Non-accessible resort busses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norandran

Earning My Ears
We arrived yesterday and I am seeing a trend from pop century where the resort busses are not all wheelchair accessible. Sometimes we have waited for two or three busses to go by that cannot load an ecv or wheelchair. Is this normal? I was not expecting to have transportation issues while here, I understand that sometimes we have to wait because there are others ahead of us in line and the busses can only accommodate so many but this issue boggles the mind.

We arrived yesterday and I am seeing a trend from pop century where the resort busses are not all wheelchair accessible. Sometimes we have waited for two or three busses to go by that cannot load an ecv or wheelchair. Is this normal? I was not expecting to have transportation issues while here, I understand that sometimes we have to wait because there are others ahead of us in line and the busses can only accommodate so many but this issue boggles the mind.

If you are still there, be sure to ask a CM (especially if you see one out by the buses in the mornings) why they are not using accessible buses. And you can always contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com - since you are there now, it may have more immediate impact.

This just feels wrong on several levels to me... but we have to let Disney know that it is impacting their Guests - they can't fix what they don't realize is wrong, and Disability Services is the best place to start (Guest Relations is another good place to mention this as well). I encourage anyone impacted by this to take a few minutes to let them know.

They have been using some additional coach buses since re-opening last summer due to the limited capacity on the buses. There have been mixed reports about accessibility. Be sure to speak to a CM about it.
I will if no one says anything they won’t realize the impact. The busses are again packing everyone in so hopefully they switch back to full accessibility soon.

The Value resorts have augmented their regular buses with ‘tour style’ buses, similar style to Magical Express buses at busy times pretty much since they opened.
This has been because of the large numbers of guests at those resorts. From what I’ve read, in the past, it was mostly at park opening and closing.
With lowered bus capacity, I expect they were using those buses more often.

We didn't have a problem in February but I remember years ago when they had the lifts it seemed that a lot of them were broken and couldn't load. The only problem we had in Feb was bus drivers loading people into the wheelchair spaces and then telling us too bad.

Yep. Was the same situation at AoA. Pretty darn frustrating when you had to sit and wait for the next bus only to find out it wasn't able to take you and had to wait for the next next bus. Ended up being the only person on a bus leaving AK one night. By then I was completely annoyed by the whole situation and wasn't in the best of moods.

Buses are back to being loaded to standing room only, so less need for coach style buses to augment the regular ones. Should still expect to see them for park opening and closing runs

Buses are back to being loaded to standing room only, so less need for coach style buses to augment the regular ones. Should still expect to see them for park opening and closing runs
Actually, talking with a bus driver yesterday, they are supposed to be limited to 15 people standing at a maximum right now.

We are at OKW, so the coach style buses won't fit here, but I can tell you they are definitely using them throughout the day at the other resorts, even when there are a lot of Disney buses parked doing nothing. So I am guessing it is more a staffing issue than an equipment issue and it is something the need to be addressed with disability services.

Actually, talking with a bus driver yesterday, they are supposed to be limited to 15 people standing at a maximum right now.

We are at OKW, so the coach style buses won't fit here, but I can tell you they are definitely using them throughout the day at the other resorts, even when there are a lot of Disney buses parked doing nothing.
Standing room - meaning they are no longer limiting capacity to just seated passengers, which they were doing last week. The drivers were counting the standers yesterday and asking for particular numbers of guests once all the seats were filled.
The tight turnarounds at OKW prevent using the coach style buses here, but they can be used if needed at other resorts that have more ‘straight’ bus paths.
From what I know, all the WDW bus drivers have not been called back yet because of not all resorts being open yet. The coach style buses are not WDW buses or drivers from what I understand; it’s a contract service.

Standing room - meaning they are no longer limiting capacity to just seated passengers, which they were doing last week. The drivers were counting the standers yesterday and asking for particular numbers of guests once all the seats were filled.
The tight turnarounds at OKW prevent using the coach style buses here, but they can be used if needed at other resorts that have more ‘straight’ bus paths.
From what I know, all the WDW bus drivers have not been called back yet because of not all resorts being open yet. The coach style buses are not WDW buses or drivers from what I understand; it’s a contract service.
Right, exactly what I was saying and I was pointing out that the coach style buses are being used all day long at other resorts, not just park opening and closing times unfortunately. It does seem the most common resorts for them to be used are the value resorts though.

Also have to add at OKW, figuring out how to get the scooters over the lip at the door was a challenge. Luckily, engineering came up with a solution. This isn't one of our home resorts, but we do love it here and everyone is so friendly, guests and cast members a like.

Last edited:
I ran into this same thing on my last trip (6/8-15): split-stay btw Bay Lake & Dolphin. There were all “normal” Disney buses at the Contemporary, but a lot of coach-style buses at the Dolphin. I had never stayed there before & thought it might just be “normal” for them, and since they’re not actually a Disney resort I never mentioned it to anyone… plus I have a fold & go, so I would ask the driver to please put it under the bus & I would slowly “crutch” my way up the stairs… but now I’m wondering if I should’ve said something at the front desk. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I ran into this same thing on my last trip (6/8-15): split-stay btw Bay Lake & Dolphin. There were all “normal” Disney buses at the Contemporary, but a lot of coach-style buses at the Dolphin. I had never stayed there before & thought it might just be “normal” for them, and since they’re not actually a Disney resort I never mentioned it to anyone… plus I have a fold & go, so I would ask the driver to please put it under the bus & I would slowly “crutch” my way up the stairs… but now I’m wondering if I should’ve said something at the front desk. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Swan and Dolphin isn't a Disney Resort, but from what I understand if you had mentioned something, they are very accommodating and would have figured something out.

a lot of coach-style buses at the Dolphin.
Swan and Dolphin used to use regular WDW buses with stops at the WDW bus stop areas at parks, but since last fall (maybe when WDW re-opened last summer) they no longer do. The buses are all coach-style and use the offsite bus stops at parks. Someone did report they are using accessible buses, though I haven't seen a lot of reports about it.

Swan and Dolphin used to use regular WDW buses with stops at the WDW bus stop areas at parks, but since last fall (maybe when WDW re-opened last summer) they no longer do. The buses are all coach-style and use the offsite bus stops at parks. Someone did report they are using accessible buses, though I haven't seen a lot of reports about it.
Yes, they did- my sister was with me and was noting all the changes! She actually stayed there last August, post-reopening, and Swolphin still dropped off MK guests in the regular Disney bus corral then (using all Disney buses). We were both pretty disappointed that they now drop off at the TTC bus lot… and a different bus area for AK as well.

They did still have several Disney-style buses being used at Swolphin this trip, but the majority appeared to be coach-style. That was just one week of my experience so who knows, but I think I rode on maybe only 1 or 2 Disney buses? My sister, however, rode on several (we were there at the same time- both at the Dolphin), but she also noted seeing way more coach-style buses pulling up.🤷🏻‍♀️

Swolphin still dropped off MK guests in the regular Disney bus corral then (using all Disney buses). We were both pretty disappointed that they now drop off at the TTC bus lot… and a different bus area for AK as well.
Oh- and actually, she stayed there last November too and was definitely still being dropped off at AK in the regular bus corral… I don’t think she went to MK from Dolphin on that trip, but I would think the changes in bus drop-offs happened simultaneously.

We didn't have a problem in February but I remember years ago when they had the lifts it seemed that a lot of them were broken and couldn't load. The only problem we had in Feb was bus drivers loading people into the wheelchair spaces and then telling us too bad.
Were those people at the bus stop first? Imagine waiting at the bus stop, it finally shows up just as a bunch of scooter riders show up, with their family. Happens all the time to walking guests.
The bus situation is annoying for everyone.

Were those people at the bus stop first? Imagine waiting at the bus stop, it finally shows up just as a bunch of scooter riders show up, with their family. Happens all the time to walking guests.
The bus situation is annoying for everyone.
Wheelchair space should always be loaded last for people without mobility issues. And always loaded first if there are scooters or wheelchairs or other mobility issues waiting. This is for everyone's safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts