No more smoking or vaping in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine all the people trying to catch up with their group in line because they went out for a smoke.

Holy crap! That might be how we convince them to come back. Hey, us non smokers will wait in the long lines while you smoke and catch up?

ETA: but they still won't be able to enjoy a glass of wine while doing so...hhmmmm.

It seems to me the best option would be to follow the model of the Tokyo parks — fully enclosed, ventilated smoking rooms. Smokers have enough designated areas throughout the parks that they don’t resort to breaking the rules to get their fix, and the smoke stays contained so as to not bother other guests in the vicinity.

(Pics taken from Google)
View attachment 391265 View attachment 391266
that would seem to be a reasonable accommodation. However, the bottom line would dictate whether the daily number of smokers would justify the expense of the rooms. Europe and Asia are a bit different in that smoking is still more popular than here.

I know everyone likes to think Disney's goal is to create magic but their first priority is, as a business, to maximize profits.

Holy crap! That might be how we convince them to come back. Hey, us non smokers will wait in the long lines while you smoke and catch up?
Based on the "bathroom break catch up" threads I've seen here in the past, I doubt very highly it will be quite that easy. :)

Yep. They'll have 100 people who tried to pass by them too and it might actually be an issue. Maybe WDW will start giving out smoking passes. All of a sudden everyone would be a smoker needing a DAS:)
I'll be hiring the offensive line of a nearby football team to run blocks for me just in case anyone tries to get ahead of me. I take my place in line very, very seriously.

Are there tobacco smelling beagles, or tobacco smelling dogs of any breed for that matter? Of all the K-9 training I've heard and all the K-9's I've seen, I don't know of any trained in tobacco.
Yes, dogs can detect the smell of nicotine. However, since it is not a banned substance there are very few dogs trained to do so.

That said, the Canadian border tried it to prevent contraband tobacco coming into the country and the dogs failed miserably.

Outside our stadiums for games and concerts there are always dogs patrolling. However, they are looking more for wacky tobacky since it is legal here. Based on the air quality at the last Jimmy Buffet concert I attended over the summer, the black labs patrolling every few feet also failed miserably at their job :)

Disney doesn't have room for some of the trees and benches they did in the past because of the increase in crowds and the explosion in the use of strollers and the required space to park them. Finding space for smokers to light up in the parks doesn't add to the bottom line, why should they bother?

Yes, dogs can detect the smell of nicotine. However, since it is not a banned substance there are very few dogs trained to do so.

That said, the Canadian border tried it to prevent contraband tobacco coming into the country and the dogs failed miserably.

Outside our stadiums for games and concerts there are always dogs patrolling. However, they are looking more for wacky tobacky since it is legal here. Based on the air quality at the last Jimmy Buffet concert I attended over the summer, the black labs patrolling every few feet also failed miserably at their job :)

Yes, that was actually why I asked. Dogs are trained for specific tasks -- explosives, drugs, tracking humans. I've yet to encounter a handler whose dog was trained in more than one specialty.

Nah, I think it was always going this way. They started getting rid of DSAs, knowing that it would make more people light up in places they weren't supposed to (basically the same philosophy Walt articulated about trash cans, but in reverse), and that made a total ban inevitable. Like benches, smoking areas are places where people linger without spending...

I'm curious about this. @Anchored , can you tell us if this is something you or your boyfriend personally experienced and, if so, in what context/during what kind of event? Nothing on the WWoS page mentions this rule and cigarettes/tobacco products aren't on the list of prohibited items. I don't doubt you - with Disney's stance on non-enforcement of rules, it does seem like a "passive" way to ensure compliance. But I would think if this was official policy, it would be publicized somewhere, which has me wondering if it was an event-specific policy (similar to how, in my area, pro and college stadiums are sometimes used for youth sporting events and follow youth league rules on alcohol during those events)

Yes, we went to the Pro Bowl practice and they searched us. We had to take my boyfriend's cigarettes and lighter back to our car

I'll be hiring the offensive line of a nearby football team to run blocks for me just in case anyone tries to get ahead of me. I take my place in line very, very seriously.

And just when I was excited about buying my way to the front of the line without having to hang with some random stranger VIP guide?

And just when I was excited about buying my way to the front of the line without having to hang with some random stranger VIP guide?
You better bring a good offensive line with you. My defensive line will be the best of the best. Sounds like you better just stick with your VIP guide instead. Money well spent. :)

You better bring a good offensive line with you. My defensive line will be the best of the best. Sounds like you better just stick with your VIP guide instead. Money well spent. :)

If it meant dad and DH could smoke back stage or somewhere else, they'd be fighting over the bill...lol. I haven't done it before because I don't want to spend the day with a stranger, but I could be flexible. Wonder how that conversation would go with a rep...Yes, I'd like to book a smoking guide please?

Yes, we went to the Pro Bowl practice and they searched us. We had to take my boyfriend's cigarettes and lighter back to our car

They seriously searched you? Really? Was it just for cigarettes? Did they search every person coming in?

I'm a smoker, but depending on if I can have them with me I won't mind too much. I don't smoke much as it is, but do like a few a day. I think that the DSA's they have that are out of the way should just stay. The one in AK by Dinosaur, HS behind TOT, MK back in the corner of SM aren't places where anyone would be walking through, so I just don't know why they can't keep them. We usually park hop, so I'll just have one before I go in, and one before going in the other park, that's not really a big deal, but it will kind of suck if I'm in a park for hours (or after a meal to be honest).

However, if I can't bring them in the park with me, I'll probably stop going to Disney. We usually fly and take buses, so having to go back to the resort for one would just be too much of a pain. I can go the day without one (I do at work), but not 12 or so hours that I'm out and about at the parks without going back to the resort.

They do this, but when we were at CBR a couple months ago we were told by 2 different employees we could just smoke anywhere there was a bench and garbage can (there were no DSA on the maps). I felt uncomfortable doing that since those are all right on walkways. I did smoke at those a couple times, but I usually just walked to the parking lot as I felt it wouldn't bother people as much.

If memory serves, I believe the base ingredient of most liquids is glycerol - either vegetable or propylene glycol (which is the base for a lot of medical inhalers). Added to that is a precise mixture of whatever mg of nicotine you want - or none if you don't want nicotine - and flavorings. I know of many smokers (typically older people) who transitioned to vaping and stepped down their nicotine. IE: They may have started at 30, then down to 20, 15, 10, etc. Today they still vape with NO nicotine but retain the "security blanket" of the calming action of smoking without the thousands of chemicals that are in traditional cigarettes.

I may be wrong. Hopefully someone who vapes now can confirm or correct my assessment.

This is my understanding as well. No-nic vape is big with my son's crowd, and it isn't nearly as annoying as actual smoking. But my understanding is that a lot of the reason for banning vaping right alongside smoking is that, while there's no documented second-hand risk with vapes, the prevalence of THC-containing vape "juice" makes them all suspect.

Obviously smoking is prohibited on airplanes and you cannot bring a lighter or matches onboard, but could you actually have a pack of cigarettes in your carryon or purse when boarding?

Yes. Even in your pocket. No refillable lighters or matches, but you can have your cigarettes and a Bic without any problems.

It seems to me the best option would be to follow the model of the Tokyo parks — fully enclosed, ventilated smoking rooms. Smokers have enough designated areas throughout the parks that they don’t resort to breaking the rules to get their fix, and the smoke stays contained so as to not bother other guests in the vicinity.

That probably wouldn't pass legal muster here in the US, where most state-level smoking bans don't allow businesses to designate indoor smoking areas at all.

Of the 32 NFL stadiums, the majority (last count was 29) do not allow smoking anywhere inside the stadium. The DSAs are located outside the portals. The problem with that is most of them also don't allow re-entry. So, if you do go out to smoke, you cannot return to the game.

In my home town, going out to eat or to the movies is not just a 5 minute walk because not only are the restaurants/theaters/any public place smoke free, but so is the city business center including sidewalks and alleys, so no just stepping outside to have a smoke. You have to go find your car and sit in it to smoke. And even there, some companies have prohibited smoking on any part of their property, mostly tech companies and labs that do not want you to bring in residual smoke. So, if your car is in their private parking lot, no smoking. You can go home and smoke. Smoking is purposely made to be very, very, very difficult.

Man, it is nothing like that here! Stadiums don't allow smoking inside, but they do have smoking areas. Our NFL, NHL and MLB stadiums all have fenced-in sidewalk space for smokers to get around the "no reentry" policies without stopping smokers from going out for a cigarette, and the only places I'm aware of with property-wide smoking bans are public schools (not very well enforced except when pertaining to students) and hospitals/medical centers. There's one college stadium that is an exception, but since a game is only a few hours, I don't think it has much impact on any but the heaviest smokers. Just about everywhere we go, all you have to do is step outside and walk a few feet away from the door.

Even so, to me Disney is in a category more or less of its own. Dealing with not smoking for the 3-4 hours of a sporting event or 2 hours for a movie is doable for most smokers, I think. Rope drop-to-close in the Disney parks, often 12+ hours, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter