No More Galveston

In theory, Galveston seemed like a good market for DCL. In reality, all those people who were so excited about having a ship closer to their home didn't book a trip! DCL has had to discount the Galveston cruises and they still aren't sailing full.

It's all about the finances. WHY they aren't filling is speculation. Castaway Cay is one possibility and probably shows up on guest surveys as something more want.

From the DCL website...
Get ready to explore dazzling destinations in 2014! Disney Cruise Line is offering cruises departing from such popular home ports as Miami, Florida, Port Canaveral, Florida and Galveston, Texasand sailing to spectacular ports of call in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

Galveston will be back in the second half of 2014. I bet, that Disney will want to use Port Canaveral to show off the new and improved Disney Magic when she's back from refurbishment.

kcashner said:
In theory, Galveston seemed like a good market for DCL. In reality, all those people who were so excited about having a ship closer to their home didn't book a trip! DCL has had to discount the Galveston cruises and they still aren't sailing full.

It's all about the finances. WHY they aren't filling is speculation. Castaway Cay is one possibility and probably shows up on guest surveys as something more want.

But I did! Three!
And now they're leaving right before my 10th anniversary. We'd wanted to do a VR out of Galveston so family might be able to come.

jfs9900 said:
From the DCL website...

Galveston will be back in the second half of 2014. I bet, that Disney will want to use Port Canaveral to show off the new and improved Disney Magic when she's back from refurbishment.

I hope so.

From the DCL website...

Possibly. I was hoping to see Disney here during the summer months, but so far it's not been the case. :( My husband wants to sail the Fantasy, but my youngest wants to sail the Magic again. I wouldn't mind sailing it refurbished, but was hoping we could do so out of Galveston.

cypressmom said:
Possibly. I was hoping to see Disney here during the summer months, but so far it's not been the case. :( My husband wants to sail the Fantasy, but my youngest wants to sail the Magic again. I wouldn't mind sailing it refurbished, but was hoping we could do so out of Galveston.

I would have liked summer too. ;)

The Galveston cruises were priced ok, and KSF was definetly a great option. But there were 2 reasons keeping us from booking:

1) we couldn't find the right week with the right itinerary; we wanted CC.

2) airfare into Houston was way more than into MCO, and a longer flight for my little one.

Maybe the fact that they aren't going to be back in the spring of 2014 will get people to book the spring of 2013 from Galveston. I am a little concerned that our March 19 4 day is going to be almost empty. (I am contemplating whether to move my sail date to a later date before the PIF date & hope for further discounts on March 19).

Everyone keeps saying during the school year is not a good time. How did DCL fill ships out of other ports during the school year? The causes for the low sales out of Galveston are not rooted in the school calender.

Florida has a much higher percentage of people without kids, so the potential market is bigger in the off-season. Plus, airfare from the megolopolis is still pretty reasonable to florida (miami or orlando) so that helps attract people from my area.

And they have the potential tie-in with WDW visitors. I've always been surprised they haven't pushed that more by including fastpasses or discounted park tickets if you booked a cruise/wdw combo.

As I posted way back. I knew this was not going to last. There isnt anything attractive or advantageous about cruising out of Galveston. Except for residents local to the gulf states who can drive to Galveston, people flying to a cruise port are going to choose to fly to one of the ports in Florida over Texas any day.

Everyone keeps saying during the school year is not a good time. How did DCL fill ships out of other ports during the school year? The causes for the low sales out of Galveston are not rooted in the school calender.

I think you are very wrong on that. Texas has extremely strict attendance requirements. Each school district sets its own way of applying the attendance requirements but most of the major districts do not consider a family vacation an excused abscense. When a student receives an unexcused abscense they may not make up any work. They get zeros for each and every assignment and test during the time they missed. I am taking my daughter, who is a junior out for a 4 night crusie in april. She will miss two days of school, unexcused. There is no way I would have taken her out for a 7 or 8 night cruise even though I would have loved to go.

And the four night cruises were done at the last minute. very poor execution on Disney's part. They should have offered the shorter cruises from the beginning.

When people sail from Florida ports, they are traveling from outside of the state as well. People don't want to travel to Texas to sail! It's really not surprising the Galveston sailings did not sell well.

I am one of the people who has been very glad to see DCL sailing out of Texas, and very disappointed that they won't be here in the spring. I'll keep hoping they'll be back for at least part of the fall. We just came off one of the Galveston sailings recently, and we have another booked for next fall. If they sail out of Galveston in 2014, we'll book one for 2014.

That said, DCL did make some mistakes with Galveston, and I'm not surprised they haven't initially been as successful as they hoped.

People around here do take cruises and do fill ships, and many of us are used to cruising out of Galveston... at substantially cheaper rates than DCL originally offered. I have several friends who were really excited about the prospect of DCL out of Galveston, but then saw the rates and basically decided to sail with another line even though DCL would have been their first choice. Once DCL lowered their rates a bit, offering price cuts and KSF, these families had made other plans.

When I say more DCL cost money, let me make it clear that we took two cruises this year, both out of Galveston, both concierge level in a cabin that could hold our party of 5 (both could hold more, but we happened to be a party of 5.) Our cruise on DCL was, quite honestly, more than twice the cost of our cruise on RCCL. Same duration, both concierge level, same party of guests traveling, and RCCL had a better and more interesting route. Admittedly, I happened to book the RCCL cruise on a day they were running a sale, but the price difference between the two cruises was huge. If you were a veteran cruiser who was considering trying DCL for the first time, as we were, you had to really want to try them to justify that price difference. As it happens, we did, and we loved it so much that we turned around and booked another one.

Their originally offered routes were not well thought out at all. They offered routes that cruisers around here have been doing for years, at substantially more money than we were used to paying. You had to really want DISNEY to book with them. You had to be willing to overlook that the ports were ones you would almost certainly have been to before, possibly many times before, if you were someone who often cruised out of Galveston. Their newer routes are better, particularly the ones that include CC. I think they were really smart to start alternating routes in fall 2013, so that people who wanted a traditional western Caribbean experience could have it, and people who wanted to try the Bahamas - and perhaps most importantly CC - would have a choice.

The school issue in Texas really is a factor. It is for any ship that does longer cruises out of Texas that target families during the school year, because the truancy laws here are so strict. Many cruisers around here, particularly ones who don't travel with kids, think of DCL as a line for families. Many of the frequent cruisers we know without young children assumed DCL wouldn't be for them, since DCL didn't do much advertising in the region and so didn't emphasize that there are many adults only areas and people who cruise without kids.

I hope they find a way to make DCL profitable in Galveston, and I really hope they continue to come for part of the year.

I think you are very wrong on that. Texas has extremely strict attendance requirements. Each school district sets its own way of applying the attendance requirements but most of the major districts do not consider a family vacation an excused abscense. When a student receives an unexcused abscense they may not make up any work. They get zeros for each and every assignment and test during the time they missed. I am taking my daughter, who is a junior out for a 4 night crusie in april. She will miss two days of school, unexcused. There is no way I would have taken her out for a 7 or 8 night cruise even though I would have loved to go.

And the four night cruises were done at the last minute. very poor execution on Disney's part. They should have offered the shorter cruises from the beginning.

True, but Texans are not the only ones on these cruses any more than Floridians are the only ones on cruses out of Florida. I think, in part it is like others have said, Galveston/Houston is not a great vacation destination. Why would someone from Washington or Virginia fly to Texas when they could fly to Orlando go to WDW and a cruise on the brand new ships for a similar price? The week we sailed we could have been on the Fantasy for the same price. But we live in San Antonio so we chose to drive to Galveston. If we still lived in Nebraska we probably would have chosen the Fantasy. And I absolutely agree they should have had more varied itineraries from the start. 6,7, and 8 nights cruises that go to more or less the exact same ports for 8 months in a row is just stupid. I think it has more to do with price and itinerary than the school policies. For locals who have been cruising on RC and CCL out of Galveston, why would they pay more to do DCL when they go to the same ports for a lot more? JMHO.

Also they should have advertised much more. I know this was talked about a while ago. Half a dozen billboards in the greater Houston area doesn't cut it. I heard one radio add months ago. If people don't know you're here how can they buy your product?

sissy_ib said:
Also they should have advertised much more. I know this was talked about a while ago. Half a dozen billboards in the greater Houston area doesn't cut it. I heard one radio add months ago. If people don't know you're here how can they buy your product?

You should see the advertisements in the Frisco//Plano area. Wow. It's all over. Not so much where I live.

My family is cruising out of Galveston in March and we're very excited about the cruise but our airfare to get to Houston was insane. We ended up paying nearly $600 per person. For use to fly to Orlando a that exact same time would have cost $300-$350. Since we live in Minnesota we obviously have to fly to cruise so it would be nice to have had to purchase the most expensive tickets around. (Although we had a credit to use and only had to pay about $1000 total but that still stings.)

I've only cruised out of Galveston once on a different line. I would only consider doing it again on a DCL, but not school year. I wish they would have sailed during the summer. I'm still in love with DCL :)

I am one of the people who has been very glad to see DCL sailing out of Texas, and very disappointed that they won't be here in the spring. I'll keep hoping they'll be back for at least part of the fall. We just came off one of the Galveston sailings recently, and we have another booked for next fall. If they sail out of Galveston in 2014, we'll book one for 2014.

That said, DCL did make some mistakes with Galveston, and I'm not surprised they haven't initially been as successful as they hoped.

People around here do take cruises and do fill ships, and many of us are used to cruising out of Galveston... at substantially cheaper rates than DCL originally offered. I have several friends who were really excited about the prospect of DCL out of Galveston, but then saw the rates and basically decided to sail with another line even though DCL would have been their first choice. Once DCL lowered their rates a bit, offering price cuts and KSF, these families had made other plans.

When I say more DCL cost money, let me make it clear that we took two cruises this year, both out of Galveston, both concierge level in a cabin that could hold our party of 5 (both could hold more, but we happened to be a party of 5.) Our cruise on DCL was, quite honestly, more than twice the cost of our cruise on RCCL. Same duration, both concierge level, same party of guests traveling, and RCCL had a better and more interesting route. Admittedly, I happened to book the RCCL cruise on a day they were running a sale, but the price difference between the two cruises was huge. If you were a veteran cruiser who was considering trying DCL for the first time, as we were, you had to really want to try them to justify that price difference. As it happens, we did, and we loved it so much that we turned around and booked another one.

Their originally offered routes were not well thought out at all. They offered routes that cruisers around here have been doing for years, at substantially more money than we were used to paying. You had to really want DISNEY to book with them. You had to be willing to overlook that the ports were ones you would almost certainly have been to before, possibly many times before, if you were someone who often cruised out of Galveston. Their newer routes are better, particularly the ones that include CC. I think they were really smart to start alternating routes in fall 2013, so that people who wanted a traditional western Caribbean experience could have it, and people who wanted to try the Bahamas - and perhaps most importantly CC - would have a choice.

The school issue in Texas really is a factor. It is for any ship that does longer cruises out of Texas that target families during the school year, because the truancy laws here are so strict. Many cruisers around here, particularly ones who don't travel with kids, think of DCL as a line for families. Many of the frequent cruisers we know without young children assumed DCL wouldn't be for them, since DCL didn't do much advertising in the region and so didn't emphasize that there are many adults only areas and people who cruise without kids.

I hope they find a way to make DCL profitable in Galveston, and I really hope they continue to come for part of the year.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. We will sail DCL out of Galveston this next school year (it looks like that's going to be in the fall now). I would really like to take advantage of the KSF offers, but we just pulled the kids out of school for three and a half days for WDW. There's no way the school district would just look the other way if we pulled them again this school year :sad2:.

True, but Texans are not the only ones on these cruses any more than Floridians are the only ones on cruses out of Florida. I think, in part it is like others have said, Galveston/Houston is not a great vacation destination. Why would someone from Washington or Virginia fly to Texas when they could fly to Orlando go to WDW and a cruise on the brand new ships for a similar price? The week we sailed we could have been on the Fantasy for the same price. But we live in San Antonio so we chose to drive to Galveston. If we still lived in Nebraska we probably would have chosen the Fantasy. And I absolutely agree they should have had more varied itineraries from the start. 6,7, and 8 nights cruises that go to more or less the exact same ports for 8 months in a row is just stupid. I think it has more to do with price and itinerary than the school policies. For locals who have been cruising on RC and CCL out of Galveston, why would they pay more to do DCL when they go to the same ports for a lot more? JMHO.

We've cruised out of Galveston many times, and the ships are almost always filled with at least 80% Texans. Ships out of Galveston ARE ships full of Texans, partially for the reasons you list in your post (Who would choose Texas over Florida for a port?? Texans, that's who!!). --Katie

Maybe the fact that they aren't going to be back in the spring of 2014 will get people to book the spring of 2013 from Galveston. I am a little concerned that our March 19 4 day is going to be almost empty. (I am contemplating whether to move my sail date to a later date before the PIF date & hope for further discounts on March 19).

How do you find out how full the ship is for your dates? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter