News Round Up 2020

They play this game every year near Spring Break. They usually end up extending the hours to at least 10pm for MK during the 3rd week of March, which is usually when our Spring Break is. The boards have been full that last few years with complaints of this, and then WDW increases the hours for most people. Sometimes, they even open at 8am (non-EMH), 7am (EMH), and announce this earlier opening the week to a few days before.

I see 10pm closures for MK from March 8th into April.

As for bread, didn't Tiffins stop giving free bread quite a while ago? I think at least the last two times we ate there they didn't give any.

I dont see any mention of a Ratatouille ride opening date being announced with the MMRR media event...correct?

So sheeple - huh? (This is saying that when entering the park people are being routed from SSE towards Nemo, so basically people coming in going "Hey here's an attraction - let's ride this!" I did noticed the Nemo waits went WAY down in the evening.

Absolutely. It's why we never ride Spaceship Earth early in the day because so many people go to that first simply because it's the first thing they see.

Absolutely. It's why we never ride Spaceship Earth early in the day because so many people go to that first simply because it's the first thing they see.
I think this will also be a thing for MMRR. You walk straight in, there's this big building smack in front of you with a people eating ride. Combined with it being new, I think this will hover around 90 most days but even after a few years, I feel like this will get that initial, "Oh, look! A ride!" before dropping closer 25-35 around the last hour when families leave with their little ones.

Looks like it has settled a bit lower after the initial rush

Wow .. people WERE able to get Fast Passes today, right? If after the initial "rush" of several hour wait and it is down to 100 to 60 minutes now? That seems like the ride can handle crowds super well.

Just seems llike the DHS strategy now is .. get to DHS early (before rope drop) , get in .get your boarding pass and then go hit the NON-headliners (Aliens Swirling Saucer, Star Tours, any shows, etc. ) first while the initial crowds die down as people try to rope drop those Tier 1 rides. Basically seems like you get longer wait times at rope drop compared to going say .. now 10-11 am .. where wait times for something like MFSR dropped to 35 minutes.

Just seems like it may be crazy (unless you are at the very front of the pack) to try and hit the Tier 1 rides at rope drop.

Or (if you have hoppers) .. get your boarding pass and hop over to Epcot for the morning. Heh.

I'm going to keep a close eye on this. Had planned to get FPs for MMRR but if it's a good people eater and the waits are reasonable, it might be one I can cross off our Tier 1 FP wish list!

It will be interesting to see strategies going forward ... makes me think of when they added the third theater for Soarin how it made it a lower priority to get a FP for due to the added capacity

Obviosuly still not a *ton* of rides at DHs, but this seems to be very high capacity and Smuggler's Run has pretty good capacity and seems to be running reliably ... in some ways best bet might be to get your FP for RnRC and rope drop ToT and then do the other tier 1 rides later in the day ... but time will tell

Wow .. people WERE able to get Fast Passes today, right? If after the initial "rush" of several hour wait and it is down to 100 to 60 minutes now? That seems like the ride can handle crowds super well.

Just seems llike the DHS strategy now is .. get to DHS early (before rope drop) , get in .get your boarding pass and then go hit the NON-headliners (Aliens Swirling Saucer, Star Tours, any shows, etc. ) first while the initial crowds die down as people try to rope drop those Tier 1 rides. Basically seems like you get longer wait times at rope drop compared to going say .. now 10-11 am .. where wait times for something like MFSR dropped to 35 minutes.

Just seems like it may be crazy (unless you are at the very front of the pack) to try and hit the Tier 1 rides at rope drop.

Or (if you have hoppers) .. get your boarding pass and hop over to Epcot for the morning. Heh.
Good strategy. Morning rush will continue to be bonkers until Rise is FP+ which is long aways.

The silver lining to this is mayhem at HS, is at least now HS is a finished product. Nothing new coming for at least a few years. More likely 5 years. Now it’s about Epcot and a single attraction at MK (Tron).

It will be interesting to see strategies going forward ... makes me think of when they added the third theater for Soarin how it made it a lower priority to get a FP for due to the added capacity

Obviosuly still not a *ton* of rides at DHs, but this seems to be very high capacity and Smuggler's Run has pretty good capacity and seems to be running reliably ... in some ways best bet might be to get your FP for RnRC and rope drop ToT and then do the other tier 1 rides later in the day ... but time will tell
Yes, I stopped getting a Soarin' FP once they added the 3rd theatre.

Last September we were there on a Friday of the Food and Wine festival and WALKED ON Soarin at 4:30pm!!! The ride ran with empty rows of seats! :eek:

Good strategy. Morning rush will continue to be bonkers until Rise is FP+ which is long aways.

The silver lining to this is mayhem at HS, is at least now HS is a finished product. Nothing new coming for at least a few years. More likely 5 years. Now it’s about Epcot and a single attraction at MK (Tron).

Well there's still the new BBQ place in TSL. :)

One report I saw on Twitter stated that Tony’s removed there complimentary bread completely and now has $9 garlic knots as appetizer. If true, that’s ridiculous.
I guess I am ok with just not provide plain old bread just b/c it is standard practice ... if they are going to have something, make it unique/special. Like a Topolino they have fresh bread and then two different olive oils for dipping and a bit of a presetnation explaining that - something like that I think is good and adds to the meal

Bread is very unhealthy and many people are becoming aware of that. Many places outside Disney have stopped bread service. However, even as a person who generally doesn’t eat bread, I do at restaurants. I see it as a special treat. I think asking the table if they would like bread is a good idea to cut back on waste.The pasta places like Tony’s should be the places to lose bread service- it’s more traditional at pasta places, not to mention most of the meals at pasta places are carb-heavy anyways- what’s a little bread when you’re already eating a huge serving of flour-based pasta?

True -- I suspect that DHS will have some sort of "temporary attraction" pop up this summer like they have had the past few years. (Maybe something where Municiberg was last year) ... a new M&G, dance party, something to help eat the crowds that are bound to increased now that the park has NINE ride attractions and many shows.

For such a small park, it has more attractions (ride or show) to do now than AK or Epcot. Because of the tiering, it probably becomes a 2-day park like MK for a lot of families. I know I am planning at least a day and half there on my next trip (maybe more if I decide to pony up for park hoppers)

Last edited:
Immediate or very close-to-execution changes to park ops are the kind of thing they do seem to have reliable sources for. It's the long term/big picture stuff that has caused issues.
I tend to think they were probably closer to correct on Country Bears than many people want to admit. I think it was at least one of the things being discussed as a possible cut.

Look at wait times across DHS today...40 minutes for TSM, 80 for SDD, 75 for MFSR, just 35 for TOT and 40 for RNR. It will be interesting to see if MMRR, in addition to being a high capacity ride (based on TouringPlans calculations, it will be likely tied for the highest capacity ride in the park, although I know some sources have different numbers), also has sufficient people eating abilities as to meaningfully lower waits elsewhere.

You would think that it would, given that it's just the 8th ride in the park with a standby line. And adding capacity has a mildly exponential benefit on reducing waits, it shouldn't be merely a straight "8th ride means 1/7th lower waits".

Could also be that there's just not that many people there today.

Of course nothing is going to help with the crowds we saw President's Day week.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter