No More Galveston

We are from Ohio and sailing out of Galveston next month. I have to say the lack of easy transportation between Houston and Galveston is somewhat daunting. Yes, DCL offers transfers---but we are used the MCO/Port Canaveral approach where one can easily do a one-way car rental. The transfer for an outsider seems so much more expensive and that much more of a hassle!

Completely agree! I tried to research the transfers months ago and it was very intimidating. Enough that I gave up on researching DCL out of Texas. Also, the airfare from LA to Orlando is the same price (or even cheaper sometimes) than LA to Houston. That's crazy.

If I was someone who had a Galveston cruise booked for the end of 2013 I'd be very, very worried right now. Just ask the people with plans to cruise out of LA in late 2012. If DCL decides they can make a few extra $$ sailing somewhere else, they'll pull the rug out from under you without a second thought.

If I was someone who had a Galveston cruise booked for the end of 2013 I'd be very, very worried right now. Just ask the people with plans to cruise out of LA in late 2012. If DCL decides they can make a few extra $$ sailing somewhere else, they'll pull the rug out from under you without a second thought.

Yup. Was on the December 2012 Christmas cruise on the Wonder to cruise the Mexican Rivera. Was so darn excited about that trip and still bummed that I won't be taking it in a few days. :(

Agree with what's been said above. We live in KC, and thought that Galveston seemed like it should be cheaper/easier for us to do. But it's more expensive to fly to Houston than to Orlando. Galveston is 13+ hours to drive, which is too much with a toddler - shorter day for us to fly, and there's nonstop flights to Orlando (2 1/2 hour flight, even adding on "airport time" and it's a fraction of the drive time). Flying to Houston and getting to Galveston is a pain, not specific to Disney but still pricey and challenging (much more so than getting to PC).

Even though it's geographically closer, Galveston doesn't really have any advantages for us, and it's easier to see how to combine a few beach days or some time at WDW with a cruise out of PC. Agree that Western Carib is generally boring to us anyway, adding to that older ships and an obnoxious, expensive port to get to . . . Just didn't make sense for us.

Now, by contrast, I'd totally sail out of California. Different itinerary than what I've done, and I could see spending time in Cali bookending a cruise.

Also, the shorter cruises out of Galveston are pretty unappealing being a non local. It's hard to spend all that money to fly there for a 4-5-6 day cruise and not have WDW or DL there to complete the vacation. I know people vacation in Galveston. I wasn't interested in that though. I was thinking of booking a Christmas cruise out of there but the cruises are too short.

This whole thread is so silly, "everyone is an expert". Do you all REALLY think as a MULTI-BILLION dollar business Disney companies had no idea about Texas Schools or other odd things that people have been blaming this on? I have to disagree with everyone on here who thinks that this has anything to do with filling the ship etc or even with Children being able to attend. We sailed, our ship was filled and the next ship was also full in October, DURING the week.

Disney knew exactly what they were doing and still does, is it disappointing yes, but please don't be under the "fantasy" that Disney didn't do extensive research before doing what they did in Texas, this was all part of the plan.

zstyles said:
This whole thread is so silly, "everyone is an expert". Do you all REALLY think as a MULTI-BILLION dollar business Disney companies had no idea about Texas Schools or other odd things that people have been blaming this on? I have to disagree with everyone on here who thinks that this has anything to do with filling the ship etc or even with Children being able to attend. We sailed, our ship was filled and the next ship was also full in October, DURING the week.

Disney knew exactly what they were doing and still does, is it disappointing yes, but please don't be under the "fantasy" that Disney didn't do extensive research before doing what they did in Texas, this was all part of the plan.

I agree with you. I'm not sure how so many can speak with such an authority on Disney business deals. It is all based on speculation and possibly personal feelings.

We didn't book Galveston because it's the school year. We don't book any vacation because it's the school year. That's us. I speak for me. No idea on why Disney chose Galveston, but I can guess, but that's all it would be.

It was just announced yesterday that starting in 2014 all the ships will be back in Florida...Dream, Fantasy and Magic will be at Port Canaveral and the Wonder will be in Miami

So what is up with Disney no longer sailing out of Galveston in 2014, just saw the announcement?

Anyone have some insight?

Your OP above.

Only on the Dis. :rolleyes: People post their opinions and you think it's "silly" You are the ONE who started the thread and asked for "insight". No one claimed to be an expert and THIS is a DISCUSSION board. :sad2:

In my "non-expert" opinion. ;) DCL would do better home porting the ship back on the East Coast either NYC again or Baltimore or even Boston

I am booked on an April cruise out of Galveston and used Dreams Unlimited to book. This is my first Disney cruise. The week unfortunately was an 8 day that was not on the KSF dates. If the prices drop or KSF is added for this date, can I get the cheaper price as long as I am not PIF. Is that how that works? Will my agent let me know if prices drop or any specials will apply?

I am booked on an April cruise out of Galveston and used Dreams Unlimited to book. This is my first Disney cruise. The week unfortunately was an 8 day that was not on the KSF dates. If the prices drop or KSF is added for this date, can I get the cheaper price as long as I am not PIF. Is that how that works? Will my agent let me know if prices drop or any specials will apply?

We are booked on one of the 4-nighters in February. The KSF was added after our PIF date. Our TA was able to get the KSF applied to our reservation just today and we are getting a refund! So I think if they add KSF to your cruise, you are in luck. If they do the *GT rates, I don't think you can get those after your PIF date.

We are booked on one of the 4-nighters in February. The KSF was added after our PIF date. Our TA was able to get the KSF applied to our reservation just today and we are getting a refund! So I think if they add KSF to your cruise, you are in luck. If they do the *GT rates, I don't think you can get those after your PIF date.

Just a little heads up here, while it is possible to get the KSF offering applied to your cruise, if it comes available, sometimes they won't do it.

You are correct about the last minute restricted fares (*GT). They only apply to new bookings, so you would have to cancel your current reservation (with whatever penalties that would apply) and rebook. Downsides to this - the *GT rates generally aren't available until after your Paid In Full dates, and you would lose whatever room you have on your current reservation, as well as any excursion/adult dining reservations you may have made.

:cutie:

That's exactly what I was going through when I booked my March 15 cruise out of Galveston. I started a meet thread and only one person responded; that person wasn't even sure that they would be on the cruise. That cruise today still has tons of cabins left.....I bet my last dollar that Disney will be discounting these March sailings soon.

We were supposed to be on that cruise, but then they changed it from 8 days to 4 days. We switched to a February cruise instead.

airheademmy said:
At least the Magic is in Galveston for a little while. I'm thrilled that we get the chance to go on a Disney Cruise without flying to Florida.

Whoop!

dgmommie said:
We were supposed to be on that cruise, but then they changed it from 8 days to 4 days. We switched to a February cruise instead.

I don't know. Our April 26 board is pretty slow over here and mostly serves as a springboard to the Facebook group which is quite active.

You're likely correct in that DCL did their research, but as others have said they really dropped the ball when it came to advertising. I bounce around the radio dial during the day and never heard a single commercial. I've seen a total of two billboards here and one is as you are approaching Galveston. Many people I know who are veteran cruisers and would have loved to sail DCL had no clue they were coming here. You might be surprised how many people don't frequent any kind of cruise related message board.

It's kind of a shame that DCL did this as hastily as they did. Because of the number of ships sailing from Galveston this fall (two CCL, one RCCL, one Princess, and DCL Magic), Princess decided to start sailing from the new Bayport (Houston) terminal next fall. DCL should have tried this as an option as well. Hobby Airport is only about twenty minutes from the new terminal and would make a world of difference for people flying in. Much easier than getting to Galveston.

With Cataway Cay being so popular, I'm surprised DCL didn't try and do this from the start, but as part of a seven day cruise. Carnival does a seven day Key West/Bahamas cruise out of Galveston once a month. Just substitute one of the Bahamian ports for CC. DCL could have rotated an Eastern and Western Itinerary like CCL does, IMO.

We took our first Disney Cruise this past spring to MR and loved it so much we booked another to Alaska this next fall (2013). We have had some issues so I don't believe we will make that cruise so I was waiting for the 2014 dates to come out so I could push the cruise off. I was even thinking of going out of Galveston since our son is stationed in Texas but now they have pulled out. Being we live on the West Coast flying to the East Coast is expensive so I am afraid unless they come back to the Los Angeles Terminal we will have to cancel all together. Disney is really dropping the ball because if they would lower their prices just a bit and advertise more they would be full. :confused3

I don't get the no advertising perception... I spin across the radio dial myself, and hear that annoying DCL commercial with Donald allll the time. I'm aware, because it irritates me so much, lol. But it's definitely there, and frequent! And I see the commercial on TV all the time as well. So I'm not sure what else they could have done on that front.

I do think they were priced too high for the market, especially for newcomers to DCL who might not understand the value they're getting. If someone unfamiliar to DCL were to just compare itineraries and prices between DCL and Carnival or RCI out of Galveston, and only look at those factors, heck yeah they're going to choose the other guys over DCL.

Gina said:
I do think they were priced too high for the market, especially for newcomers to DCL who might not understand the value they're getting. If someone unfamiliar to DCL were to just compare itineraries and prices between DCL and Carnival or RCI out of Galveston, and only look at those factors, heck yeah they're going to choose the other guys over DCL.

I agree. When I was still living in the Houston area last year, I mentioned to a coworker that I had booked a DCL cruise from Galveston. His response was "I looked into that, but it is way too expensive!"

I also think DCL should have offered the shorter 4 night cruises from the beginning during the school year.

Chee Chick said:
I agree. When I was still living in the Houston area last year, I mentioned to a coworker that I had booked a DCL cruise from Galveston. His response was "I looked into that, but it is way too expensive!"

I also think DCL should have offered the shorter 4 night cruises from the beginning during the school year.

Heck yeah it was expensive when the cruises first started selling. We priced one hoping to transfer our Fantasy reservation over to the Magic and our home port. No such luck. It was cheaper to go to PC ;) by a lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter