NOOOOOO...just read they will no longer have the 24-layer cake!

My husband linked me the article and I almost cried, it was soooooo amazing. I dont think I'll ever get over this..like the Hungry Bear taking away my beloved bubble bee cupcake. Sigh.

Well, I no longer have any reason to go to S55. Those new desserts don't sound at all appetizing to me. We used to get slices of the cake to take home with us! I wish they had given some notice, although it wouldn't have helped my son who is away at college. :sad1:

I just took my twins for a very quick trip to celebrate their Sweet 16. We were going to get it--we actually stayed at DLH--but they were having so much fun running around in the parks that we never got around to it. I could really kick myself now!

I have never had it, but where is the "Disney bakery"? It sounds like they are still being made somewhere? If so where are they served?

:wizard:
I don't know. I presume it's backstage somewhere and serves the whole resort. The article says that DLH (Steakhouse 55 kitchen?) will now be making their desserts in-house, but your question raises an interesting point! Will the Disney bakery begin supplying the 24-layer cake at another Disneyland venue?? We can surely hope! Also, this information is "according to a server at Steakhouse 55" so possibly that server is incorrect, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Here's the linked article above, and I agree with wowsmom that those new desserts don't sound very appealing:

According to a server at Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel, Friday night the restaurant served its signature 24 Layer Chocolate Cake for the final time.

According to the Cast Member, desserts for iconic restaurant were being made at the Disneyland Resort’s central bakery. Starting this week, all of the desserts will now be made in-house.

Items on the new dessert menu include:

• Brown Butter Sugar Cookie [$12.00] – Bourbon sabayon, Tahitian vanilla ice cream, smoked salt, orange tuile
  • Vanilla Creme Brulee [$12.00] – Sumac glazed peaches, fresh blue berries, whipped lemon cream, sweet meringue
  • Sourdough Bread Pudding [$12.00] – Caramel sauce, sherry macerated cherries, powdered sugar, toffee ice cream
  • Chocolate Banana Tart [$12.00] – Manjari chocolate ganache, banana sponge, chocolate chantilly, candied hazelnut.
The dessert menu still features a Cheese Plate [$17.00] that includes Shaft’s Blue, Cypress Grove Midnight Moon Aged Goat, Bravo Silver Mountain Cheddar, Bellweather Farms San Andreas Manchego, and Marin County Camembert.

Ehhh, I'm ok with it. It was very good, but with desserts, I never care if they get rid of something. There is always something sweeter and tastier that they could come up with. Desserts come and go all the time.

However, if they wanted to remove the Filet off the menu, that's a whole diff ballgame there...

RIDICULOUS, STUPID decision!! BOO on them! NONE of the "new" desserts even remotely make up for the loss of that spectacular cake!

If this is true, everyone here should register a complaint along with calling Steakhouse 55 directly. Anyone know the best place to comment that might actually reach the correct people?

Does anyone remember the huge slice of chocolate cake you could get at the Golden Horseshoe? Is that still available there or anywhere else?
I don't know exactly where the central bakery is located, but that is where the WOC Dessert Party plates are put together. When you note an allergy request, someone from the central bakery contacts you to discuss what you can/can't have and how your dessert plate can be adjusted.

I'm in the minority. I did not like the 24 layer cake. Those new desserts sound amazing! All of them! I think they are a huge improvement over the old dessert menu.

I’ve never had the chocolate cake at SH55 but I’ve noticed a lot of my favorite foods have disappeared from the parks. I used to love to go to Cafe Orleans and get the citrus chicken salad (don’t remember the exact name of it) and a slice of their coconut cake. Those have both been off the menu for awhile now. Haven’t been back to Cafe Orleans since they got rid of the coconut cake.

WCT was one of my absolute favorite places to get lunch. They’ve changed the menu quite a bit. We used to love the turkey pesto sandwich or they had a simple pasta dish with olive oil, tomatoes and garlic. Both of those items are gone. You can’t even get a sandwich there anymore. We skipped it our last trip. It used to be a place we always ate at.

I’m not a big fan of the re-done menu at Whitewater Snacks either. They still have a few things I like though so that’s nice!

And lastly, the Cove Bar. I don’t know why they replaced something that was clearly so popular! They could’ve still put LL downstairs and left CB upstairs. I loved the Cove Bar. Not as big of a fan of its replacement.

I get they are trying to make the menu’s fancier and maybe more appealing to foodies. I’m not a foodie but am bummed my favorites that I used to look forward to are gone!

I’ve never had the chocolate cake at SH55 but I’ve noticed a lot of my favorite foods have disappeared from the parks. I used to love to go to Cafe Orleans and get the citrus chicken salad (don’t remember the exact name of it) and a slice of their coconut cake. Those have both been off the menu for awhile now. Haven’t been back to Cafe Orleans since they got rid of the coconut cake.

WCT was one of my absolute favorite places to get lunch. They’ve changed the menu quite a bit. We used to love the turkey pesto sandwich or they had a simple pasta dish with olive oil, tomatoes and garlic. Both of those items are gone. You can’t even get a sandwich there anymore. We skipped it our last trip. It used to be a place we always ate at.

I’m not a big fan of the re-done menu at Whitewater Snacks either. They still have a few things I like though so that’s nice!

And lastly, the Cove Bar. I don’t know why they replaced something that was clearly so popular! They could’ve still put LL downstairs and left CB upstairs. I loved the Cove Bar. Not as big of a fan of its replacement.

I get they are trying to make the menu’s fancier and maybe more appealing to foodies. I’m not a foodie but am bummed my favorites that I used to look forward to are gone!

Many of my favorites have disappeared, too. I get that times change, but when the disappearance results in degradation of quality, it makes me sad. In particular, I'm thinking of the treats you used to be able to buy at the candy shops. Most of my favorites just suddenly vanished (nut clusters in caramel, Mickey truffles, etc) to be replaced by things that are much cheaper to make but still sell for more money. Rice Krispy treats? Marshmallow? Won't waste my money. They used to have a salmon salad at that little Harbor Galley place across from HM that had this big, tasty chunk of salmon and a great salad, too. And it's not just DL; Ralph Brennan's decided to change my absolute favorite dessert, their chocolate bread pudding. It used to be a souffle that came with little containers of dark and white chocolate you could pour into it. Now, it's a cakey thing that just has some stripes of chocolate already in place. When that's what I got, I sent it back. But on the positive side, there have been new additions that have pleased me! There are a lot more dining options, too. I'm sad about all of those things I mentioned that have disappeared, but all of them were costlier to make and likely required more time. I'd have paid more to keep them but most people seem satisfied with the replacements and probably won't even know those things ever existed in a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!