November or January for Family Trip?

DisneyMom0604

Earning My Ears
We are scheduled to go to Disney in about 25 days! This is the third time we have scheduled this trip for this year...we were suppose to originally go in April. We are driving from Texas and taking our time to get there. My 7yo DD is so excited to be going...she is old enough to really understand where we are going this time. We also have a 1yo DS. We've never been at Christmastime so we are excited to see the lights. The parades aren't that big of a deal for us so missing those is okay. We have a couple character meals scheduled for our trip. My DD is okay with not having character meets as long as she can see the characters somehow.

This morning I was looking around and discovered if we moved our trip to January we could go for 7 days instead of 5 for about the same price. That is so tempting! Would you bring your kids in November and enjoy what there is of Christmas or wait until January? What is there for families during January? Do you think character meets will be back by then? School isn't an issue as we homeschool. And there is a chance we may go back in March during a work trip for my DH. I just want to go on vacation somewhere!!! lol

Personally I’d go in January. I think it would be less crowded, especially if it’s not close to New Year’s or the MLK holiday.

For me, it would depend on whether going in March was a sure thing. If it is, then I would go in Nov. Two trips about 5 months apart is better than one! However, if there’s only a small chance I could go in March, I would go in January. More days equals more fun! :-)

I doubt character meals or meet and greets will change by January. Your kids can see them in the mini parades that go through MK or at a character meal ( only at a distance.)Christmas decorations add magic to our trips, but depending on when in January, hopefully it will be less crowded. Will you all swim a lot? There are less warm days to swim in January than November....although everyone's idea of swimming weather is different! I would ask your daughter if she wants to see Christmas decorations, that may help you decide based off of her reaction. Have a great trip whenever it may take place!

Last edited:
We're going in January and have gone several times during the beginning of January. Depending on what dates you are considering in January, you may catch some of the Christmas decor still in the resorts and parks. It's not quite the same as seeing it before Christmas, but the Christmas trees are so impressive that they are still neat to see! We also homeschool, and have found that the beginning of January is pretty quiet in the parks since most schools are just returning from winter break and not many school aged children are missing school at that time for a vacation.

We finally decided to move our trip from November and spend a few days in Branson instead. Now, I've got to decide dates so I can call Disney and move our tickets to the new dates. Thank you everyone for the input. I'm excited to be able to go during an off-peak time early in the year. Plus, I see new deals are out now for next year!

We're going in January and have gone several times during the beginning of January. Depending on what dates you are considering in January, you may catch some of the Christmas decor still in the resorts and parks. It's not quite the same as seeing it before Christmas, but the Christmas trees are so impressive that they are still neat to see! We also homeschool, and have found that the beginning of January is pretty quiet in the parks since most schools are just returning from winter break and not many school aged children are missing school at that time for a vacation.
I was going to say the same thing! Christmas decor stays up until sometime during the first week of January, so we got to enjoy all the lights and decorations during our January trip.

AND if you can swing a longer trip in January, I would probably do that instead. More days at Disney is better than less, IMO 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter