"No we are not married"

Be glad it's your boyfriend. Lately I've been vacationing w/ my sister, and last month in Vegas, one of the timeshare people stopped us. She asked me if i was married, and I said no (my sis is but I did not say that). She then said, oh, you two ladies? She was Asian and had an accent, so I think she was asking if we were a couple! :earseek: I was like, "uhh, no she's my sister", but I don't know if she believed me.

I am 40, straight and never married. If I had a nickle for the number of times i've been asked if I was a lesbian by complete strangers, well, I wouldn't be rich, but I could probably afford a nice dinner at one of the WDW Signature restaurants! :rotfl: I would never come out and ask something like that to soemone I did know, much less a stranger! Some people ....

Lol.. I was about to start a thread on this b/c it happens several times a day when my bf and I are in WDW!!!!

The first couple times it happened it was kinda awkward- I think I usually said- no..we're way too young for that. Now we think its funny and say "If it gets us a free (meal..drink..front of the line..upgraded room, etc.) then SURE!

My boyfriend got in the hotseat at WWTBAM and the camera zoomed in on my face and and the host asked him "So when are you proposing to her??" OMG..how embarassing!! :rotfl:

On our last trip we were on the bus w/this family and one of their little girls was crying b/c she didn't want to wear her halloween costume- I don't blame her- she was wearing a tap dance outfit w/high heel tap shoes w/the metal taps on the bottom!! very slippery and dangerous

Anyways, she was only like 4 and kept crying and the mom was saying really nasty things like saying in a serious voice that she was putting her up for adoption when they got home b/c they can't deal w/this anymore, etc.

The father looked at us and asked if we were married. I smiled and said no and he said in a nasty tone "This is what you have to deal with when you have kids!" I thought that was kind of rude to say in front of children- I can't imagine ever saying that you regretted having your kids in front of them!

I think me and my BF are going to get a lot of this when we go in a month...

usually people mistake us for brother and sister though :confused3

Yes, I think this is pretty common. Probably more so for me because I wear one of those silver Mickey rings on my ring finger that looks like a engagment band from a far (there's actually a funny story about that, but I digress...)

My first trip with SO we had checked into AKL with his family (we were a Grand Gathering) and got on the bus to MK. It was totally empty (his family had gone to AK) and the bus driver asked us if were on our honeymoon! We'd been in WDW for about 45 minutes! We just laughed it off and said no.

We don't mind when people assume, but we usually do correct them, only because we want to save the honeymoon Magic for when we are *really* there on our honeymoon. But then again, we've been together almost two years and know we are getting married so it doesn't offend us at all.

lol, actually I find that it's usually other guests that always asked my (now) dh and I if we were married or on our honeymoon. Like when we had just started dating and this guy who was also waiting in line for the tiki room asked us if we were on our honeymoon (which was even funnier because my friend greg was with us) and then went on and on about young love. I personally think that it's adorable and never really bothered correcting anyone :)

now, a few months later, I had picked up a shift and my brother and dh (at the time still just bf) were playing in the park while they were waiting for me to get off work. When I met up with them later they were just gushing about how nice EVERYONE had been to them and then they started laughing because they realized that people had thought they were a couple. They still joke about the time they were "dating". :goodvibes

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have so enjoyed reading all these posts....thanks!

My DBF and I will be making our first trip together to WDW next year. I'm divorced and he's never been married, so it'll be interesting to see what names and comments we get. I'm sure we'll probably just use the polite "not yet" response...even though I'm not sure I'll ever get married again. Once might have been more than enough for me...time will tell. DBF is wonderful...so if it's anyone, I'm sure it'll be him! :love:

People do assume we're married when we go out to eat or shopping sometimes....I'm guilty of it myself at times when I strike up a conversation with people. I'm outgoing and friendly, I'm not trying to be rude...just pass the time standing in line or whatever and be friendly. I don't just bust out with "so are you married" but I may just make a comment about "your husband or your wife" which if it's not a good assumption sometimes I'm corrected on and I hadn't even realized I made the comment...

I personally think the older I get, the less and less I like using BF or GF...sounds so high school sometimes...but there's no "grown up" in between terminology...it's BF/GF to Fiance to DW/DH....SO sounds so politically correct...so I'm stuck with the BF/GF terms until I can come up with something more creative....any suggestions? ;)

Oh yes..."are you married?", "are you on your honeymoon?", " look at the happy couple"...we get them all, and after almost five years one would think they were true ;) I must say that the best comment was from our recent trip to Mexico "Oh, you are just practicing!" :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: That takes the cake! The reality is that we are just happy the way that we are and a marriage will not change a thing :wave2:

I have to admit, this has happened to DBF and I on both of our Disney trips together. It really was quite humorous and we made an on-going joke about who would say it and at what area of the World. We are now starting to get this in the "real world" too and, after 3 1/2 years, I guess we do act like an old married couple at times! :rotfl2:

My husband and I were together for 9 years before we got married (we just got married at WDW on Nov 1 of this year), so we had dozens of WDW trips in our pre-marriage days and were often asked if we were on our honeymoon. We just replied "not yet" and smiled :) The CMs are just trying to be friendly, so don't take offense :)

To each his own, but I'm all for being together for a while before getting married and having kids!! Everyone should do what THEY want to do, not what society wants them to do. Since my husband and I did date for 9 years before getting married, we got sooooooooo many comments like "why aren't you married yet?" or "he better get his act together and put a ring on your finger!" or "why are you still with him if you haven't gotten married yet after all these years?"...gee, maybe because we are doing what WE want to do?? I found comments like those to be totally offensive. These comments weren't coming from Disney people, but from people we know!! eek is right. I found stuff like that to be INFINITELY more annoying and rude than the occasional "are you on your honeymoon?" comment from CMs with good intentions.

Jennifer

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter