: 13636

Last edited:
4/2 Heading to Santee, South Carolina

After a good night's sleep, we ate a complimentary breakfast at the hotel and headed south at 7:30 am. By late morning we decided to stop for a picnic lunch and found Arnette Park in Fayetteville, NC. There were a number of open picnic tables but there was a lot of trash around. It looked like there had been an Easter Egg hunt recently and people just left their empty eggs on the ground. It felt as if we weren’t in the safest of areas so we ate a quick lunch and headed on instead of exploring the park.

RxCVuIsaDqOtKnmWOVxY7JBEDcBF3i6BQ07Kif0nel1Re0c7OUrD0Q3-ZZlhfGQzPceq4KVZumgwGDx4HpqqP1bkqOibwPhIDLNI5Uq5iVqtfNN5ETkNNMBladX4i-IUWhoo6heRlAE1mgk553A9CJk

Eventually we reached Santee, SC and decided to go to the Santee State Park to get our steps. We started at the Sinkhole Pond Nature Trail. This was a nice walk through the woods. There really wasn’t much of a view of the pond and we only saw squirrels in terms of wildlife. We did see the Sinkhole but that was right alongside the road. It was very quiet and a nice walk but nothing too interesting.

We needed more steps so we ventured further into Santee State Park and walked quite a distance along the bike trail. We were hoping for a water view but couldn’t see much through the trees. It started getting buggy so we turned around. While this seemed like a nice, safe place to get our steps, it wasn’t anything interesting. I think we probably didn’t pick the right trail.

We then checked into the Fairfield Inn & Suites, Santee. I had seen on TripAdvisor that it had 5 stars so I was optimistic. This hotel did not disappoint! The staff was friendly and it was very obvious that cleanliness was a top priority. The items at breakfast were all individually wrapped and there were a lot of good options. The room was huge, quiet, and spotless.

pyjN0hmVYqgko7R_ZCI3IELOK7WXDU4S9EHFfe3IzLt8MUNxxzdrCT2N5svMR6qmDA7cvedokeQZevmFTzLeu1UG0FZ3vEL55pflOmnaJM89f4jNXaoRAfvpvhx9hcgbDDF8-2c5k5-KEgQQmGzQNhM
S04N0IiSXe4qVjSgdi--o_XUY3-SPhb8LEMvt1JokmcVaw-Cb8DeQg1pxjwyWmf9XwWM0jmtARnqMaXHQLdlgfsT3OSKUwSOq-S5rPKPFzNhArQo0syvoWZP-Scp9b21S7ga6Psl9rBNEd3alMf25Vw

We will definitely stay here again any time we travel I-95.

We decided to head for dinner and checked again for recommendations on TripAdvisor. My DH isn’t a huge seafood fan so we decided to skip the #1 rated restaurant, Captains Quarters, and headed to #2, Clark’s Inn & Restaurant.

dB-MWqokRUyhxapv8auR2x9rQbOUzVwYWc-XFzH8VZYDI4OqQ7R3AW4nzb5uAg6M96WsXncP5n7mcxxMZsXJbcB2n2bznBKPtifbwYz2IC2MFQoLSFbtqexwhwu1Z_uuj2kLdi1lrwl8lGIvf_Y9Aw4

The portions looked huge so we decided to each get a salad to start and then share an entree. First, we ordered the bleu cheese cranberry salad, mixed greens with tomatoes, pecans, cranberries and bleu cheese.

Hm1729eBpv4cXo6cC-BbJIbvAqEaN78ROrituuzdbh6ZYztlJ20_mRkF0Z2-X8jxkU2iECPCwKbTH2fwPMFM4_0lxnVVKn4pM7oTUcYXozOFzjtdNo9e1rhnD4ksOruCKTXyzesBT4umXzDL1h0jH8U

We both enjoyed our salads very much. The vegetables were fresh and the pecan, bleu cheese and cranberries added nice flavor and texture.

For our entree, we decided to share the fried chicken dinner, their “most famous item” on their menu. It was described as “hormone free chicken breaded in lightly seasoned flour and fried until golden brown, served with mixed green beans and red skinned mashed potatoes.”

Here is the one entree divided between our two plates.

Z-kWn6CASAc-oSNbpJjvjiM3-oVzv3lKDmsb8hzzCcS2mbwAGJibhzbr2rdwT9BwQwKnr_3nOJDFTiW-ycu0UnG2M_SVBlY95PfwGjyTxxY9xexqKUsLQq42GR5Mj1quJZxUcT3so6f0WxWHPbvWnDQ
En40XeEpNOmzVRW6s2e8J4KO2eSw_SrHxMAPbsc3MEC-qz4phaWp5hOHInxGvT1bpIdqGwaSx7Zyxo5YlhufDAYzBwPpGJG0oXC-os7h75-DPfLxpOdiFvWvyY2U7iPNLGHVBTmr-M99WlOa_n_S2ac

This was a decent meal but the “lightly seasoned” chicken could have used more seasoning. The mashed potatoes were very good but the green bean mixture was weird and it also had some random corn thrown in. It was as if they mixed fresh green beans with canned or frozen. It was odd to see the bright green beans contrasting with the brownish green ones.

Overall it was a decent meal and certainly a huge portion for us to share. The interior of the restaurant was very pretty and our service was good.

xeey9OI9BlCtugSZYbbVELj9AQmj8Y03e2-LLARB79Uk3BPPH22WNnLS6vit8UUqpSitk8q2WhGpF2ndufo2No5_-uSdF1mxX7Kr3wV8QMlKOfVgUzoh1Do-G_-yrRzHB2TIhhJobWWbFaXT5QaGsJ4

However, next time we’ll probably try the Captains Quarters. We headed back to our hotel for another early night, looking forward to reaching Florida the next day.

Edit to add: Total step count: 14,132

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter