News Round Up 2020

I’m behind here, so others may have had this opportunity...we just got done with an early screening of Onward. Really enjoyed it! No spoilers...sweet movie and worth seeing. Probably not a huge blockbuster, but will still do well, I think. Usual Pixar laughter and tears. 😉

PS - No end credit scene.

Agree .. what happened to the days you go see a Pixar movie and there would be a GREAT Pixar short? (Not that the last one I saw (Bao) was very good (well .. just wasn't for kids). Are we just relegated to watching them via Disney+ now?

So ya .. seeing the sneak preview tomorrow -- not thilled about my kids being exposed to The Simpsons. Not sure what to do about that.
The Simpsons short was fine. A little Simpsons-y, totally silent, sweet but not to the level of the clips posted here or like Bleeding Gums Murphy’s last appearance (that one punches me in the gut every time)

Onward, on the other hand, I think may have scarred my children for a while. My nearly 4 year old lost his mind about 20 minutes in when an initially sweet character turns very dark, lights a costumed character on fire, and burns down the the building they’re in. (very minor spoiler) It’s easily the scariest scene I’ve seen in a Pixar movie. We had to leave, my son was unrecoverable.

We too just saw Onward. Was a fun, enjoyable movie with a pretty emotional ending (not detailed spoiler but just to be safe: especially for anyone who had a sibling play a parental role in their life). Not one of the best of Pixar but certainly good/solid/fun.

My 5 year old did get a bit scared at points but not too bad

Agree about the Simpson short - no dialogue and some "Simpsony" humor, mostly in written things (like the book titles the moms at the park are reading) so unless kids are good/quick readers no issues

Still strange to see the title screen at the beginning say "Disney presents The Simpsons"

We didn’t see Onward today but we did go up to Disney Springs for the photo-op with the Unicorn van. They were also hanging out free purple Onward toboggans like the character wears so that was fun.

Also finally checked out the Riveria Resort and saw the Beauty and the Beast sing-a-long. Not a bad afternoon.

@TheMaxRebo - I’m curious to know how much your younger kids (and anyone else’s) enjoyed the movie. My DH and I were discussing that it seemed geared more toward an older audience.

@TheMaxRebo - I’m curious to know how much your younger kids (and anyone else’s) enjoyed the movie. My DH and I were discussing that it seemed geared more toward an older audience.

So all 3 kids said they enjoyed it. The 5 year old did get scared a bit and spent much of the movie on my lap. I would place it similar to like Coco as far as age range

Saw Onward. The Simpsons short was very good and very appropriate for a kids movie. My 3yo loves the short. Way more kid appropriate than Bao was in front of Incredibles 2.

loved Onward. What a great adventure and the kids loved it and caught my “sad happy tears” several times near the end.

We also saw Onward this afternoon and loved the movie and the Simpsons short. The Simpsons was a huge part of my life all through the 90s+, and I’m still not even sure it’s something I want to introduce to my girls, but it was a good example of a sweet Simpsons bit, and certainly shrewd of Disney to put it out to their tween-ish potential Disney+ viewers.

We also saw Onward this afternoon and loved the movie and the Simpsons short. The Simpsons was a huge part of my life all through the 90s+, and I’m still not even sure it’s something I want to introduce to my girls, but it was a good example of a sweet Simpsons bit, and certainly shrewd of Disney to put it out to their tween-ish potential Disney+ viewers.
I forgot to mention, our $15 admission got each of us one of these awesome Disney pins:

4FA42B33-34B2-4CC9-8538-023319C33453.jpeg

Also, my one gripe: no post-credits scene.

So all 3 kids said they enjoyed it. The 5 year old did get scared a bit and spent much of the movie on my lap. I would place it similar to like Coco as far as age range
My 7yo son loved it (adventure, magic, action, etc.) .. my 3yo (daughter) didn't seem scared of anything in there -- definitely not as "scary" or "intense" scenes as say Incredibles 2. Since she isn't as "sheltered" as our first born was, she just isn't as sensitive to a lot of scary stuff (as a matter of fact she says she LIKES scary stuff!). The story isn't as for kids as say Frozen 2, and heavy with some tween-teen level emotion (figured that out from the previews), but the kids liked it. There were a LOT of small children in our theatre (probably a majority of the audience was preschool/elementary age).

Not sure why Disney did a "sneak preview" like this, but glad I saw it advertised and went. Bonus getting the pins with admission!

While I enjoy the Pixar sequels (maybe with the exception of Cars 2), nothing beats the Pixar originals of the last decade .. (Inside Out, Coco, Onward (the Good Dinosaur being the massive exception to this rule)). I hope Onward gets some sort of presence in the parks .. just not sure where it would fit really (besides a M&G somewhere in DHS).

Not sure why Disney did a "sneak preview" like this, but glad I saw it advertised and went. Bonus getting the pins with admission!

Usually advanced screenings like this are to generate positive word of mouth, so more families will go see it when it actually opens! That means Onward is probably tracking to open pretty low, especially since movie-goers attention seems to be on Mulan right now (I can’t scroll through Facebook or twitter without seeing a friend posting about it), so I’m glad to see so many people reacting well to the advanced screening! Onward doesn’t really look like my cup of tea, but it would be a shame for an original Pixar story to underperform. I am already looking forward to Soul though

Usually advanced screenings like this are to generate positive word of mouth, so more families will go see it when it actually opens! That means Onward is probably tracking to open pretty low, especially since movie-goers attention seems to be on Mulan right now (I can’t scroll through Facebook or twitter without seeing a friend posting about it), so I’m glad to see so many people reacting well to the advanced screening! Onward doesn’t really look like my cup of tea, but it would be a shame for an original Pixar story to underperform. I am already looking forward to Soul though
Makes sense .. this Pixar movies are hard to tell what they will be like and I am guessing most live off of word of mouth .. especially since they are just "emotional" tales. Worked for me .. I'll highly recommend it to anyone I talk to (and even adults without kids). My wife missed it today and I desperately want her to see it.

At this point, I'll go see any Pixar movie on past performance alone (and Cars 2 and Good Dinosaur ALMOST made me stop that). It's not like you can really get across in a trailer what the appeal of movies like "Up", "Coco", "Inside Out", etc are.

Onward is odd -- because it is a heart felt "human" story in the trappings a weird "fantasy" world. The fantasy trappings and the similarities to Zootopia (what would the modern world look like if Elves, trolls, etc. live in a modern world with modern technology?) .. may turn off some as "silly", but as we Pixar fans know .. that is just the window dressing for that deep emotional tale (which this is).

Makes sense .. this Pixar movies are hard to tell what they will be like and I am guessing most live off of word of mouth .. especially since they are just "emotional" tales. Worked for me .. I'll highly recommend it to anyone I talk to (and even adults without kids). My wife missed it today and I desperately want her to see it.

At this point, I'll go see any Pixar movie on past performance alone (and Cars 2 and Good Dinosaur ALMOST made me stop that). It's not like you can really get across in a trailer what the appeal of movies like "Up", "Coco", "Inside Out", etc are.

Onward is odd -- because it is a heart felt "human" story in the trappings a weird "fantasy" world. The fantasy trappings and the similarities to Zootopia (what would the modern world look like if Elves, trolls, etc. live in a modern world with modern technology?) .. may turn off some as "silly", but as we Pixar fans know .. that is just the window dressing for that deep emotional tale (which this is).
Why does The Good Dinosaur get so much hate? I've always liked that movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter