Not So Scary Halloween...Advice Please

Last year DH and I went. We jumped in line for Jack and Sally during the first parade. It was perfect. We actually had a pretty decent view of the parade from the line for Jack and Sally. The line wasn't very long at that time, and we got out just before fireworks started. It was perfect!

For those that have gone...how is the lighting for character pictures at night?

This is great...thank you so much! As of now, I plan on getting to the park earlier in the day (I have an annual pass), hit a few rides, and maybe around 5:30ish get on the dwarves line...

This is a good plan. Jack and Sally were our priority last year, and they were doing surprise early appearances at 6:00 p.m. We saw them and decided to go check the Dwarves' line, thinking maybe we could actually get them in too. We got there by 6:15, and the line was already to the point where it looked like it was going to be well over an hour wait after the Dwarves came out at 7:00. We got in line for Jack and Sally around 5:30 and noticed that at 5:45 the line really started building. If you got there at 5:40, you were pretty good, but at 5:50 you were way back. I think 5:30 for the Dwarves is a good plan.

The Haunted Mansion is terrific. Be sure and listen to some stories by Carlotta or Renatta (the ghost on the lawn). There is a spot outside of the line where you can stand and listen, and they are very entertaining. You can ask Carlotta how she died and get quite a story (I'm sure Renatta can spin a good tale too). Right in front of that area is the ghost carriage- be sure and get a picture there because it will have a ghost driver special effect. Also, somewhere in the HM area will be a place to take a photo that will have a hitchhiking ghost ( or a couple of them) in it. It seems to move. Two years ago it was right by Columbia Harbor House. Last year it was right by the exit of HM. It was a little hidden away last year and there was no line. It is one of my favorite pictures.

Last year they had the old hag (Snow White Witch) with her apples for the first time. We thought those pictures turned out great and they were something you can not get all the time. You will also find Minnie, Daisy, and Donald in Halloween costumes back back by the circus area. Daisy and Minnie usually have separate lines right where new Fantasyland goes into the Circus area. Donald had met with Daisy in the past, but last year he met with Goofy back by the Barnstormer. Goofy wears the same flight suit he wears during the day in that area, but the picture is outside and might turn out a little cuter than with the poor lighting in his meet and great area (ours have the last 2 years). Pooh and the gang have Halloween costumes- their line tends to get long too. If you get on KennythePirate.com, he has a Halloween party section that will give you an idea of the characters that are typically there.

MNSSHP is terrific. The whole atmosphere of the park is wonderful. Have a great time!

For those that have gone...how is the lighting for character pictures at night?

Our character pictures have always turned out great at night at MNSSHP. One other great picture spot is up in the Town Square area in the center circle, they will have pumpkins set up so you stand between them with the castle in the back. I love that shot. That one actually tends to come out better before it gets really dark though. I would try it both ways. Our after dark one there always seems blurry or dark, but the one before dark always turns out fine. We actually did get one great one of DD there by herself after dark- but we have yet to get one of the 3 of us there after dark that has turned out well.

I use MNSSHP as a chance to ride the Fantasyland rides that are super crowded during the day, And I always catch the first parade. I get character autographs as I come to them.

Tickets for the event just went on sale today...discounts for Annual Passholders and DVC.

Our strategies for the characters has been:

Line up for Rapunzel/Flynn as soon as allowed (generally around 6:35ish). This gives us a wait of around 40 minutes, 25 minutes of which is non-party time.
Line up for the Dwarfs as the first parade is starting. Doing this, our wait has varied between 20 and 35 minutes.
Watch 2nd parade in Frontierland, sit near walkway to Adventureland. As soon as parade passes by, turn and head into Adventureland to meet Jack Sparrow. We have waited for him between 0 and 10 minutes using this strategy.

So we can knock out 3 high-priority character M&Gs with less than an hour wait total. Not too shabby!

In between the Prince/Princess M&G and the parade is when we catch the villains stage show. After that and after meeting the Dwarfs is when we do most of our TOTing and ride riding, though we tend to hit some candy trails and a ride or two after the second parade as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter