News Round Up 2020

Feeling that the new head of WDW is left with the task of saving the golden goose. For 2020 and beyond, how to repair the customer view about being nickle and dimed to death. About how to "hide" the petty charges like parking and resort, kill the rumor of paid FP, charges for dining reservations, etc.

The discounts being announced now tell me that booking for the summer are down... Only an impression at this point.

Nothing would make me happier with WDW than for a major swing back to being guest focused in the way they used to be. Here’s hoping!

Unless I'm mistaken, a room discount dropped today too - I hadn't seen this before:

Bask in the Sun & Fun – Save Up to 25% on Rooms This Spring and Summer

Make the most of your Walt Disney World Resort vacation when you stay in the magic with this great offer.
Save up to 25% on rooms at select Disney Resort hotels for stays most nights April 1 through September 12, 2020 when you book by February 26, 2020.
Is there an AP discount that is going along with this one? I see one on the Speical Offers page, butwhen I click on it, it just takes me to page to buy an AP. Is there not a way to see the AP discount and availability UNLESS you already have an AP? I had though last year I booked an AP discount rate before I had bought my AP voucher. I could be misrembering.

Is there an AP discount that is going along with this one? I see one on the Speical Offers page, butwhen I click on it, it just takes me to page to buy an AP. Is there not a way to see the AP discount and availability UNLESS you already have an AP? I had though last year I booked an AP discount rate before I had bought my AP voucher. I could be misrembering.
There is an ap offer. I think you need to have an active ap to book it on your own, otherwise you have to use a travel agent to book it.

There is an ap offer. I think you need to have an active ap to book it on your own, otherwise you have to use a travel agent to book it.
Bummer. I guess calling Disney direct would work too? I wasnt planning on pulling the trigger on an AP (basically just going to get one for my daughter) until it was near the 60-day mark. We arent 100% committed to a mid-June trip and I have to determine when we would go next after that to see if AP was worth it.

Knowing the discount availability and rate would help immensely in that decision. If an AP rate really drops the price from the Sun&Fun Discount the cost of the AP may be worth it.

Bummer. I guess calling Disney direct would work too? I wasnt planning on pulling the trigger on an AP (basically just going to get one for my daughter) until it was near the 60-day mark. We arent 100% committed to a mid-June trip and I have to determine when we would go next after that to see if AP was worth it.

Knowing the discount availability and rate would help immensely in that decision. If an AP rate really drops the price from the Sun&Fun Discount the cost of the AP may be worth it.

Yes, you will have to call.

Come over to this thread; AP Discount Watch, and one of us will try to look up dates and prices for you if you list out hotel choice and dates.

I know one actor who would love to be a part of the prequel prequels. Samuel L Jackson has always said he would love to play Mace Windu again. I think I could enjoy some more Purple Lightsaber action

I know one actor who would love to be a part of the prequel prequels. Samuel L Jackson has always said he would love to play Mace Windu again. I think I could enjoy some more Purple Lightsaber action
While I do love Mace... I think it’s unlikely we will get more of him.

Also a small note: The High Republic is actually not the Old Republic... the High Republic has been mentioned once in Cavan Scott’s Dooku Jedi Lost (I think that was where anyway...) so some hardcore SW nerds I know are speculating that Project Luminous will be the multi media project (books/comics/video games) leading up to the next movie set in an entirely unexplored era.

Makes me think their early signals are summer crowds are softer than they would like
I really think this is the new normal. People are less concerned about taking kids out of school, they don't want to sweat to death, and all the Epcot festivals are during the year. Maybe if they start the 50th next year after memorial day summer will be a little fuller with people who can't wait to celebrate, but I think it will settle back into being the slower season.

I really think this is the new normal. People are less concerned about taking kids out of school, they don't want to sweat to death, and all the Epcot festivals are during the year. Maybe if they start the 50th next year after memorial day summer will be a little fuller with people who can't wait to celebrate, but I think it will settle back into being the slower season.

yeah, plus even for people that do go during the summer, that is spread outa cross the summer (and for some people where the kids get our early, then June is good, for others where they get out late but go back late, late August is better, etc.) - vs during the year when the holidays are roughly the same for everyone and even spring break is a few weeks but still sort of the same few weeks. And like you said, I think more people are willing to take the kids out, at least for a few days. I know we are doing that this February, adding a few days at beginning and end of their winter break to make it work since we drive down

As for the soft summer, I find it kinda interesting the year after they do the Largest Percentage of AP price hikes they are seeing lower booking numbers. Hmm I wonder how many out of state AP holders didnt renew. I know when I get APs I tend to go at least 4 or 5 times a year. The years I dont I tend to only go once or twice. This year I didnt get a AP because I went to DLP and Europe over the summer, there was no need to renew for me. I will prob get two next year for the wife and me for the 50th but my trip in March is non AP.

Before the major Price hike it was easier to justify the AP because of the 10 percent dinning discount, the merch discount, room discounts and the memory maker it wasnt that hard to make it worth it. But now that 200+ price increase means I have spend a extra 2 grand to see the value. Which means I either have to add another trip on (not counting food) or eat and buy more stuff on my normal number of trips. I dont need more stuff and I really prob should eat less stuff, so its harder to justify and I wouldnt be suprised if that is also keeping other out of staters away from the APs and the repeat trips.

Between March 2018 and March 2019 I spent over 30 days in the parks @ a WDW Resort. Between April 2019 and April 2020, I will only be spending 10 days at a Disney resort. 5 in Paris and 5 at WDW. For me It was actually 2 grand cheaper to go to DLP for 5 days and stay the the Disneyland Hotel there then it was for me to go to WDW and stay at the Grand Floridan for the same 5 days before I do all the things I do to make it cheaper this includes the price of air fare.

Just got back from WDW last night!
Amazing trip but VERY crowded. I will be looking at other time frames in the future.
ROTR was amazing and that's all I will say on that.

A quick note to say that Hollywood Studios was definitely the right choice for New Years Eve. Also United barely let us bring our boxed lightsaber as a carry on so just go ahead and check it (or don't and then have it checked for free at the gate since we got thru security with it?). Also Beaches and Cream's new space is wonderful and the food still delicious. Gran Destino was also great. There seemed to be issues with keeping the bus schedule posted but times weren't too bad.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Feeling that the new head of WDW is left with the task of saving the golden goose. For 2020 and beyond, how to repair the customer view about being nickle and dimed to death. About how to "hide" the petty charges like parking and resort, kill the rumor of paid FP, charges for dining reservations, etc.

The discounts being announced now tell me that booking for the summer are down... Only an impression at this point.
I’d agree. I did ADRs for 180 days (which is July 4) and seemingly everything had availability for the 4th and 5th. I was kind of shocked there was so much open for the 4th at exactly 180 days. Touring Plans also downgraded MK from a 10 to a 7 on the 4th of July (not that I put much stock in crowd calendars anymore).

We will see if the same holds true next week when I do ADRs for part 2 of our trip.

As for the soft summer, I find it kinda interesting the year after they do the Largest Percentage of AP price hikes they are seeing lower booking numbers. Hmm I wonder how many out of state AP holders didnt renew. I know when I get APs I tend to go at least 4 or 5 times a year. The years I dont I tend to only go once or twice. This year I didnt get a AP because I went to DLP and Europe over the summer, there was no need to renew for me. I will prob get two next year for the wife and me for the 50th but my trip in March is non AP.

Before the major Price hike it was easier to justify the AP because of the 10 percent dinning discount, the merch discount, room discounts and the memory maker it wasnt that hard to make it worth it. But now that 200+ price increase means I have spend a extra 2 grand to see the value. Which means I either have to add another trip on (not counting food) or eat and buy more stuff on my normal number of trips. I dont need more stuff and I really prob should eat less stuff, so its harder to justify and I wouldnt be suprised if that is also keeping other out of staters away from the APs and the repeat trips.

Between March 2018 and March 2019 I spent over 30 days in the parks @ a WDW Resort. Between April 2019 and April 2020, I will only be spending 10 days at a Disney resort. 5 in Paris and 5 at WDW. For me It was actually 2 grand cheaper to go to DLP for 5 days and stay the the Disneyland Hotel there then it was for me to go to WDW and stay at the Grand Floridan for the same 5 days before I do all the things I do to make it cheaper this includes the price of air fare.
I did not renew and worry about a secondhik before I can rejoin at the end of the year.

Does seem to be the new normal. Free dining and room discounts for the summer?

Despite the heat (we have gone before in end of August) .. we are going to try Mid-June and see how it is.

I hope this rumor is wrong. I don’t want anymore prequels. To me, a fresh start would be moving the story forward. Not backwards.

I guess we’ll have to see what happens. It’s unlikely that they have any definite plans if they’re truly taking a break.
My guess this project is separate from the Feige movie.

Even with these discounts I’m still surprised with the hotel rates. North of $200 for a moderate with the discounts?! All stars still north of $140?!

That’s with AP, FL resident, and GP rates that I’ve looked at.
Ya .. probably seeing Values under $100 are done and gone. As most of us know .. who have been going a lot over the past 5 years ... ticket and hotel rates have SHOT up at a ridiculous pace.

But..the parks are still crowded as ever .. and most of us have our next trip booked, so who can blame Disney?

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter