Northern European port excursions?

PHamrick

Mouseketeer
We are booked on a Northern European cruise for summer of 2018. For people who have done this cruise before, or are about to go on it soon, what excursions did you do? Did you book a tour? Explore on your own? The more specific advice you have the better. And photos of different ports/excursions would be great!

I feel like with this cruise, what we are going to do in the port will make or break the cruise. Thanks!!!

We did Disney excursions in 3 of 4 ports, in St Petersburg we booked with Anastasia Travel and that was the best tour I ever had, I told her what I want and they did that and more.

what we did DIY and tour:
Stockholm: take the HO-HO that picks up right at the pier (get SEK for the Ho-Ho (Swedish $$) before you leave the US--they are not on the euro). Take the Ho-HO to downtown and walk around. You can go into the Palace, etc. but the BEST place was the Livrustkammaren. Founded in 1633, it is also Sweden's oldest museum. Set in the palace vaults, this armory isn't just about weapons but displays some of the world's most magnificent state coaches and coronation robes, even the costume worn by Gustav III at a fatal masked ball. (The king was assassinated at the 1792 ball, and the incident inspired Verdi to write his opera The Masked Ball.) They have a free kit that you can borrow for the kids--it is a box with a fake mouse and you find clues throughout the museum. My kids (9, 13) spent 2 hours doing this--super fun. They also have a good dress up place, as well. We got the combo Ho-HO ticket and also took a boat tour. We did not have time to see the Viking ship (on the HO-HO bus/boat line).
Tallin--easy to walk from pier to town and they have costumed persons selling nuts, sodas, etc.--very festive. Plus, you can do archery outside the fort with Red Riding Hood type costumed workers. Large square in center of town to get food, etc. Tallin looks like a storybook village from a fairy tale. Easy DIY.
St. P was DD9's favorite spot. We used TJ tours for a 11 hour private tour. Will use them again for 2018.
In CPN, we got the CPH card and used it for train from airport to city(easy, safe, 10 minutes), entrance to tivoli, entrance to Rosenburg Slot. We took a taxi from hotel to port for about $35. CPH is a nice, walkable city. Elaine

Last edited:
We did the free walking tour in Copenhagen. It was great. I also read Rick Steves guide to Northern European Cruise Ports. This book was very helpful and informative.

We did ports on our own with the exception of St. Petersburg. We were traveling with kids 5 and 11 at the time, so that played a big part in planning our days as a family. We took a taxi to the maritime and World War II museum and then took a taxi to the top of town. We wandered around town, doing a little shopping and stopping for some hot chocolate and desserts to share before walking back down the hill to the port. It is easily walkable if you just want to go into town. In St. Petersburg we did the "shopping" excursion through Disney. We used our time to visit the Church on the Spilled Blood. We got there before it even opened and were some of the first in line. We got to explore and enjoy the church with less than fifty people total. We walked along one of the canals and then got some Russian treats at the Grand Hotel. Our son fell in love with caviar on our first Disney cruise when he had just turned 7, so we surprised him a caviar tasting. My husband and I shared a vodka sampling and some stoganoff. I also tried borscht which was very yummy. We did a little shopping at the store right by our tour bus and headed back to the ship. My husband and I did the Disney excursion for a private viewing in the Hermitage with a concert. It is one of the most special memories of my life. In Helsinki we took a taxi to the Church in the Rock and then walked to a nearby natural history museum. We then walked through town stopping at the silent chapel and walking to the parliament building and then down to the waterfront area. In Stockholm we took a taxi to Junibakken which is great for kids and about Pippi Longstockings and other books by Astrid Lindgren. We spent WAY more time here than we thought that we would and also had a lovely lunch here before walking over to Skansen. The Vasa museum and the Abba museum are also in this area, so there are quite a few options close together. We had a wonderful time and hope you enjoy your cruise.

Stockholm was one of our favorite ports. Disney provided a free shuttle into town. We did our own tour: Gamla Stan, Ice Bar, Grand Hotel for lunch, and then a ferry to the Vasa museum. We did all of that by walking, but taxi'd from the museum back to the port. Agree with the above posters on their recommendations as well. Be sure and visit Tivoli gardens in Copenhagen if you get a chance. I second the Rick Steves guide to Northern European Cruise Ports. This is a great cruise! Have fun!!

I am booked for the May 28th, 2017 cruise. I booked all private except for Stockholm - cause I plan to visit the vasa, royal armory, and Gamla Stan on my own by taxi or boat. The private tour for Stockholm was to ridiculous in cost, since most museums are free for children and are not expensive. Taxis run 50 dollars for 4 to most locals and the museums offer free guided tours with admissions. I am traveling with my husband and 2 children (son 11 and daughter 7). The tour would of been (1200+) for just one port for 6 hours - not worth it. I chose Estonian Experience for Estonia and Helsinki. Anastasia Travel for St. Petersburg. Both these companies are highly rated and dealing with them was easy. Payment and confirmation was a breeze. They will completely customize your tour - omit or add anything within reason. I agree with you about the excursions making or braking this cruise. I've been on a Disney cruise before and found that there excursions are not worth it - to rushed and done terribly. Waiting, waiting, and waiting for 50 people. I rather splurge then waste my money and time. I did my research for a year before finalizing everything thx to disboards. My cruise has a Facebook page and I'm sure yours will too - as more people book this cruise. On this Facebook page people made there own private tours together to off set costs if going alone was to expensive. These companies give you a lot better rate with more people. I chose to go completely private (only my family) but you may be able to meet another family that would love to join you. On my cruise a lot of families did this. Private is the way to go in these ports - on your own (Rick Steves Northern European Ports book like previous cruisers mentioned) or with a private company. I'm also staying in Copenhagen prior and on my return from the cruise for a few days. Copenhagen card is the way to go cause all your transit is covered and popular tourist sites. There website will help you decide if its right for you. Good luck on your future cruise!!

Highly recommend the Rick Steves Northern Europe cruise book! Yes, I cut it apart into chapters as they recommend and took it with us onshore. In Tallin, we used his self guided tour and it was easy.

Anastasia Tours in St. Petersburg was perfect. We were able to customize our day and had just 4 of us on an 11 hour tour.

We got in late to Helsinki because of fog and didn't have much time there. Took a Disney tour to the Church in the Rock. Didn't feel like we got a good value on that day.

We spent half a day on a Disney tour in Stockholm, then left the group to explore on our own and caught a cruise ship shuttle back to the boat. Book a dinner at Palo when you are departing Stockholm that evening. You will have a beautiful view of the archipelago from the windows of Palo. The trip through the archipelago takes a couple of hours and it was one of our favorite memories of the trip!

Wish we had more time in Copenhagen. We stayed the night at the Tivoli Hotel and it was great. It is easy to walk around and we enjoyed the Stroget, the long shopping street. We wanted to spend the evening at Tivoli Gardens but by the time we got checked into the Tivoli, it was too late and it was raining hard.

You will have a wonderful trip. Take warm clothes like a hat and gloves and a warm jacket and pants. We went in July and were thankful we had packed these items.

We are booked on a Northern European cruise for summer of 2018. For people who have done this cruise before, or are about to go on it soon, what excursions did you do? Did you book a tour? Explore on your own? The more specific advice you have the better. And photos of different ports/excursions would be great!

I feel like with this cruise, what we are going to do in the port will make or break the cruise. Thanks!!![/QUO

Hi I'm also going on the 2018 Northern European cruise. Are you planning on doing pre or post night stays?

I feel like with this cruise, what we are going to do in the port will make or break the cruise. Thanks!!!

We did Disney excursions in 3 of 4 ports, in St Petersburg we booked with Anastasia Travel and that was the best tour I ever had, I told her what I want and they did that and more.

I agree, St Petersburg is a pain to do n your own, but I highly suggest doing a private tour through Anastasia SPB or another

We are going to do a few days beforehand in Amsterdam and a few days afterwards in Copenhagen. Probably will be gone about 2 weeks for the whole trip!

We also did a private tour with Anastasia travel in St. Petersburg, it was one of the best tours we've ever done.

We're also doing the 2018 7 nt Northern European cruise, so I'm eagerly reading all these posts! Thank you to everyone replying to the OP!

Highly recommend the Rick Steves Northern Europe cruise book! Yes, I cut it apart into chapters as they recommend and took it with us onshore. In Tallin, we used his self guided tour and it was easy.

Anastasia Tours in St. Petersburg was perfect. We were able to customize our day and had just 4 of us on an 11 hour tour.

We got in late to Helsinki because of fog and didn't have much time there. Took a Disney tour to the Church in the Rock. Didn't feel like we got a good value on that day.

We spent half a day on a Disney tour in Stockholm, then left the group to explore on our own and caught a cruise ship shuttle back to the boat. Book a dinner at Palo when you are departing Stockholm that evening. You will have a beautiful view of the archipelago from the windows of Palo. The trip through the archipelago takes a couple of hours and it was one of our favorite memories of the trip!

Wish we had more time in Copenhagen. We stayed the night at the Tivoli Hotel and it was great. It is easy to walk around and we enjoyed the Stroget, the long shopping street. We wanted to spend the evening at Tivoli Gardens but by the time we got checked into the Tivoli, it was too late and it was raining hard.

You will have a wonderful trip. Take warm clothes like a hat and gloves and a warm jacket and pants. We went in July and were thankful we had packed these items.
I also highly recommend Rick Steves' books! He also has one for Mediterranean cruise ports: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...rick+steves+cruise,aps,191&crid=1VPRAIOSRYE6L

We used Alla Tours for 3 days in St. Petersburg in 2014 (Royal Caribbean Ultimate Scandinavia/Russia cruise): https://alla-tour.com/

I second that having done Med in 2013 and Baltic 2015 and doing the Dover-Barcelona this year. Rick Steves also has a Denmark book. The other one I would suggest is Lonely Planet Pocket Copenhagen if you are hanging around post-cruise

I second that having done Med in 2013 and Baltic 2015 and doing the Dover-Barcelona this year. Rick Steves also has a Denmark book. The other one I would suggest is Lonely Planet Pocket Copenhagen if you are hanging around post-cruise

I just ordered the Rick Steves book, looking forward to reading it! I will check out the LP Pocket Copenhagen, but lucky for me my neighbor just got back from a State Department tour of Copenhagen for the last four years. She is so excited that we are going and is planning out our itinerary for us!

Stockholm was one of our favorite ports. Disney provided a free shuttle into town.

Will this be the case for Northern European cruises to Stockholm this summer too? This would be perfect for us as I was definitely leaning to do Stockholm on our own - we will be there for the 11-Jun-2017 sailing this year. I booked Disney port adventure as placeholders for now, but I too read Rick's book and all the ports seem so accessible on our own (except St. Petersburg because of the expensive Visa requirements if not on a tour). Anyone have more details on the Stockholm Disney shuttle such as where it drops/picks-up, how long it runs, etc?

Highly recommend the Rick Steves Northern Europe cruise book! Yes, I cut it apart into chapters as they recommend and took it with us onshore.
Yep Rick Steves Country or City books are invaluable. I have not read his cruising books yet but I assume that they are filled with info to help you do a day trip in each location.

:scared1: You did WHAT to a BOOK!!! :earseek: Yea, that what he wants us to do with them, but its a REAL BOOK!!! You shouldn't vandalize books!! (I am NOT a librarian)

We did DCL cruises in most of the ports. In some cities (Copenhagen - had our tour drop us off near Tiviloi, Stockholm - bus back into town) when our tour was over we went out and explored on our own. Research public transportation! and in some ports there is transpiration provided into the "center of town" - Stockholm and Helsinki come to mind.

Yes what you do in these ports is what this cruise is all about.

Will this be the case for Northern European cruises to Stockholm this summer too? This would be perfect for us as I was definitely leaning to do Stockholm on our own - we will be there for the 11-Jun-2017 sailing this year. I booked Disney port adventure as placeholders for now, but I too read Rick's book and all the ports seem so accessible on our own (except St. Petersburg because of the expensive Visa requirements if not on a tour). Anyone have more details on the Stockholm Disney shuttle such as where it drops/picks-up, how long it runs, etc?

They had shuttles at all ports except Tallinn and St. Petersburg. It is not advertised and there is no guarantee, but usually this happens. Sorry that I do not know where the shuttles dropped off, we did not want to waste any of our port times and grabbed taxis instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter