News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it just depends on the definition of dark ride. Does it have to be slow moving or can it be fast?
I think the key to a dark ride is that you are in a vehicle that is led along a desired path and your view is directed in a guided direction to various show scenes ... so as long as a ride does that, it doesn't matter what speed it goes at.

I read a very interesting book about the history of Disney’s dark rides, though the author started with the history of the dark ride itself. It’s called Adventures and the Evolution of Disney’s Dark Rides by Shawn Farrell. Anyways, according to him, a dark ride must be lit to obtain a certain effect (doesn’t have to be literally dark); there must be a story; a sense of immersion provided by scenery, figures, etc.; and motion through a mostly/totally indoor place. So Tower of Terror/Guardians of the Galaxy is not a dark ride. Personally I don’t consider any ride that provides most of the scenery/story via screens to be a dark ride, like Spiderman or Gringotts. Forbidden Journey is a hybrid.

I read a very interesting book about the history of Disney’s dark rides, though the author started with the history of the dark ride itself. It’s called Adventures and the Evolution of Disney’s Dark Rides by Shawn Farrell. Anyways, according to him, a dark ride must be lit to obtain a certain effect (doesn’t have to be literally dark); there must be a story; a sense of immersion provided by scenery, figures, etc.; and motion through a mostly/totally indoor place. So Tower of Terror/Guardians of the Galaxy is not a dark ride. Personally I don’t consider any ride that provides most of the scenery/story via screens to be a dark ride, like Spiderman or Gringotts. Forbidden Journey is a hybrid.
ToT seems to meet the definition you listed. I definitally think ToT is in a gray area, but Amusement Today lists it as a Dark Ride and I take their word for it.

This is GREAT news that will make many people happy! Thank you for sharing!!

yeah, ahtough the 6:45 start for the Skyliner still seems to late to feel comfortable with securing a BG - or at least one that isn't super late in the day and has the potential to not be reached. I think a 6am start time so people can get through security, etc. prior to the actual park opening (which has been by 6:40) would be better .... but guess better than nothing

yeah, ahtough the 6:45 start for the Skyliner still seems to late to feel comfortable with securing a BG - or at least one that isn't super late in the day and has the potential to not be reached. I think a 6am start time so people can get through security, etc. prior to the actual park opening (which has been by 6:40) would be better .... but guess better than nothing

I just had a thought. They are probably worried that opening it at 6 or earlier would lead to way too many people showing up outside the DHS gates. By starting it just before (published) park opening, they are ensuring anyone that uses the Skyliner will be able to go right in to DHS rather than just adding to the backup of guests waiting outside the park.

I just had a thought. They are probably worried that opening it at 6 or earlier would lead to way too many people showing up outside the DHS gates. By starting it just before (published) park opening, they are ensuring anyone that uses the Skyliner will be able to go right in to DHS rather than just adding to the backup of guests waiting outside the park.
I'd agree with that concept.
Things are already backing up too much.
I would think the smarter thing to do would be to allow folks into the main road, but holding them there, and then open boarding groups 20 minutes or so later. While people wait, the gift shops get a ton of business.
The back up is because people want that one boarding group spot. Just let them in the park and open the groups at a set time afterwards. No sense making the people wait outside where they can't buy anything.

ToT seems to meet the definition you listed. I definitally think ToT is in a gray area, but Amusement Today lists it as a Dark Ride and I take their word for it.

ToT you don’t move through scenes nor is there an ongoing story. You go past one set and that’s it. One of my fav rides though.

ToT you don’t move through scenes nor is there an ongoing story.
There absolutely is a story, the pre and post shows summarize it pretty clearly for you and it’s narrated to you as you ride. And you go through multiple scenes. There’s the hallway scene, the fifth dimension scene, multiple scenes in the tower itself depending on the ride profile, and the exit scene.

There absolutely is a story, the pre and post shows summarize it pretty clearly for you and it’s narrated to you as you ride. And you go through multiple scenes. There’s the hallway scene, the fifth dimension scene, multiple scenes in the tower itself depending on the ride profile, and the exit scene.
This. Plus the queue before and after the preshow are also scenes that are part of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter