Un Délicieux Dîner
(Pardon my french. ;) )

We hopped on the monorail from the GF and transferred to the Epcot side when we arrived at the TTC. All in all, getting to Epcot was painfully uneventful. The sky did look pretty gray for a while, but thankfully the storm was passing in the other direction, so we missed any rain!

We arrived at Epcot, got through security, and headed into the park. We noticed that Spaceship Earth was a walk on, so... we walked on! It was crazy how empty the park felt, even in the late afternoon!

Here are Grace and I's stupid Spaceship Earth photo faces:

48805110896_2c134c7d03_b.jpg

My face reminds me of Debbie Downer.

When we got off of Spaceship Earth, we did stop to take advantage of the headline attraction at Epcot right now, the Bubblegum Wall. I got to take advantage of my new phone's portrait mode!

48805252977_22b746f640_b.jpg

Then we had to go our Soarin' FP+, so we headed over. This was everyone's first time riding Soarin' since at least 2016, so I was really excited to get on it! I don't know about you guys, but i can't help but smile on Soarin'! I love everything about it-- the soundtrack, the scents, the stunning views! I understand why Epcot has the tier system in place for FP+, but the tiers make it seriously difficult for me to choose between this, FEA, and TT for my family, so we haven't been able to experience it for a hot minute.

Grace was really hungry when we got off of the ride, so we stopped at Sunshine Season so she could grab a quick snack before we headed over to our dinner ADR. At one point I was worried we weren't going to make it to France in time, so I was hustling us over there. Look what I spotted on our way over!

48805110771_41d96a1e99_b.jpg

They weren't moving, but it was still so cool to see! I am 100% HYPE to take a spin on the Skyliner this spring!

We ended up with ~40 minutes until our ADR time, so dad, mom, and I indulged in a pre-dinner cocktail. They both got the Orange Marnier slush, but I decided to try the lemon Grey Goose one.

48804760738_938934fcaf_b.jpg

Okay... I think I like the lemon one more than I like the orange one! It was so smooth and had the perfect amount of "tart" to it, the perfect lemonade slush for a hot day in the parks! Dad agreed, but mom declined a taste.

Soon enough, it was time for us to check into our ADR.

48765808798_d885d24c02_b.jpg

48765808668_23c52980f2_b.jpg

48766341587_0997b9183c_b.jpg

We checked in about 15 minutes before our ADR time and we were seated about 10 minutes after our ADR time, as it normally goes with the Chefs de France dinner service. We were warned they were about 10 minutes behind at the podium, so it was no big deal. Soon enough the Maître d' was bringing us to our table!

We were placed at a tiny four-top tucked in the corner by the kitchen. There were a lot of desserts flying off the counter next to me all night long, so it was one of the more busy locations in the restaurant.

Our waitress this evening was Camile and she was such a darling! She was so friendly and routinely checked up on us to make sure everything was okay.

We all decided we were going to get the Prix Fixe 3-course menu this evening, as it was the best use of our DDP credit. Yes, the Prix Fixe is eligible for one (1) table-service credit, and yes, I recommend it!

I started the evening with a glass of brut.

48765808123_c578231981_b.jpg

This was a nice glass. It was light, sweet, and as close to champagne as I was going to get the entire trip.

As usual, the service started with a nice, warm, crusty loaf of bread for the table! This is the type of bread you have to try a little bit of, even if you promise yourself you wouldn't fill up on the stuff before your meal came. Which is a very smart idea if you order the Prix Fixe menu, since you get so much food!

48765808273_0c430f1175_b.jpg

For my appetizer, I chose the Bisque de Homard, Lobster Bisque.

48766138856_e80a8a4bec_b.jpg

To answer any immediate questions: yes, this bowl of soup was just as big, if not bigger, than it looks in the picture! Holy cow, I was surprised at how big this was!

There was plenty of fresh chunks of lobster in here-- all delicious, especially having spent some time soaked in that butter and cream! This was so rich and delicious. Not a cup of soup I could have finished, but a wonderful start to the meal.

For my entree, I chose a rather famous Chefs de France specialty, the Gratin de macaroni. Macaroni and cheese.

48805252842_5a06e09a22_b.jpg

This is another Disney dish that has stood the test of time. I would argue that it is one of those meals cemented in the Disney dining scene, among the ranks of the Kona Cafe Tonga Toast, the 50's Prime Time fried chicken, and so many others. While it may not be as appreciated as some other meals in Disney, I believe it is the best macaroni and cheese, if not the best pasta dish, at Walt Disney World. When I was on my 2016 Disney College Program, I had my first and only experience eating alone at a sit-down restaurant here. My roommate cancelled our plans, but I wanted to eat this macaroni so bad that I went alone.

I'm fairly certain that the pasta is housemade, even if it isn't advertised as such. Cannelloni noodles can be pretty sad when they come in a box, but these were thick and held "pockets" of gruyere well. The mix of cream, butter, and gruyere cheese was so perfect. I hate soupy mac and cheese, so this semi-dry mac with a thick, gooey cheese mixture is comfort food to me. The best part of this dish is all that toasted cheese sitting on top, which you can cut up with your fork and eat on its own. The golden brown "layer" on top is chewy and delicious!

For dessert, Camille recommended the Tarte aux pommes. The apple tart.

48804760663_3e1008f0bd_b.jpg

I liked this dessert well enough. The apples were cooked nicely and were complimented by the vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, but the pastry "shell" was kind of tough, like it was stale. I don't think I would have ordered anything else. Mom got the cream puff swan, which was extremely dry. Grace had the creme brulee, which was also good, though!

All in all, this was a terrific dinner and our new favorite in the World Showcase, trumping La Hacienda de San Angel and Via Napoli. Everything here is rich and delicious, truly one of the best meals I've ever had on Disney property. If you're on the DDP, I think that the Prix Fixe menu is one of the best uses of a TS Credit on property, period. If not-- I recommend sharing an appetizer, ordering your entrees, and then grabbing dessert to-go from Les Halles Patisserie.

Dinner ended in the middle of Illuminations, which means we did find ourselves at very back of the max exodus leaving the park at the end of the night. I won't lie, it was an extremely rough walk with the crowds back to the monorail. We made our way back to the TTC, switched monorails, then made the hike back to our our room at the Villas where we turned in for the night.

(Click here to continue!)

Last edited:
:laughing:

Okay... I think I like the lemon one more than I like the orange one! It was so smooth and had the perfect amount of "tart" to it, the perfect lemonade slush for a hot day in the parks!
::yes:: This is my favorite drink in Epcot although if we're there during a festival I usually am trying all the festival drinks and don't get this. Steve tried the Grand Marnier once instead and we both agreed the Grey Goose is much better! I like to refer to it as "sunshine in a glass" :sunny:
For my entree, I chose a rather famous Chefs de France specialty, the Gratin de macaroni. Macaroni and cheese.
OMG I SO wish I got this last week!!!! We ate there for the first time since 2012 and I got the steak which I didn't end up being a fan of. I debated getting the mac and cheese but it lost out.................we weren't thrilled with our meal but seeing this I may give it another shot!
I liked this dessert well enough. The apples were cooked nicely and were complimented by the vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, but the pastry "shell" was kind of tough, like it was stale
This is what I got; I too really liked the apples/caramel/ice cream. The shell was nice but hard also so I'm guessing it's just the way it is unless they're always stale lol.

::yes:: This is my favorite drink in Epcot although if we're there during a festival I usually am trying all the festival drinks and don't get this. Steve tried the Grand Marnier once instead and we both agreed the Grey Goose is much better! I like to refer to it as "sunshine in a glass" :sunny:

It could seriously very well be my favorite drink as well!! Granted, I still have so many left to try, but this has DEFINITELY been my favorite so far! Sunshine in a glass = the perfect name for it!

OMG I SO wish I got this last week!!!! We ate there for the first time since 2012 and I got the steak which I didn't end up being a fan of. I debated getting the mac and cheese but it lost out.................we weren't thrilled with our meal but seeing this I may give it another shot!

I can't recommend the macaroni gratin enough!

This is what I got; I too really liked the apples/caramel/ice cream. The shell was nice but hard also so I'm guessing it's just the way it is unless they're always stale lol.

That's probably the way it is, then! If we go back to Chefs, it probably won't be on the dining plan-- we'll just get our entrees (maybe a shared app for the table) and get dessert elsewhere.

Feat. the mysterious disembodied donuts

I got to take advantage of my new phone's portrait mode!
1- FIERCE
2- Great photo, which phone??

I don't know about you guys, but i can't help but smile on Soarin'!
SAME! No matter how many times I ride it and how wonky the Eiffel Tower is it still just gives me the happies. And if I could live in a cloud of the Fiji scent then I would be the happiest person on earth.

This was a nice glass. It was light, sweet, and as close to champagne as I was going to get the entire trip.
Looks like a nice big glass, too! #bringonthebrut

I'm fairly certain that the pasta is housemade, even if it isn't advertised as such. Cannelloni noodles can be pretty sad when they come in a box, but these were thick and held "pockets" of gruyere well. The mix of cream, butter, and gruyere cheese was so perfect. I hate soupy mac and cheese, so this semi-dry mac with a thick, gooey cheese mixture is comfort food to me. The best part of this dish is all that toasted cheese sitting on top, which you can cut up with your fork and eat on its own. The golden brown "layer" on top is chewy and delicious!
My mouth is actually watering. It's currently 10am and all I want is this mac and cheese.

Feat. the mysterious disembodied donuts

Feat. Pitbull

1- FIERCE
2- Great photo, which phone??

1- THANK YOU
2- iPhone XR

SAME! No matter how many times I ride it and how wonky the Eiffel Tower is it still just gives me the happies. And if I could live in a cloud of the Fiji scent then I would be the happiest person on earth.

Yes!!! Even the curvy eiffel tower brings extreme joy to me and I need a Fiji air freshener!!

Looks like a nice big glass, too! #bringonthebrut

Now that you mention it, that was a pretty big glass!

My mouth is actually watering. It's currently 10am and all I want is this mac and cheese.

BRUHHH I WAS SO HUNGRY WHEN I WROTE THIS REVIEW LOOOOOOOL

There had to have been some kind of issue in the kitchen tonight, unless slow service is the norm here, which I don’t think I’ve seen reported on the Dining Boards.

I’m sad you had slow service at Skipper’s Canteen! It’s one of our favorites and has been pretty quick the 3 times we’ve eaten there, so it may have just been a slow night. It’s our favorite at Magic Kingdom!

Ralph tried to take a bite out of my ears while Vanellope explored my backpack.

Awesome picture!

This time around, I will be a Character Attendant-- my top choice role and a dream come true!

Congratulations!! How exciting! That sounds like a fun role!

"We should make you an honorary sister! Or elsa-rary."

I'll give you a moment to figure it out, and once you do, you'll see why I'm laughing here.

Haha! That one did take me a few minutes but that is clever.

Sounds like a great trip so far, can’t wait to read more!

Mr World Showcase-wide

HAAAAAA

Sidenote I asked for a Fiji air freshener for my birthday. Apparently the magic candle company has a Fiji scent and they do air fresheners. Will let you know how accurate it is if I get it.

I LOVE magic candle company!! That's where we got the air fresheners we gifted dad for father's day!!

We loved our meal at Chefs de France back in 2016! Sometimes I still crave the French onion soup. So good!

It was amazing!

I’m sad you had slow service at Skipper’s Canteen! It’s one of our favorites and has been pretty quick the 3 times we’ve eaten there, so it may have just been a slow night. It’s our favorite at Magic Kingdom!

That's what I keep hearing! I'd like to give it another try somewhere along the future.

Awesome picture!

One of my favorites from the whole trip!

Congratulations!! How exciting! That sounds like a fun role!

Thank you so very much-- I am very excited!!

Haha! That one did take me a few minutes but that is clever.

Sounds like a great trip so far, can’t wait to read more!

I couldn't stop laughing!

Thanks so much for reading-- I can't wait to update again!

Portrait mode is so much fun! Love my new iPhone for that. Also that dinner, WOW. Any version of mac and cheese is a good idea. Looks like an awesome dinner experience!

Yessss I love portrait mode! Chefs de France was seriously one of my favorite meals this whole trip!!

We cannot pass the bubblegum wall without pictures, no way!! You compliment the wall with your outfit!
We are going back to France for dinner in January. The “Mac and Cheese” is very good and perfect for Andi! That does sound like a good use of your DDP!

I love creme brule and I had it the first time in May from the QS in France and it was delicious!

Looks like you all had a very nice evening in Epcot! The mad rush out is always a pain but worth it!!

Hi, Kaitlyn! I lurked my way through your Thanksgiving report so I thought I should officially join on this one.

Your room at the VGF looks so nice! I'm considering either booking directly or renting points for a studio villa at the Poly next May, so it's nice to hear your thoughts considering you thought the rooms were similar. Did the closet organizers work well for your family? (I'm a bit sad about the lack of dresser, especially since we don't need the murphy bed!) I think we'll like the split bathroom at the Poly villa, though, so multiple people can get ready at the same time.

You had some excellent character experiences thus far on your trip! I know characters aren't supposed to break character, but I find it quite hilarious that Abby Mallard did for you. I also laughed when your first stop at Epcot was to see Ralph and Vanellope. That's the joy of touring by yourself - you can do anything you want!

I agree that the Grey Goose slush at Epcot is DELICIOUS. I finally tried one in 2015 and kicked myself for not having one on my prior trips where I could order one.

I appreciate your review of Chefs de France. I've yet to visit that restaurants (there are SO MANY CHOICES in Epcot!), but your glowing review makes me think harder about adding it sometime. I'm glad you loved your meal!

Congratulations on your DCP!!! We will be there at the end of May and I always love a DISmeet!

We noticed that Spaceship Earth was a walk on, so... we walked on! It was crazy how empty the park felt, even in the late afternoon!
Pretty good! Spaceship Earth just seems to be hit or miss. No line or crazy line.
My face reminds me of Debbie Downer.
:lmao:
Okay... I think I like the lemon one more than I like the orange one! It was so smooth and had the perfect amount of "tart" to it, the perfect lemonade slush for a hot day in the parks! Dad agreed, but mom declined a taste.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but that's a nice pre-dinner refreshment
This is another Disney dish that has stood the test of time. I would argue that it is one of those meals cemented in the Disney dining scene, among the ranks of the Kona Cafe Tonga Toast, the 50's Prime Time fried chicken, and so many others. While it may not be as appreciated as some other meals in Disney, I believe it is the best macaroni and cheese, if not the best pasta dish, at Walt Disney World. When I was on my 2016 Disney College Program, I had my first and only experience eating alone at a sit-down restaurant here. My roommate cancelled our plans, but I wanted to eat this macaroni so bad that I went alone.
I don't think I've ever seen such highly reviewed macaroni & cheese. Yet I'm oddly intrigued and want to try it!
All in all, this was a terrific dinner and our new favorite in the World Showcase, trumping La Hacienda de San Angel and Via Napoli. Everything here is rich and delicious, truly one of the best meals I've ever had on Disney property. If you're on the DDP, I think that the Prix Fixe menu is one of the best uses of a TS Credit on property, period. If not-- I recommend sharing an appetizer, ordering your entrees, and then grabbing dessert to-go from Les Halles Patisserie.
Wow! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

Well Chefs has been off of my list for some time now after a less than stellar meal we had there but your review makes me want to go back!

Just started following along and I’m laughing so hard. Congrats on the DCP acceptance! Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

What I love is how you are not tied to your family. You are doing your own thing and I admire it!

What a delicious update. Love all the beautiful pictures. I LOVE portrait mode. Someone recently threw shade and said, "you love portrait mode" :rolleyes2 #hater

I just started following along - loving all of the updates and pictures!

Also - totally 1000% agree with you on the hate for soupy mac and cheese - give me baked mac and cheese anyday (adding that dish to my must-do's for our upcoming January Trip).

We cannot pass the bubblegum wall without pictures, no way!! You compliment the wall with your outfit!
We are going back to France for dinner in January. The “Mac and Cheese” is very good and perfect for Andi! That does sound like a good use of your DDP!

DEFINITELY can't walk past the bubblegum wall without getting a pic, I so agree! Thank you very much for the compliment!

It's a great meal and somehow an even better value on the DDP... you are going to have a fabulous meal this January!

I love creme brule and I had it the first time in May from the QS in France and it was delicious!

The creme brulee from Les Halles is SO good! I try to order a new dessert every time I go there since there's so much to eat, but sometimes, I just gotta have a creme brulee!

Looks like you all had a very nice evening in Epcot! The mad rush out is always a pain but worth it!!

Ahh, the mad rush... can't live with it, can't get home without it! Definitely a pain!

Hi, Kaitlyn! I lurked my way through your Thanksgiving report so I thought I should officially join on this one.

Thank you so very much for joining along! I so appreciate the comment!

Your room at the VGF looks so nice! I'm considering either booking directly or renting points for a studio villa at the Poly next May, so it's nice to hear your thoughts considering you thought the rooms were similar. Did the closet organizers work well for your family? (I'm a bit sad about the lack of dresser, especially since we don't need the murphy bed!) I think we'll like the split bathroom at the Poly villa, though, so multiple people can get ready at the same time.

Oh, I can't recommend the Poly studios enough. It felt marginally more spacious than the VGF studio and the bathroom set up was so much better. The lack of dresser is definitely not ideal, but the closet organizers do work pretty well for our family! If you bring two or three, everyone has ample cubby room, especially if you have smart packers. Using gallon-size ziplock bags to pack my clothes definitely helped save space this trip as well. You are going to adore the Poly studios!!!

You had some excellent character experiences thus far on your trip! I know characters aren't supposed to break character, but I find it quite hilarious that Abby Mallard did for you. I also laughed when your first stop at Epcot was to see Ralph and Vanellope. That's the joy of touring by yourself - you can do anything you want!

I definitely agree with all of this! I'm not one to post about breaking character integrity, but the chuckle from Abby's friend seriously made my day. And that's what I love about solo touring! I don't feel pressured

I agree that the Grey Goose slush at Epcot is DELICIOUS. I finally tried one in 2015 and kicked myself for not having one on my prior trips where I could order one.

It's so good! I feel like I've only been hearing about the orange one, the lemonade one is amazing!

I appreciate your review of Chefs de France. I've yet to visit that restaurants (there are SO MANY CHOICES in Epcot!), but your glowing review makes me think harder about adding it sometime. I'm glad you loved your meal!

I highly recommend a trip to Chefs if you're going down the World Showcase list!

Congratulations on your DCP!!! We will be there at the end of May and I always love a DISmeet!

Thank you so much! Woohoo, I'll see you there!!!

Pretty good! Spaceship Earth just seems to be hit or miss. No line or crazy line.

Agreed-- it's either empty or crazy busy when we're around!

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but that's a nice pre-dinner refreshment

Definitely a solid pre-dinner drink!

I don't think I've ever seen such highly reviewed macaroni & cheese. Yet I'm oddly intrigued and want to try it!

It is the BEST! You have to try it at some point!!

Wow! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

One of our best meals so far!!

Well Chefs has been off of my list for some time now after a less than stellar meal we had there but your review makes me want to go back!

I know the reviews are pretty mixed here. We had a really great meal tonight, so I recommend it, but I know this is one of those places where a bad night can be a really bad night.

Just started following along and I’m laughing so hard. Congrats on the DCP acceptance! Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

Thank you so so much!! I appreciate you being here!!

What I love is how you are not tied to your family. You are doing your own thing and I admire it!

I really appreciate this! Family time is important, especially on vacation, but "doing our own things" is something that my family has come to mutually agree is important at Disney. At this stage, we have such varied levels of park stamina and energy that it wouldn't work if we all tried to do the parks together all the time. Everyone seems to be happier if we separate a little at some point throughout the day and then come back together later!

What a delicious update. Love all the beautiful pictures. I LOVE portrait mode. Someone recently threw shade and said, "you love portrait mode" :rolleyes2 #hater

Thank you so very much!! Portrait mode is awesome-- don't let the #haters stop you from taking your best pics and living your best life!

I just started following along - loving all of the updates and pictures!

Also - totally 1000% agree with you on the hate for soupy mac and cheese - give me baked mac and cheese anyday (adding that dish to my must-do's for our upcoming January Trip).

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

YES! Baked mac >>> soupy mac ANY day of the week! You definitely have to try the macaroni gratin at Chefs!!!

I love this picture & portrait mode! :love:

I understand why Epcot has the tier system in place for FP+, but the tiers make it seriously difficult for me to choose between this, FEA, and TT for my family,

Ugh agreed. I get the tiers too but so annoying! Especially HS now what the heck!

Oo I always get the orange but I've been on a lemonade kick recently and now I'm gonna have to try the lemon!

There was plenty of fresh chunks of lobster in here-- all delicious, especially having spent some time soaked in that butter and cream! This was so rich and delicious. Not a cup of soup I could have finished, but a wonderful start to the meal.

Sounds AMAZING. And also, that looks big enough to be a meal alone!

While it may not be as appreciated as some other meals in Disney, I believe it is the best macaroni and cheese, if not the best pasta dish, at Walt Disney World.

I love a good macaroni and cheese and I need this in my life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter