• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NJ/NY folks, have you ever heard of COLD Taylor ham?

luvwinnie

<font color=green>And how are YOU feeling?<br><fon
I have never seen it this way and since it looks quite gross cold I can't imagine anyone LIKING it this way...but when I ordered a TH sandwich at a deli in NYC today the guy handed it to me COLD. I said, "This isn't cooked" and he said, "You didn't ask for it cooked." I said, " I didn't know you COULD eat it cold." :rotfl:

luvwinnie said:
I have never seen it this way and since it looks quite gross cold I can't imagine anyone LIKING it this way...but when I ordered a TH sandwich at a deli in NYC today the guy handed it to me COLD. I said, "This isn't cooked" and he said, "You didn't ask for it cooked." I said, " I didn't know you COULD eat it cold." :rotfl:
That would have been my response :confused3 Didn't know that! Either way, its a little too gross for me. The only way Taylor Ham should be cold is in the refrigerator right before you cook it.

Agreed - Taylor Ham is always cooked (usually with egg and cheese on a roll!)

that's funny, I've never heard of cooking it. As a kid I always at Taylor ham sandwiches cold, just like other cold cuts.

I have NEVER seen anybody serve it cold!

I haven't heard of this kind of ham...are you saying it was RAW pork, or that it was cooked pork that just happened to be cold?

Maleficent13 said:
I haven't heard of this kind of ham...are you saying it was RAW pork, or that it was cooked pork that just happened to be cold?
Its a NY/NJ Thing..

Do other parts of the US even sell it?

I used to laugh when my parents went to visit a friend in WV and would bring a big old roll of it.

I have never seen it served cold..

Great.. Now I want a Taylor ham and Egg on an everything bagel with salt, pepper & ketchup.

Maleficent13 said:
It's not raw, but I've lived in NJ my whole life, and have never seen it served cold.

I've lived in NY my whole life, and I have never heard of this! But then I don't like ham much.

Good old taylor ham! That is one of my favorite foods, in fact, I made some for breakfast yesterday.

I have never, ever seen it raw - only cooked.

I think the wraper says to cook it, I didn't realize it was already cooked or ready to eat like hot dogs.

Oh gosh I miss Taylor Ham! I loved it when we lived back in NY. I grew up on it.

Here in TX, they have it sometimes at the deli, but very rarly & generally people look at you like you have 3 heads when you ask for it.

I have never heard of people eating it cold. It needs to be cooked & hot!

phillybeth said:
Do you mean pork roll?

http://farkleberries.blogspot.com/2005_02_01_farkleberries_archive.html

Chopped-up ham and spices in a roll shape, sometimes wrapped in burlap, and sliced? I've never known anyone to eat that without cooking it.

Similar to hotdogs, even though it's not really raw, it's not something I would eat without cooking it myself.

I always eat it cooked, but yes Taylor Ham and Pork Roll are the same thing. Taylor Ham is normally what it is called north (NY area) while in Central / S. Jersey call it pork roll. Yummy, no idea what it really is and don't want to know, but it is good.

When we were in college we would go down to LBI for the week and live off of pork roll fried in butter and beer. I would gain at least 10# per trip, but it was well worth it. Oh the memories....

As some one who grew up in the deli business on Long Island. I never hear of it being put on a sandwich hot. The only time we would heat it, if someone want on a breakfast egg sandwich.
It's cooked, you eat it like any other meat you get from a deli.

I've been eating Taylor Pork Roll my entire life, even eaten it at Taylor Pork Roll stands and have never ever seen it served cold.

I've also never heard of it being served cold... but I LOVE it hot!

Someone else asked about it being served in differend areas. I believe that other places have pork roll, but I don't think that it's the same exact thing. My aunt who lives in Arizona brings home tons of it when she comes out to visit. I just don't know what I'm gonna do when I move and can't order a taylor ham, egg and cheese for breakfast anymore!

carl59 said:
As some one who grew up in the deli business on Long Island. I never hear of it being put on a sandwich hot. The only time we would heat it, if someone want on a breakfast egg sandwich.
It's cooked, you eat it like any other meat you get from a deli.

It's like any other cold cut, I thought. :confused3 The deli always had it in the case next to the bologna etc. I never heard of it being served hot!

Is it possible that the cold pork roll thing is a regional thing, like on Long Island? :confused3 I have always eaten pork roll cooked with cheese (hate eggs) on a hard roll. So how many of you are from LI that eat it cold.
BTW, I also never thought of it as a Deli meat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter