No matter what your budget is...what is the one thing you WON'T cut corners on

Health and safety things I won't cut corners on.
We only stay on property also at Disney, so we don't skimp there, where we skimp is we go half as often now because of the price.
Pretty much everything else is fair game for skimping. But I just retired, so for the first time in 40+ years I'm not limited to 4 weeks vacation, I have basically 52 weeks I can go places. If I skimp, I can go more places.
Congrats. Enjoy. I’m almost there but not quite

I didn’t realize DL‘s hours were that long. That’s great for those that can go that long. 3 -4 hours in a park is all we can tolerate anymore. :laughing:
My wife's first trip to DL was an eye opener for her. Her dad always left for the day at 5 pm. She wondered why whenever there was video of DL it showed fireworks. She had been there late enough to see them.
Last trip we managed to get Fast Passes for Splash Mountain in DL and Grizzly Falls in CA back to back. Got soaked on Splash Mountain, walked 5 minutes over to CA, got on Grizzly Flats got even more soaked. We stayed at the Grand Californian which is literally a 1 minute walk away from Grizzly Flats. Got into dry clothing. Other than about 15 minutes to change clothing, we were in one of the parks from open to close, all three meals too

My standards perhaps are a bit lower than many of yours, but when in Orlando, I will do at least two theme parks. That's the one thing I won't cut corners on -- going to at least two and paying those theme park admissions. Why go to Orlando the theme park capital of the world and not do any? If I didn't have the budget to do any, I would definitely pick a different destination to go to all together.

Other extended family members think the theme parks are too expensive and crowded and stick entirely to nature and resort activities on most trips. Please note, though, that my nephew lives in Orlando, so my brother and his kids have been down a zillion times and my nephew having previously worked at Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld is not as inclined to go (especially when parks are crowded). So I have to say that I do understand that. Visiting your kid, your brother, etc. who lives in Orlando is different than going down for a vacation for sure.

Last edited:
Staying on property and park hopper tickets. For us, we normally do 3-4 day trips every couple years and park hopping gives us the option to do more things in a short time period.

At Disney, we always stay on property and usually at a Deluxe.

In life, I don't skimp on heat or AC - I want to be comfortable in my house.

Honestly staying on property. We like being in the bubble and Universal is a mears or Uber away.

While there aren’t as many perks as there once was, when we factor in rental cars and timing everything it’s not worth the aggravation and extra costs (which btw rental car prices even with discounts are YIKES)
So agree. I like being in the bubble as well.

We won't skimp on accommodations. We stay deluxe/rent dvc points for Disney. If we can't afford to do that, then we wait.
I rented DVC points for years until we bought. Sadly I had to give them up in a divorce. But I agree; deluxe accommodations make the entire trip SO much more magical.

Typically speaking time depending on the vacation. There are places that are good quick weekend trips (Vegas, the Lake) and other places not.

A quick 3 day 2 night or 4 day 3 night trip to Vegas is great but most other vacation need at least a week usually longer. Usually we try to use the weekends on either side of a work week to get that extra time.

A beach vacation should be at least 7-9 days if not more. Most times a beach vacation we do relax time and excursion time. We don't just sit on the beach.

A history vacation (like going to DC/Gettysburg/Baltimore/Boston, etc) usually need at least a week if you don't want to feel too rushed.

Contradictory to the question sorta but the amount of days we go usually means we offset the budget elsewhere sometimes it's the accommodations or the food. At home we're not huge spenders on food so on vacation we mimic this and usually do a nice meal or two while on vacation. For accommodations we're not talking the bottom of the barrel stuff but we don't mind adjusting things to make a longer trip work.

To me my enjoyment of my vacation means I don't have to feel like it's rushed because we're not there for long, it means I can relax and feel like I've got time to enjoy where I'm at. I'd say an average trip is anywhere between 7-12 days. This trip for a Disney wedding with Universal and Disney theme park stuff beforehand and after the wedding that we start next week we'll be gone 12 days.

Typically speaking time depending on the vacation. There are places that are good quick weekend trips (Vegas, the Lake) and other places not.

A history vacation (like going to DC/Gettysburg/Baltimore/Boston, etc) usually need at least a week if you don't want to feel too rushed.

Contradictory to the question sorta but the amount of days we go usually means we offset the budget elsewhere sometimes it's the accommodations or the food. At home we're not huge spenders on food so on vacation we mimic this and usually do a nice meal or two while on vacation. For accommodations we're not talking the bottom of the barrel stuff but we don't mind adjusting things to make a longer trip work.

To me my enjoyment of my vacation means I don't have to feel like it's rushed because we're not there for long, it means I can relax and feel like I've got time to enjoy where I'm at. I'd say an average trip is anywhere between 7-12 days. This trip for a Disney wedding with Universal and Disney theme park stuff beforehand and after the wedding that we start next week we'll be gone 12 days.
Totally on board with this! We typically go for the activities/scenery/location and we make whatever budget choices allow us to accomplish such a trip. So...no fancy hotels but 8 days enjoying the scenery in Az and Utah. Or cooking in the condo so we can be close to RMNP. Since WDW is so expensive, we'd definately stay at one of the All Stars or Pop to be onsite and close to the action and be able to lengthen our visit.

To each his/her own...that's what makes these forums so interesting :)

At WDW, I agree with the multitudes: we stay on-site. For us, it's worth it. Also the bubble is still magical for us!

In 'real life' I always buy nice toilet paper; quilted, many ply, etc. It's worth it. And shoes. I am a complete wimp when it comes to foot pain, so I spend a little more on quality brands (Birkenstock, Clarks, Adidas).

At WDW, I agree with the multitudes: we stay on-site. For us, it's worth it. Also the bubble is still magical for us!

In 'real life' I always buy nice toilet paper; quilted, many ply, etc. It's worth it. And shoes. I am a complete wimp when it comes to foot pain, so I spend a little more on quality brands (Birkenstock, Clarks, Adidas).
I stayed offsite once and never again. Totally different vibe and zero "Magic." :rolleyes:

Staying at a deluxe resort. If we can't afford to, we just won't go. I'm too old and my sleep is too valuable to stay at the Values and I can't stand the sprawl and motel feel of the moderates. I hate doors that open to the outside.

In day to day life: High quality food. I don't eat junk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter