No More ADR's at conflicting times

Thanks for sampling that data for us, it's very interesting to read. Looks like the (arguably) hottest ticket in town, LeCellier, has decent availability at 30+ days out, despite the current 180 booking window.

Looking at Lecellier...usually (when it was >60) it was FAR outside 60. You're eating at 4 - 4:30 PM or (less frequently) 7:30 - 8 PM.

So available...but not great times. And it's variable, because there are still some weeks where, further out, there are no ADR's to be had (late August).

The "trick" in all this is to use 6 PM as your search time. It will search from 4 PM to 8 PM in the online system, which is almost the ENTIRE dinner seating time frame.

I'm glad to say after upgrading our package from POP QSDp to CBR RDP. I had no troubles getting ADR's. The only one that I couldn't get at my desired times was CRT. I wanted a early lunch and ended up with a 1:25.

Again, I'm not so sure that assumption is true. It might be, but there's clearly no way to get any real data to support it.

And...why address the window when you can simply address the problem itself (as they have, it seems)? If this change prevents double bookings...haven't they pretty much solved that problem?

I think it helps, but it doesn't completely solve it. The best remedy would be to charge reservation fees - which could be used as a deposit if you attend the meal, but you lose if you cancel or no-show. But that's never going to happen.

Thanks for sampling that data for us, it's very interesting to read. Looks like the (arguably) hottest ticket in town, LeCellier, has decent availability at 30+ days out, despite the current 180 booking window.

While LeCellier is still extremely popular, I think 'Ohana has clearly surpassed it in terms of being the toughest-to-get dinner ADR. Certainly, the change to signature staus played a big role in that.

I am pleased by the change. I just did a (short) last minute trip in May (about 45 days notice) which was prior to the 'no double booking' change, and I was not able to get reservations at many popular restaurants.

Now, our summer plans have changed and I am making reservations for a trip in about 65 days. I can get everything but Ohana's (which I do not want to do anyway). This will make the trip more enjoyable, since I was not expecting to get into several popular places since my plans are so 'last minute' (at least in WDW time).

I expect WDW simply got sick of the empty seats in restaurants. I know when we went last August to Le Cellier, about 1/4 of the tables were empty when we ate at about 6:00pm. And, they were turning people away because it was booked. This was repeated at other popular destinations.

The only issue that I see is that the waits, even with an ADR, will be longer since more tables will be occupied as there should be fewer no-shows.

I think it helps, but it doesn't completely solve it. The best remedy would be to charge reservation fees - which could be used as a deposit if you attend the meal, but you lose if you cancel or no-show. But that's never going to happen.

It really isn't a good remedy as long as Disney is selling dining plans. People who have already pre-paid their dining as part of their package will not want to also pay reservation fees and then wait for them to be refunded. In a cash-only system the idea might have merit but not with the DDP and especially the DxDDP, premium, and platinum packages.

It really isn't a good remedy as long as Disney is selling dining plans. People who have already pre-paid their dining as part of their package will not want to also pay reservation fees and then wait for them to be refunded. In a cash-only system the idea might have merit but not with the DDP and especially the DxDDP, premium, and platinum packages.

:thumbsup2

I'm not sure why you bother posting on these boards, if you think we are all crazy people.:confused: Some of us just happen to be well organized, and don't like to have to scramble at the last minute looking for someplace to eat, or having to settle for a less desired restaurant. Neither making ADRS or not making ADRs for WDW is the wrong way of doing things. Only you think your point of view is the "right" way of doing things.

Not to mention you seem to be unaware that WDW a few months ago shortened the booking window down to 3 months. It didn't last long. So they obviously know that many of their guest are fine with booking 6 months out, and it actually works.

Btw, sending an e-mail is a great way to get in contact with someone from WDW. It doesn't mean they are going to change how they do things, but it is nice to know they are at least listening to our concerns.

I dont really post too much but...

I have agree with the other poster to some extent - I too am a Disney fan and I have no problem planning and booking all my ADR's 6 months in advance to me it wouldnt matter if I had to book a year out (or 2 weeks). That is b/c I am familiar w/the restuarants and know what my family likes. However we all have to admit we are the minority...and at one point we were all on the other side of the fence. I remember the first year the Free Dining Plan was offered - this was my 1st time staying at a WDW resort. I had no idea that you had to book so far in advance - out of 10 days our party of 4 were able to get into 2 table service restaurants at the parks together. We were able to get a couple more but had to split up our group to 2 & 2. We went home w/several unused dining credits. We did book the bounce back that year and learned from our mistake - but this could definately deter other guests from returning.

Being the "Disney Dork" as so many call me I feel awful when I see or hear of others not knowing about the ADR system and not getting into any good places. To me if they are going to have the system set up as it is then they also need to have park hours and schedules up that far in advance as well. Disney also needs to do a better job of telling customers about the ADR system. Never when I have called to sched my vacation did they ever tell me about the 180 rule.

I too have double booked some ressies for my upcoming trip - this is b/c part of my trip is for a work related conference. I know the conference is the 1st week of Nov. but I do not know the exact dates. I am going w/my husband, son, and in-laws. I had to book my trip not knowing when I could be at the parks - and if I wasnt then the group may do another park then I have planned. Once I have my exact dates I can cancel my un-needed ressies - I for one certainly hope Disney did not get rid of any of my reservations

Also that 90 day window Disney did in 2009 was only temporary b/c they were creating the new on-line ADR system - and it went away once the system was up and working.

Actually, the above makes my point rather than refutes it. The availability of the system shouldn't take any small customer segment into account.

I would guess (though I don't have data to support it....I know Disney does) that they choose the 180 day window for a variety of reasons. At least some of them probably have to do with useage and resort booking volume. Also, their internal planning seems to jive with that time frame (park hours are right around 6 months out, party dates are usually announced right AROUND that point...certainly we can quibble about the specific availability in specific cases). In other words, they think that the LARGEST segment of their customers benefit from the window they've set AND it fits their business goals. For further evidence in that direction...they tried the 90 day window and (relatively) quickly changed back to 180 days.

See, the issue is that many people are looking at this personally. I get why that is, but It's NOT personal. What "I" want and what "you" want is irrelevant, really. I can (and have) exist within whatever system they provide for me and I'm perfectly fine doing it. Not so very long ago, when the window was 90 days, we STILL planned 6 months+ out. And we still called at 7 AM on the first day we were able (the 90 day mark).

It's (like almost anything at WDW, actually) a system. The system is designed to weight business goals and overall customer goals and work accordingly. It's not designed to ensure that EVERY customers "real life" factors can't prevent them from maximizing the systems useage. No system can do that. DISNEY isn't providing the 180 dayers with an advantage. The LIVES of the 90 dayers is providing them with a disadvantage. I don't see any reason why Disney should have an onus to balance that out. I don't see any system that could do that, and still work for the business, either.

To be honest...I would have no issue with Disney instituting a 360 day window, so long as it allowed equal access. I suspect, given what we know about their system, they wouldn't implement one because their OTHER systems don't, usually, provide that kind of leeway. Even the DVC system only allows bookings 11 months out. But just by way of "for instance"....I'd either plan further in advance or live with the risks of planning closer to my departure date. I wouldn't ask (or expect) the system to change FOR ME. Now, I would expect that if Disney found that a large segment of their customers weren't using that window...they'd change it.

And, again, the 180 day window is an inclusive window. It tells customers they CAN do something (all of them). The 90 day window is much more EXCLUSIVE, telling a good sized customer segment they CAN'T do something. That's the difference. If there was little booking volume between the 180 and 90 day mark....Disney would probably change the window (and rightfully so). But we KNOW that's not the case. There is obviously ample demand (as evidenced by ADRsgetting filled up)...and since Disney's ultimate goal is to fill tables....I'm not sure what any change would accomplish. Given the evidence we DO have....it's tough to argue that the "90 dayers" are a sizeable enough market segment for Disney to make changes for.

Just for way of full disclosure, I've always said that, for my money, the "perfect storm" would be 120 day window for most customers. Park hours are definitely out. Party dates are definitely out. I suspect MOST people have planned their trip at 4 months-ish. It caters to the planners AND the non-planners, to a large extent. Obviously that idea doesn't rely on any real DATA, but just from a logic standpoint, it seems to fit. However I have more than a sneaking suspicion that THAT window, for whatever reason, doesn't meet Disney's business goals. Maybe it requires too much resource utilization from the IT and call center areas, maybe it doesn't allow them enough time for strategic planning...I don't know.

We can agree to disagree about which is more inclusive. The way I look at it you are at no more disadvantage with the 90 day window. As you said you still make your reservations at the 90 day window at 7:00am. Therefore you are still among the first people to make reservations as they become available. The 90 day window includes people like you that are able to plan ahead, but also includes those of us who do not have that flexibility. As I said in my previous post, I'm going in July, I looked at the online today, I could still get a lot of great ADR's. I don't do signature, because my kids wouldn't be in to it, but the ones I care about I can get...that's all that really matters. I'm at the park for the parks, if I wanted a good steak I can get that at Smith and Wollensky back home. So either way 180, 120, or 90..I'll always have a fantastic time at Disney.

:thumbsup2
We can agree to disagree about which is more inclusive. The way I look at it you are at no more disadvantage with the 90 day window. As you said you still make your reservations at the 90 day window at 7:00am. Therefore you are still among the first people to make reservations as they become available. The 90 day window includes people like you that are able to plan ahead, but also includes those of us who do not have that flexibility. As I said in my previous post, I'm going in July, I looked at the online today, I could still get a lot of great ADR's. I don't do signature, because my kids wouldn't be in to it, but the ones I care about I can get...that's all that really matters. I'm at the park for the parks, if I wanted a good steak I can get that at Smith and Wollensky back home. So either way 180, 120, or 90..I'll always have a fantastic time at Disney.

Disney shouldn't be able to do away with multiple ressies at the same time. Case in point: I just recently had to book my dining ressies for our Grand Gathering coming up in September. There is a total of 29 people going. The only way to get us ressies together was to book 2 ressies at exactly the same time, splitting the party in half. I went through Grand Gatherings themselves to help me book my dining. I made the mistake of thinking they would be helpful. Boy was I wrong! The guy I spoke with on the phone told me he didn't see any openings at any of my restaurants of choice for a party of my size and basically told me I was on my own. Isn't this the point of booking through Grand Gatherings? Well, I took matters into my own hands by double booking my ressies and got every restaurant I wanted with the exception of 'Ohana! Does anyone on here think I am abusing the system by double booking? I tried to do it the "proper" way and got nowhere. I'm sure I'll get flamed somehow but it was the only solution I could see for my dilemma.:confused3

Disney shouldn't be able to do away with multiple ressies at the same time. Case in point: I just recently had to book my dining ressies for our Grand Gathering coming up in September. There is a total of 29 people going. The only way to get us ressies together was to book 2 ressies at exactly the same time, splitting the party in half. I went through Grand Gatherings themselves to help me book my dining. I made the mistake of thinking they would be helpful. Boy was I wrong! The guy I spoke with on the phone told me he didn't see any openings at any of my restaurants of choice for a party of my size and basically told me I was on my own. Isn't this the point of booking through Grand Gatherings? Well, I took matters into my own hands by double booking my ressies and got every restaurant I wanted with the exception of 'Ohana! Does anyone on here think I am abusing the system by double booking? I tried to do it the "proper" way and got nowhere. I'm sure I'll get flamed somehow but it was the only solution I could see for my dilemma.:confused3

Call Disney dining and tell them why you have double reservations or you may show up at a restaurant only to hear that there are no reservations for you.
(407) 939-3463

That is still fine to do, but you can no longer do it online. Only over the phone with a CM that can approve it for your valid reason for needing it.

I can't speak for everyone....but I would be surprised if anyone reading your post believes you are actively trying to abuse the system. Personally I feel your pain, I'm the one who booked ADRs for our Grand Gathering and I only have 12 folks. If I had to make ADRs for 29 folks I would have probably lost my mind! :thumbsup2

What bothers me is folks who knowingly and selfishly book two ADRs at the same time thereby preventing or making it difficult for other guests to make reservations.

You made two ADR's for the same time, but you are splitting your party up, not really double booking. When people talk about double booking, they mean making 2 ADR's when you know you can only use one of them. Like making ADR's at 2 different restaurants in 2 different parks for the same day and time because you haven't decided which park you will do that day. Or making ADR's for 11:30 and 12:30 because you aren't sure what time you want to eat.

I would like to second a shorter booking window. It is frustrating to have to make dinner package reservations for CP without having any idea who the narator will be. Then, when you find out your favorite person ever is going to be there you have to change what day is what park and try for the dinner package.

I would like to second a shorter booking window. It is frustrating to have to make dinner package reservations for CP without having any idea who the narator will be. Then, when you find out your favorite person ever is going to be there you have to change what day is what park and try for the dinner package.

While I can understand your frustration about the CP dinner packages and the narators, Special Events are a whole other problem in themselves.

While for regular Restaurant ADR, Disney opens up the booking at 180 days but some it seems have no set time set for opening booking.
Wishes Dessert Party is one, you still can not book for August and it is way past the 180 day mark.

F&W events open up usually sometime in June?

Disney makes planning ahead difficult that is for sure and it all makes for a lot of ADR changes eventually when they do announce various special event open for booking

Agreed. Disney Dining agent was less than helpful this morning.
We check into POR on 11/26 and move to WL on 11/27 for 7 days.

I need CRT for 8 people for 11/30. I found a table for 2 and a table for 6.
Because of the no double booking, I can't get them.

When I called to see if the CM could book both for me, she told me I could only book dining for the first day of my trip - the other days would have to be booked tomorrow when my WL ressie kicks in.

I explained that I was able to book other ressies for dates past the 30th online this morning and she sighed and said "the 180+10 would not apply for you and there must be a glitch in your system that is not in mine. You'll have to try again in tomorrow."

I'm not trying to manipulate the system, just trying to book a ressie for the number of people and exact date that we want. I don't care if we end up sitting at two different tables, makes no difference to me.

Grrrr!

Again for the ones having to split your party, why not use two different emails ? They don't have to be two separate people's emails....make two up using AIM and Yahoo..or Gmail (all free email systems). Or has this failed as well?

I had to split my family of 7 up under 2 ressies for a couple of our meals, I just used my email and my husbands and my cell number and his cell number, both of which will be on vacation with us in case we get a call to confirm.

I called few weeks ago to confirm my reservations for 15 at some places that I had to do a double booking of 8 & 7 and the CM said she needed to make notes on my ADRs so they didn't look like a mistake. Now after reading this thread I realize the note was so the reservations don't get cancelled. I made them back in December for June and the CMs weren't all that helpful so I took matters into my own hands online.

Does anyone know if they send you an email or anything show up online to show if the system cancelled your reservations that were already booked?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter