Nick Hotel

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
We stayed Sunday - Tuesday Memorial Day Weekend.

Arrived Sunday around 11:45: pre-check in took 45 minutes. Priority Club Check in and the special Children's Check in Desk were closed. Lobby: NOISY and full of kids who were basically unsupervised while thier parents stood in 1 of 2 lines---check in or check out. If that kid cut in front of me one more time on his sneakers/roller skate combos thing I WAS going to trip him!!!!!!!

DS and DGS stayed after pre-heck in to use the pool while girls went shopping.

Came back and had to go officially check in. Unlike Disney where you just call and get your room number---Nick gives you a key and then you have to go back to the lobby to get a room assignment and have the keys "coded". This took only 15 minutes.

Unit: SpongeBob bunk bed room. DGS (5) loved it. I think billing these as suites is a stretch------not spacious like a condo but bigger than a hotel room. The sofa was actually a love seat (by my own standard a sofa should have 3 cushions and seat 3 adults comfortably--this has 2 cushions and would seat 2 adults). If the sofa is open you COULD not move in the living room area. So if you were the person on the far side of the bed then you had to crawl over the other person to get to the bathroom and kitchenette area. We did not need it so it wasn't an issue for us just a note for those who may need it. Master bedroom: King bed, vanity area and closet. Nice in here. The curtains did not close all the way but DS and his DGF were sleeping there so I figured the morning sun would just help wake them up :teeth: Bunk Bed room: no closet--only drawers to put stuff in. Bottom bunk had what I hope was ketchup over it (actually on the bottom the top bunk). DGS LOVED it. Had a pull out type bed under the tv---only a small child could sleep there. No air flow/ac the first night (even though there isn't a door to this room just a curtain and we had it open.) DS discovered next day that the vent was closed.

Loved having 3 tv's--went to Walmart and bought Kingdom Hearts for the kids room.

Toilet ran all night the first night but maintenance came when called the next day to fix it.

POOL: DGS and DS loved it. They are blessed with not being bothered by crowds I guess. DGF of DS did not--got slapped in the face by feet in the pool a few times. Also said that when they went to use the hot tub in the evening it was filled with kids.

Arcade/food court/party thing: Arcade: noisy, crowded and not worth it. Food court: noisy, crowded and hard to find seats---a lot of seats were taken by parents whose kids were in the arcade and they were just hanging out waiting for them. Due to rain the party was moved from the pool to inside--crowded, if you weren't among the first ones there to snag a table all of the arts projects and stuff were gone.

MAGIC MOMENT: When we first arrived in the mall area we happened on Blue coming out!! DGS ran over and hugged him!! The memories of that heck-in torture were starting to fade!!

Character meal: We went on Tuesday. WELL WORTH THE EXPERIENCE and worth every discomfort up to this point. I had read reviews that the interaction was not good and the characters took too long to come around. I almost cancelled!!! We had 7:00 am reservations. SpongeBob held court in the lobby area and we visited him 3 times with no wait. However --the girl taking pictures was awful. I am so glad I went to the gift shop and bought another disposable camera!!! In her pictures head or arms were always cutoff!!! Dora, Fairly Oddparents and Patrick came by several times--stopping to actually play and interact each time! We had fun celebrating birthdays and when they put the microphone in front of DGS it WAS NOT his birthday so we thought quick and said it was his Pre-K graduation trip (which it was but they were looking for birthdays). A Management type came around to ask if the characters had been by and if we needed them to come by again--are you sure you got your pictures? autographs?--etc. The only thing I found odd was that you had order waffles and pancakes through your waitress--you couldn't just go up and get them. Food was good--DS declared the sausage the best of the trip.

Our room was a corner room right next to the basketball court and pool!!! Expected it to be noisy--was very surprised that we were not kept awake by any outside noise (the toilet running and flushing itself all night the first night is a different story).

Staff (except at the breakfast) were not friendly or very helpful. Their attitude seemed to be "we don't care if you come back or not--people are clamoring to stay here so we don't have to provide exceptional service to you". I was also on a special rate ($179 per night) and was unable to use the express checkout because of it. (?????) I just drove away from the hotel the morning of checkout--I wasn't going by the lobby to see what the line was like!!

Overall: left swearing I would never be back!!! I've stayed at the Nick Heltel and don't need to ever go back!!

DGS is begging to go back and stay longer than 2 nights!! He said it wasn't enough for him.

I am hoarding my Priority Club points for a future visit.

thanks the the review. I have called a few times and it does seem the attitude of the staff is the same, which worries me.. Im sure our kids will have fun but the whole check in and come back thing- seems to be a huge hassle. Im worried about ds losing his armband. He is so tiny and lost it a few times on the disney cruise. If I put it too tight it bothers him.. :confused3

$25 fee to replace the band if you lose it--however if you just take it off and go to the desk to get a new one they will give you a new one for free if you give them the old one. Apparently people don't like walking around orlando "branded" :teeth

I didn't use any of the facilities so we just kept my band as a spare.

We stayed here before Nick took over and loved it. Staff was wonderful then. It sounds like it hasn't changed for the better...how sad! :confused3

We stayed here during Hurricane Jeanne, hunkered down in our suite while the winds howled. The staff at that time was great--they couldn't do enough to keep us informed and help get us thru it. Hate to hear that the aren't that nice now. The pics look good, but thank goodness DD is too old for Nick, so she isn't begging us to stay there again.

I guess I have been pretty lucky then. I have been trying to get my son booked for the nick at night and I call all the time to see if they have started taking reservations yet. Everyone I have talked to could not have been nicer. I even booked a character breakfast and they were nice then too. I hope it was just a flook when you were there. It has happened to me many times with unfriendly hotel staff. I used to work at the front desk of many hotels when I was in college and I have very high expectations because I know what I used to do. I'll let everyone know our experience when I go in August. Teresa

I also keep telling myself that I was there over a holiday weekend (checked in Sunday) and the staff may have been worn out/over busy with the holiday. Just stayed at the worst hotel in recent memory for my nephews wedding this past weekend (in MD not FL) but earned priority club points--DGS trip is getting closer :)

Belle1962 said:
I also keep telling myself that I was there over a holiday weekend (checked in Sunday) and the staff may have been worn out/over busy with the holiday. Just stayed at the worst hotel in recent memory for my nephews wedding this past weekend (in MD not FL) but earned priority club points--DGS trip is getting closer :)
What happened to you at your last hotel? We went to a hotel in Feb. in Holland MI. This was a HI and it was horrible. I went with a hockey team! We were up graded to a pool side room. The room was so small we couldn't even put a pack in play in there. We opened our doorwall and it fell out into my DH's hands. They never did fix it. Toilet ran non stop never did get fixed. The carpet was so dirty I couldn't let my kids go barefoot in the room. It was extremely outdated. That didn't bother me but at least keep your rooms in working condition. Hotel staff was hard to track down even at the front desk. Way too many kids working there. Wow we can swap Hotel Horror stories!!!!!!!!!!! Teresa

yep--HI. Dirty rooms, run down hotel, etc etc etc. Emptied an entire can of Lysol spraying stuff down in the room. I really have not had any good experiences with HI but have had much better luck with the HI Express brand. I am trying Crown Plaza next week.

Belle1962 said:
yep--HI. Dirty rooms, run down hotel, etc etc etc. Emptied an entire can of Lysol spraying stuff down in the room. I really have not had any good experiences with HI but have had much better luck with the HI Express brand. I am trying Crown Plaza next week.
Well good luck with that.. Last CP we stayed at was great!!!! Absolutely gorgious. Teresa

as soon as i saw the advertisments for that new nick hotel i knew it would be like the all-star resorts but worse w/ kids running around and hoards of crowds....sorry you had a lousy time..

We went to this hotel when it was the HI Family Suites - about 4 times in 3 years. It was so awesome then! The whole Nick thing ruined it for some reason. :confused3

I really miss the way it used to be in the good old days...

My kids have been BEGGING me to stay there next time round, it so dosen't sound worth it at all. I doubt I will even consider it now. THANKS!

trixxie said:
My kids have been BEGGING me to stay there next time round, it so dosen't sound worth it at all. I doubt I will even consider it now. THANKS!

Don't stear away from it. Just know going that it is VERY "kid-friendly"/ "kid-run". I couldn't wait to get out of there but DGS keeps begging to go back! For him, I'll go. I'll also be better prepared knowing what to expect and will NOT go over a holiday!

wasnt worth the $220 a night plus tax for us but the kids loved it go figure

Just spent Sat. night here for $149 a night. I was impressed with how clean everything was suite was amply big, 2 bedroom. Very, clean, fresh looking. They were painting and cleaning the whole time we were there.

That being said.... it is a kid FRIENDLY hotel. Tons of kids...everywhere... running up and down the halls at 12:30 in the morning. Hello, where are your parents.
We had a room facing the pool/slide area and it was noisy until 11:00pm...I mean really noisy!!!

The kids had a blast! Went to the show at night and the character breakfast, both of which are ok. Had lunch and the kids ate free... yuck!

Would I do it again? Only if the kids beggggggggggggggged and earned it and I got a great rate. You just can't compare to an all stars or WDW property.

After reading this thread, I am a little concerned about staying here. I went ahead and reserved for Oct 4-Oct 7, a two bedroom kidsuite for a total cost of $570. My kids are as follows, DS (10), two DD both 11, and DS (13). For those of you with children in this age range, what were your experiences at the hotel, did your kiddos enjoy the mayham and theming? Any suggestions about room location? All information and comments are greatly appreciated. I am a Disney planning nut and I have never stayed here before! Thanks in advance. :)
Kim

The $149 a night was a special thru travelzoo.com buy 2 night get 3rd free. Sign up for their newsletter. AWESOME deals every wednesday!

As far as room location: I would face away from the pools at all costs! IE: request parking lot view or backside view.
I know your kids will have fun, they all were. The question is will you?? :rotfl2:

I am at the Nick hotel right now and we absolutely love it. We are on the oasis pooside (the smaller pool) Our room is on the top floor. We have a king size with a full kitchen which is great because we went grocery shopping and are saving lots of money on food. We have done everything. I checked in on Monday (8/21) and we are checking out tomorrow (8/24) I got a 150 priority club rate over the internet. It is not too crowded. I was told to never come on Weekends or during peak season. Guess we got lucky and picked the right time. I am currently working on my TR for the Nick hotel so here is the link for it. I have lots of pics. We love it here and will definately come back. We only had 2 complaints. The internet didn't work the first 2 days and it takes 2 tokens per video game. Oh well.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1191333

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter