NOOOOOO...just read they will no longer have the 24-layer cake!

Many of my favorites have disappeared, too. I get that times change, but when the disappearance results in degradation of quality, it makes me sad. In particular, I'm thinking of the treats you used to be able to buy at the candy shops. Most of my favorites just suddenly vanished (nut clusters in caramel, Mickey truffles, etc) to be replaced by things that are much cheaper to make but still sell for more money. Rice Krispy treats? Marshmallow? Won't waste my money. They used to have a salmon salad at that little Harbor Galley place across from HM that had this big, tasty chunk of salmon and a great salad, too. And it's not just DL; Ralph Brennan's decided to change my absolute favorite dessert, their chocolate bread pudding. It used to be a souffle that came with little containers of dark and white chocolate you could pour into it. Now, it's a cakey thing that just has some stripes of chocolate already in place. When that's what I got, I sent it back. But on the positive side, there have been new additions that have pleased me! There are a lot more dining options, too. I'm sad about all of those things I mentioned that have disappeared, but all of them were costlier to make and likely required more time. I'd have paid more to keep them but most people seem satisfied with the replacements and probably won't even know those things ever existed in a few years.

Yep, all of it makes sense if it saves them money. Unfortunately, besides giving Naples another try (and really liking it), I haven’t found any new items/places that I love.

Is the 24 layer cake really gone? I'm really going to miss it on my next trip. I love that cake. We liked to bring it back to our hotel room and snack on it over a couple of days. Is there a comparable chocolate cake sold anywhere else at the resort, even if it's only 2 layers?

Ugh, was really looking forward to having DH's uncle try this when we all go together next year. He LOVES chocolate cake. If it's really gone, are there any other delicious chocolate cakes we can offer as a consulation?

Last edited:
There used to be a really good chocolate cake at the Plaza Inn too, but I think it might have been discontinued somewhere along the way too. :(

Ugh, was really looking forward to having DH's uncle try this when we all go together next year. He LOVES chocolate cake. If it's really gone, are there any other delicious chocolate cakes we can offer as a consulation?
If you can manage a trip to Buena Park, go to Portos Bakery. Their Parisian chocolate cake is soooooo good. They also have an opera cake and chocolate roulade that are yummy.

Can anyone tell me how the 8 layer chocolate hazelnut cake at Blue Bayou compares taste-wise to the 24-layer cake? I noticed it's a choice on the Fantasmic! dining package menu.

Can anyone tell me how the 8 layer chocolate hazelnut cake at Blue Bayou compares taste-wise to the 24-layer cake? I noticed it's a choice on the Fantasmic! dining package menu.
I didn't know about this! I'll be curious to hear what people have to say about it. Normally I'm not a fan of hazelnut, but there are definite exceptions.

It won't be coming back. It was a copy of the 23 layer cake served at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse. It can be found at the various Michael Jordan Steakhouses.
Boo hoo!! I really loved it, but have to admit it was far too large for just one person to eat. That worked well when I was with a group of friends because 4 of us ordered one piece and still couldn't finish it :)

Boo hoo!! I really loved it, but have to admit it was far too large for just one person to eat. That worked well when I was with a group of friends because 4 of us ordered one piece and still couldn't finish it :)
As possible substitutes for future DLR trips:
Porto's chocolate cake (https://www.portosbakery.com/items/parisian-cake-9/) -- as mentioned above, this is very popular -- more of a fluffy chocolate cake, if that's your thing -- Porto's is in Buena Park
Susiecakes -- in Costa Mesa -- Old Fashioned 6 Layer Chocolate Cake -- also very popular -- this is more of a fudgy chocolate cake if that's your thing -- if you stack 4 slices on top of each other, that's a 24 layer cake! Who says math isn't handy?!
Does Cheesecake Factory at GardenWalk still have the large slices of chocolate cake?
Not cake, but so good and very chocolatey:
The Pie Hole in Orange -- Mexican Chocolate Pie -- very dense, dark, rich chocolate with a spicy profile -- with real whipped cream -- major yum!
Not that I have a thing for chocolate or anything like that... maybe I just really need the antioxidants!

Last edited:
As possible substitutes for future DLR trips:
Porto's chocolate cake (https://www.portosbakery.com/items/parisian-cake-9/) -- as mentioned above, this is very popular -- more of a fluffy chocolate cake, if that's your thing -- Porto's is in Buena Park
Susiecakes -- in Costa Mesa -- Old Fashioned 6 Layer Chocolate Cake -- also very popular -- this is more of a fudgy chocolate cake if that's your thing -- if you stack 4 slices on top of each other, that's a 24 layer cake! Who says math isn't handy?!
Does Cheesecake Factory at GardenWalk still have the large slices of chocolate cake?
Not cake, but so good and very chocolatey:
The Pie Hole in Orange -- Mexican Chocolate Pie -- very dense, dark, rich chocolate with a spicy profile -- with real whipped cream -- major yum!
Not that I have a thing for chocolate or anything like that... maybe I just really need the antioxidants!
Ah, thank you! Good to know! I have been to Porto's a few times but not to order cake. I don't generally like cake very much, which is why I liked the 24-layer--it's mostly filling! LOL. Just went to Cheesecake Factory last week at Garden Walk but didn't order dessert so I'm not sure about the chocolate cake; however, if I order dessert there it's going to be cheesecake :D. Mexican Chocolate Pie? That sounds awesome!! I don't know where Orange is but I'll have to check it out.

Just looked it up and it's a bit of a drive from my daughter's house in La Habra but it's not far from DLR! New place to check out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!