November 24, 2012 Magic

JanDave

DIS Veteran
DH and I are sailing on this cruise with 10 family members!

The Magic will be decorated for the holidays and I can envision the sight and the smell of gingerbread from the gingerbread house!

Jan

I have added your thread to the cruise meet list :thumbsup2

Have a great cruise!

We sailed last Thanksgiving and had a great time!

Greetings, Fellow Cruisers!

My Mom and I will be joining y'all on this post-Thanksgiving cruise out of Galveston. As you can see, I live in the Houston area, so logistics to and from the ship will be pretty easy for us.

A little history...We lost Dad in early November 2011. Very suddenly, but very peacefully. Mom and the whole fam then spent Thanksgiving here in Houston with me. I've been up to visit and check in with her four times in the St. Louis area since. She appears to be doing really well. She just turned 78 this week and is doing well independently.

I'm a DVC owner (and single) and have taken the rest of the fam to WDW, but never took Mom and Dad because of Dad's mobility issues. I now think that WDW will be too much of a mobility issue for Mom, too. Maybe not five years ago. But now? Yes, it'll be a problem. So the best solution? Take Mom on a DCL cruise to immerse her in the Disey magic!

So the plan is to fly Mom down here the week of Thanksgiving, spend the holiday together here with friends, then get on the ship on Saturday for a seven day holiday. I'm delighted that the ship will be decorated for the holiday season.

This will be the first cruise for both of us. Looks like y'all have a few more under your belts. And that's good for me! I'm trying to figure out suitable port excursions for us. Walking uneven Mayan ruin sites is not a good idea, nor is snorkeling, scuba, ziplining, or dune buggying. See where this is going? This pretty much leaves us with dolphin experiences, turtle farms, and submarine rides. I've read that staying on the ship can be rather relaxing, but I get the drift from my Mom that she expects to get off at each port. So we can do some shopping, too. So any advice/suggestions you can give me in that area would be greatly appreciated. We only get the 75 day reservation window, so we're not in a hurry yet.

Hope to catch up with a few other DISer's on the ship. If you need logistical information for the Houston or Galveston area, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Renee

Greetings, Fellow Cruisers!

My Mom and I will be joining y'all on this post-Thanksgiving cruise out of Galveston. As you can see, I live in the Houston area, so logistics to and from the ship will be pretty easy for us.

A little history...We lost Dad in early November 2011. Very suddenly, but very peacefully. Mom and the whole fam then spent Thanksgiving here in Houston with me. I've been up to visit and check in with her four times in the St. Louis area since. She appears to be doing really well. She just turned 78 this week and is doing well independently.

I'm a DVC owner (and single) and have taken the rest of the fam to WDW, but never took Mom and Dad because of Dad's mobility issues. I now think that WDW will be too much of a mobility issue for Mom, too. Maybe not five years ago. But now? Yes, it'll be a problem. So the best solution? Take Mom on a DCL cruise to immerse her in the Disey magic!

So the plan is to fly Mom down here the week of Thanksgiving, spend the holiday together here with friends, then get on the ship on Saturday for a seven day holiday. I'm delighted that the ship will be decorated for the holiday season.

This will be the first cruise for both of us. Looks like y'all have a few more under your belts. And that's good for me! I'm trying to figure out suitable port excursions for us. Walking uneven Mayan ruin sites is not a good idea, nor is snorkeling, scuba, ziplining, or dune buggying. See where this is going? This pretty much leaves us with dolphin experiences, turtle farms, and submarine rides. I've read that staying on the ship can be rather relaxing, but I get the drift from my Mom that she expects to get off at each port. So we can do some shopping, too. So any advice/suggestions you can give me in that area would be greatly appreciated. We only get the 75 day reservation window, so we're not in a hurry yet.

Hope to catch up with a few other DISer's on the ship. If you need logistical information for the Houston or Galveston area, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Renee

Welcome Renee and Mom!!!! :thumbsup2 I was beginning to think no one else has chosen to cruise this week since we are about 4 months pre-cruise.

Congrats on your first cruise and extra kudos for choosing DCL! No, I am not an agent of DCL nor am I a travel agent, I simply enjoy being a DCL cruiser. This cruise will be my 18th DCL cruise; never cruised any other cruise line. DH Dave and I just got off the Disney Dream a few weeks ago.

We, too, are DVC members; members since 2001. In fact, we bought two contracts - both on the Disney Magic. Many of our cruises have been with points.

Sorry about the recent death of your dad. With your mom's mobility issues, have you thought about renting a scooter/wheelchair for the cruise, or does she already have one to bring on the ship? Also, being on the ship is a much more relaxing pace, not the hectic pace of WDW.

As for the ports of call, we have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman before; Costa Maya is a new port for us. At Cozumel and GC, we have done beach excursions with DCL and on our own. I have no desire to swim with the dolphins or stingrays, ziplining in the jungle nor are we walking through the Mayan ruins. My DH is scheduled to have a total knee replacement next month and he will be in "less active" mode on this cruise. I noticed for Costa Maya port adventurs on the DCL website that there is an excursion about the Mayan culture and having a meal at a Mayan home. We thought that might be interesting.

As for booking at the 75 day window, you and your mom may be interested in having brunch and/or dinner at Palo. It is an adult only restaurant on deck 10 aft - beautiful. Enjoying a meal at Palo is something we look forward to. The cost is $20/person and, in my opinion, well worth the extra money.

One word of advice from me is that if you are enjoying the cruise, don't leave the ship without booking another one. When booking on board, you get a 10% discount off the stateroom, plus up to $200 onboard credit. If you decide to move this booked cruise to another date once you are off the ship, your 10% follows you, however, you will lose the onboard credit.

The Magic is a beautiful ship! I'm looking forward to going "home".

Are you scheduled for early or late dining?

We are planning to fly into Hobby on November 23; staying overnight at the Marriott South (will book this through DCL) and purchase DCL round trip ground transfers to/from Houston and Galveston. Airfare has come down slightly for flights to/from Detroit/Hobby and we will book airfare soon.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Jan

Jan

Hi Jan-

For clarity, Mom's mobility is most just old age/balance stuff. She's a little slow on stairs and the like, but she can walk just fine. Uneven ground at real Mayan ruins, with uneven steps and rocky walkways would probably take the enjoyment out of it for her. Snorkeling is out because just getting fins on FOR ME is a tough task at my age, much less hers. So we won't need a scooter. Just some low key activities. And indeed, that's why I picked a cruise over WDW for her. A much slower pace. We do plan to get a few spa treatments in while we're onboard.

We're scheduled for early dining. I've considered Palo, but am opting away from it. Mom eats like a bird. A typical lunch out with a girlfriend with her is a half sandwich and a cup of broth soup. She eats the soup, then wraps the sandwich up and takes it home for dinner. I just don't think she'd enjoy Palo nearly as much as I would. But thanks for the suggestion!

Can you do pre-booking onboard with points?

Renee

Renee,

To get a discount using points for another cruise, contact DVC within 3 business days after you get off the ship. I booked the Vancouver-LA cruise on the Wonder for September 2013 the day after we got off the Dream last month. We got the 10% discount on points, however, the DVC rep mentioned that we have 7 days post-cruise to get the discounted points. That was the first time I heard of this, but just to be safe, I would still book within the 3 day post-cruise window. Of course, there's the $95 one time booking fee.

The spa is a fun place to spend time. Although the rainforest pass is not on the prebooking menu, check it out when you go to the spa. The biggest draw to the rainforest room is the heated lounge chairs. I believe a one day pass, unlimited use, is $16. There are also multi-day passes available, as well. On the day we board the Magic visit the spa for a tour, even if you have pre-booked a treatment, plus they have a raffle for free stuff.

We have early dining as well. I can't handle starting dinner at 8:15 pm and finishing around 10pm. That's much too late for me.

Jan

Thanks for all the information, Jan. While this is my first cruise, now that DCL has so many more port choices and cruise variations, I suspect this won't be my last! As a single woman, it'll be nice to have choices with my DVC points. And I really suspect I won't be able to get off the ship without booking another cruise. :rolleyes1

Don't dare want to touch this subject on the DCL board, but wanted a bit of your input. Formal and semi-formal nights. We will dress up. Let's not go into that debate. But my question is, how dressy is okay? Doesn't make sense to buy Mom a formal gown for one night's use. Will Mom's nice "Church" dresses be appropriate for dinner on any given night?

Again, thanks for all your insider help.

Renee

Renee, your mom wearing a "church" dress is fine for any night she wishes to wear one. You will see all types of dress on formal and semi-formal nights, including cruise casual.

On formal night, there will be a handful of men in tuxes; more men in suits/jackets; and many more in shirt/ties or shirts without ties. You will see more women dressed up, a few formal-type dresses, some cocktail type dresses, sundresses, etc., and many in dress slacks/blouses. You will see lots of little princesses.

On pirate night, you will see quite a few "pirates", and the dining rooms are much more casual - dress down attire. Our servers will be in pirate dress, as well.

On semi and formal nights, I usually wear black slacks and a nicer than work top. I will wear capris on several nights, sometimes jeans on pirate night.

In my experience in the dining rooms, I am so busy with getting to my table, talking to whoever is seated at my table, interacting with the servers about the menu, drinks, etc., that I don't "see" what others are wearing. And, I've been at some tables where my back is to the entrance and I see no one walking into the restaurant. I'm saying this as I often read about how someone's dress might affect the outcome of another's vacation, etc. Really??? It doesn't matter! I chuckle when I read some of those threads. The way the dining rooms are laid out, you cannot see everyone in the dining rooms due to their sheer size.

Jan

Thanks Jan. Fully understand. My questions are more to placate Mom. She'll want to do what's right, not necessarily what makes her feel comfortable or what others do. She's just a bit old school, so she'll want to appease her host: Mickey and DCL. I'm sure we'll look fine and Mom won't say a thing about how others dress. It's about her doing the right thing.

I'm looking forward to Pirate night! I'll be in WDW the week of November 9-16 (a few weeks before our cruise - I'm running the Wine & Dine Half Marathon), so I'm gonna stop by the PotC gift shop and pick up an eye patch or two. Maybe a hook. Aaarrrrr!

Renee

Jan-

What can you tell me about the weather we should expect that time of year cruising. I understand if it's cool, the onboard pools will be heated. Will the water in the Caribbean be warm enough for my 78 year old mother? Shorts, or no shorts? Sleeveless anything? Or sleeves on everything? I know you can't tell me EXACTLY, but just looking at historical data for Cozumel and the Caymens, we should see the upper 70's and lower 80's. Ish.

Thanks for your input and feedback!

Renee

I finally made it out here! I'm 4 of JanDaves 10! I'll get the other 5 out here soon. My husband and I have been going through withdrawls. Our last cruise was the 14 day transatlantic in Sept 2010. We can't wait to get back home!! :grouphug: Glad to meet everyone!

Jan-

What can you tell me about the weather we should expect that time of year cruising. I understand if it's cool, the onboard pools will be heated. Will the water in the Caribbean be warm enough for my 78 year old mother? Shorts, or no shorts? Sleeveless anything? Or sleeves on everything? I know you can't tell me EXACTLY, but just looking at historical data for Cozumel and the Caymens, we should see the upper 70's and lower 80's. Ish.

Thanks for your input and feedback!

Renee

Renee, your research is about right. I would expect the weather to be warm when we are on the ship. Being in Texas, I would assume Galveston will be warm in late November, correct? The onboard pools are always heated, no matter what time of year. I'll do some checking about Caribbean water for all of us. Shorts for sure; maybe some capris or long slacks, especially in the evening as some of the dining rooms and theater may feel cool to her. Have her pack a button down sweater or light jacket, just in case.

Jan

I finally made it out here! I'm 4 of JanDaves 10! I'll get the other 5 out here soon. My husband and I have been going through withdrawls. Our last cruise was the 14 day transatlantic in Sept 2010. We can't wait to get back home!! :grouphug: Glad to meet everyone!

:thumbsup2

Two of my six grandchildren, plus an "adopted" grandchild will be on board with us. Can't wait!!!!! :cheer2:

Jan

Thanks for doing the weather research, Jan! I'm visiting Mom over Labor Day Weekend and we'll be doing some clothes shopping for her then.

Looks like quite a brood is coming down from Michigan with you. You'll be filling a table or two in the dining rooms, I'm sure. Now it'll be easier to spot you. The HUGE family! Of course, I guess with it being the week after Thanksgiving, there might be lots of family gathering on this ship.

Been reading a few trip reports and getting excited about the impending sailing! Woo hoo!

Hi Renee, you will see lots of multi-generational families on board, and we'll be one of them! By the way, all of us are from Michigan.

Only 15 weeks from this Saturday before we board the beautiful Magic! :dance3:

Jan

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter