News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glad to see they are doing park specific bags, rather than winding up with liek 20 of the same bag

Thought this was interesting though: "If you’re having merchandise delivered to your Disney Resort hotel from the parks, plastic bags will still be used." ... thought they might just add in a reusable bag as that "extra $" is like the cost of the service

That is a good question.

I don’t have a problem too much with it. If I have a big item I’ll either ship home or to the resort. I usually always have a backpack too so I can just stick items in that if need be.

Also I would possibly be inclined to buy the reusable bags if they stay $1-2. I’m not going to spend $5+ though.

my wife loves reusable bags so this is a positive for us - as that becomes a cheap souvenir (but agree, better stay in the $1-$2 range)

Glad to see they are doing park specific bags, rather than winding up with liek 20 of the same bag

Thought this was interesting though: "If you’re having merchandise delivered to your Disney Resort hotel from the parks, plastic bags will still be used." ... thought they might just add in a reusable bag as that "extra $" is like the cost of the service
That’s basically telling people there’s a delivery fee to the hotel. I imagine that would hurt sales.

That’s basically telling people there’s a delivery fee to the hotel. I imagine that would hurt sales.

yeah, well, that was why I would "hide" it in the cost for the bag ... or let people provide a reusable bag if they don't want to pay the fee

Guess just seems silly to me to get rid of them, but not really

That is a good question.

I don’t have a problem too much with it. If I have a big item I’ll either ship home or to the resort. I usually always have a backpack too so I can just stick items in that if need be.

Also I would possibly be inclined to buy the reusable bags if they stay $1-2. I’m not going to spend $5+ though.

This was my park bag:
upload_2019-1-24_14-36-53.png

My husband carried one and I carried the other.

It's doubtful I would ship to my home. I did do a few ship to resort purchases but I didn't on a few other things because we had our rental car and we were leaving the parks right then and there. I mean it's cool if Disney doesn't mind me carrying around t-shirts and puzzles in my hands around the theme parks..just don't assume I'm shoplifting :P (being serious at the same time).

Wouldn't it just be funny if I shoved an old Disney shopping bag into my park bag and used that (I am reusing a plastic bag..)

Don't forget people do stay offsite so ship to resort is not an option there.

I wish there was a way to do a pole within a thread. We have been paying for single-use plastic bags in most grocery stores, Walmart, etc for a few years now where I live. I don't get asked how many bags I would like to purchase when visiting MI, NY or FL.

Wondering if purchasing bags (plastic for .05/each) is a Canadian thing or if other places do it also?

I like the option to buy a reusable bag but I find I have so many and often forget to take 1 or 2 with me. Guess I need to work on changing this.

yeah, well, that was why I would "hide" it in the cost for the bag ... or let people provide a reusable bag if they don't want to pay the fee

Guess just seems silly to me to get rid of them, but not really

Hidden fees don’t go over too well either. It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out. Like for me, once the Disney Stores started charging for bags, I stopped going in the store. Easier to just order their stuff online and have it sent to my house for free. At the parks, I tend to already ship everything home that isn’t easily carried anyways so this may not matter as much.

This was my park bag:
View attachment 377981

My husband carried one and I carried the other.

It's doubtful I would ship to my home. I did do a few ship to resort purchases but I didn't on a few other things because we had our rental car and we were leaving the parks right then and there. I mean it's cool if Disney doesn't mind me carrying around t-shirts and puzzles in my hands around the theme parks..just don't assume I'm shoplifting :P (being serious at the same time).

Wouldn't it just be funny if I shoved an old Disney shopping bag into my park bag and used that (I am reusing a plastic bag..)

Don't forget people do stay offsite so ship to resort is not an option there.
At least Disney has options for people. My state hasn’t gone so much away from plastic bags yet but many have so some will already be used to this. I suspect shipping to front of park, resort or home will become more popular.

At least Disney has options for people. My state hasn’t gone so much away from plastic bags yet but many have so some will already be used to this. I suspect shipping to front of park, resort or home will become more popular.
To the bolded-That's partly why I'm wondering a) If they'll keep that as an option (hard to imagine they would get ride of it completely but never say never) and b) that it will remain a free perk.

I actually liked using it in 2011 at both USO and WDW but we didn't use it in 2017 because we were onsite at Disney and purchased things as we left for the night at Universal but we also had a rental car.

If it gets too popular Disney will either see it as too much of a hassle or could captialize on it by charging for it-at least that's my concerns.

To the bolded-That's partly why I'm wondering a) If they'll keep that as an option (hard to imagine they would get ride of it completely but never say never) and b) that it will remain a free perk.

I actually liked using it in 2011 at both USO and WDW but we didn't use it in 2017 because we were onsite at Disney and purchased things as we left for the night at Universal but we also had a rental car.

If it gets too popular Disney will either see it as too much of a hassle or could captialize on it by charging for it-at least that's my concerns.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t remain or remain free.

My issue with reusable bags isn't even the cost of them. It's the inconvenience of having to have them with me whenever I want to make a purchase. I don't normally plan to do that and I don't want to walk around with an empty bag all the time. Plus as others said, I actually like collecting the plastic bags and I get a lot of use of them at home. My one reusable bag from Disney springs has just been collecting dust. Just keep the plastic bags and charge people .50 a piece for them or something to encourage them to get the reusable ones instead. I don't buy that it's a conservation thing. As opposed to it as I am, I'll end up buying one every time, and I think Disney knows that's what most people will too, especially those that aren't locals/regulars.

"If you’re having merchandise delivered to your Disney Resort hotel from the parks, plastic bags will still be used." :rolleyes2 And I assume they'll have to do the same for front-of-the-park pickup.

I've been saying this for a while -- I'd do the same... and Disney, HOW MUCH MORE MATERIAL IS USED TO SHIP VS. JUST GIVING US RECYCLED BAGS?! Asinine.

This is ridiculous. I have a ton of "reusable" bags that I didn't even pay for sitting in my closet, not getting reused. Meanwhile, plastic "single-use" bags get reused as garbage bags in our house.
Same here.

Bottom line for me: We will make fewer impulse purchases, and ship home anything that isn't really small that we desperately must have. I hope they see a dip in sales. This is so inconvenient for those who don't walk around the park with backpacks, like to make impulse purchases, and don't want to amass a bag bill and a stack of reusable bags by the end of a vacation that they don't need.

"If you’re having merchandise delivered to your Disney Resort hotel from the parks, plastic bags will still be used." :rolleyes2 And I assume they'll have to do the same for front-of-the-park pickup.

I've been saying this for a while -- I'd do the same... and Disney, HOW MUCH MORE MATERIAL IS USED TO SHIP VS. JUST GIVING US RECYCLED BAGS?! Asinine.

Same here.

Bottom line for me: We will make fewer impulse purchases, and ship home anything that isn't really small that we desperately must have. I hope they see a dip in sales. This is so inconvenient for those who don't walk around the park with backpacks and don't want to amass a bag bill and a stack of reusable bags by the end of a vacation that they don't need.

I'm not discounting your feelings, but I'm going to hazard a guess they won't see any dip in sales due to this new policy. Or at least nothing noticeable enough to promote a change in the new policy.

I guarantee most people in the general public won't bat an eye at buying one of those bags for $1.

(cue the disboarders coming to tell me everyone will mind!:wave2:)

my wife loves reusable bags so this is a positive for us - as that becomes a cheap souvenir (but agree, better stay in the $1-$2 range)
Kinda funny...the shopping bags were part of my souvenir to me at least. I actually do that to other places. Still have my Aulani bag, still have a bag from Sandals St. Lucia, still have my bags from all the museum places and so on and so on.

Still have all the bags from 2011 and 2017 from both WDW and USO.

Here's the kicker....they were all free AND all are in working order completely able to be reused :D

My issue with reusable bags isn't even the cost of them. It's the inconvenience of having to have them with me whenever I want to make a purchase. I don't normally plan to do that and I don't want to walk around with an empty bag all the time. Plus as others said, I actually like collecting the plastic bags and I get a lot of use of them at home. My one reusable bag from Disney springs has just been collecting dust. Just keep the plastic bags and charge people .50 a piece for them or something to encourage them to get the reusable ones instead. I don't buy that it's a conservation thing. As opposed to it as I am, I'll end up buying one every time, and I think Disney knows that's what most people will too, especially those that aren't locals/regulars.
This doesn’t bother me. I live in California where we no longer get any free bags for grocery stores and places likes target that sell groceries and have to pay for paper or hard reusable plastic at checkout if we don’t bring our own. I keep a selection of canvas and stronger reusable bags in my car at all times.

I'm not discounting your feelings, but I'm going to hazard a guess they won't see any dip in sales due to this new policy. Or at least nothing noticeable enough to promote a change in the new policy.

I guarantee most people in the general public won't bat an eye at buying one of those bags for $1.

(cue the disboarders coming to tell me everyone will mind!:wave2:)

I suspect that you're right. But I can hope they regret this and reverse it, given how inconvenient I find it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter