News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are the Drury hotels normally nice? The only one I've stayed in was the one in Columbus, and it was a dive.
Drury basically has two brands. The one most people have stayed in is the "Drury Inn and Suites" which is undistinguished, freeway-off-ramp style of lodging. There's one of those on Sand Lake Road. They also have a dozen or so "Drury Plaza" offerings, which are most commonly higher end and set in renovated historic buildings.

The re-do to the Best Western will be a "Drury Plaza." The BW is hardly a historic building--tho it is interesting architecturally--but among the DSRA set I'd expect the re-done version to be higher end than say the Holiday Inn, but perhaps not so nice in terms of amenities as the Plaza or the Hilton or the Wyndham. Key will be what they do with the pool, which at the BW is deeply second rate.

Drury basically has two brands. The one most people have stayed in is the "Drury Inn and Suites" which is undistinguished, freeway-off-ramp style of lodging. There's one of those on Sand Lake Road. They also have a dozen or so "Drury Plaza" offerings, which are most commonly higher end and set in renovated historic buildings.

The re-do to the Best Western will be a "Drury Plaza." The BW is hardly a historic building--tho it is interesting architecturally--but among the DSRA set I'd expect the re-done version to be higher end than say the Holiday Inn, but perhaps not so nice in terms of amenities as the Plaza or the Hilton or the Wyndham. Key will be what they do with the pool, which at the BW is deeply second rate.
Drury started a third brand around a decade ago called Peach Tree Inns. I think it presently is only in about four or five states. It is definitely a budget hotel. All the locations are all old Drury Inn & Suites that were considered past their life span for the Drury name.

The Inn & Suites locations are definitely not Westin caliber, but they are a step above your typical Holiday Inn or Hampton.

The Inn & Suites locations are definitely not Westin caliber, but they are a step above your typical Holiday Inn or Hampton.

I got curious and checked the one in Columbus - it is an "Inn & Suites" location - have to say I found it to be WAY below standards of most Holiday Inns I've stayed in. I travel a lot for work and don't really care about staying in higher end hotels...but that Drury was awful. Musty, outdated, bad plumbing....it definitely turned me off of the brand.

Im sure their is something in their contract with Disney for the land user that will make Drury have to keep a certain standard or risk being kicked out. After all the land is owned by Disney nothing gets built in WDW without Disney having some sort of oversite.

The other award The Lion King is up for is best animation...so much for being a "live-action" film :)
That does mean 3 films for Disney nominated for best animation
For the globes yes. I don't believe Disney submitted this as an animated film for the academy.

Im sure their is something in their contract with Disney for the land user that will make Drury have to keep a certain standard or risk being kicked out. After all the land is owned by Disney nothing gets built in WDW without Disney having some sort of oversite.
Not sure about that. The BW in DS was the worst hotel I've been in since I stopped working as a carny. The portable crib "mattress" was a pile of folded up sheets on top of what was probably a $20 mattress 20 years ago. Also had to change rooms multiple times.

Not sure about that. The BW in DS was the worst hotel I've been in since I stopped working as a carny. The portable crib "mattress" was a pile of folded up sheets on top of what was probably a $20 mattress 20 years ago. Also had to change rooms multiple times.

Disney has no say in the finer details of a hotel being run on property they own and lease out. They can restrict certain types of business on that property, but can't dictate standards or format as long as it's reasonable to run the proposed business at the site being leased. They aren't a Disney hotel, just a hotel that is paying for use of land Disney owns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!