News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for BoG for dinner. My family isn't into Octopus and other FruFru items they're showing. Last visit, we went for lunch and had great time. I know we're not adventurous. And, these menu items will turn the family off from going in the evening.
OK. Lunch is still an option at BOG, though, right? I think it's about time that they have such an offering in MK as they do in other parks. There are still plenty of other options at various price points for dinner in MK.

I don't mind the IP...it's probably more related to what the general/most guests (e.g. those that don't frequent Disboards) want. Some of the IP are new so that even if it is IP, it's fresh (e.g. Coco, Moana). Though I do feel like there is an overall movement in entertainment to re-do or expand upon things that have already been done as opposed to creating something completely new (e.g. all the sequels, the live-action Disney movies, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.).
I would love representation of IPs that are not otherwise reprisented. Right now it feels like all the same IPs

I am hoping as I age and start having kids, some of the later 90s/Early 00s stuff will finally get some attention. You know for being retro.

I would also love a ride that wasnt just from another park. Though I will say it gets them put in the park faster, which right now the park needs but I hope they take the EPCOT refurbs as a choice to get innovative (get it?)

As I mentioned in my article I don't mind IP either I just feel it needs to fit into where its placed. Pandora does that and does it well. Guardians is more of a stretch though. Part of the issue I think is not just whats fresh but selling the merchandise.

I completely agree - like the discussions that have happened about Guardians in the America Pavilion...not a fan, but Guardians in Future World in Epcot I think works. I also know you and I have agreed about how Pandora fits into the theme of Animal Kingdom as a whole (tree of life, circle of life, everything connected, etc.). And you're right...as soon as something new comes out the first thing people are wondering is will there be a character meet and greet and will there be merchandise - Disney knows they can capitalize on those profits!

I completely agree - like the discussions that have happened about Guardians in the America Pavilion...not a fan, but Guardians in Future World in Epcot I think works. I also know you and I have agreed about how Pandora fits into the theme of Animal Kingdom as a whole (tree of life, circle of life, everything connected, etc.). And you're right...as soon as something new comes out the first thing people are wondering is will there be a character meet and greet and will there be merchandise - Disney knows they can capitalize on those profits!
ok but where is MOANA?!?!

Do you think we will see an original (non-IP) attraction ever again?

I'm hopeful but not counting on it. I am still cautiously optimistic of a 5th gate in my lifetime, even if it's 40 years from now. That would all but guarantee it.

It seems unlikely until they get finished updating the current parks but I sure hope so.

Thought I'd share this and see what everyone's thoughts are...

Disney's IP Movement

I know not exactly news or rumors but there isn't really any where else to discuss this.
A bit late to the party today but really loved this article. I don’t mind IP in parks, BUT, I don’t think EVERY attraction needs to be tied to IP. One of the things I’ve always loved so much about Disney is their Imagineering. It’s what really sets Disney Parks apart from other parks. Pirates, HM, Space, BTMRR all had stories tied to them not part of a movie. And those rides still hold up today. ToT had a movie based on the ride (granted, it was a weak movie but c’mon, Steve Guttenberg!!). As for Epcot I have strong feelings of dislike for IP taking over the park. I would have loved to see imagineering take Walt’s vision for EPCOT to the next level. Instead, they are just bringing in IP, which I feel is the cheap and easy way out. Ok, maybe not financially cheap but definitely cheap in terms of imagination, creativity, vision, etc. Anyway, there’s my unsolicited two cents. Nice job @rteetz

Do you think we will see an original (non-IP) attraction ever again?

I think what's interesting about the current movement is what it says about Disney's view of creativity and storytelling. Management clearly believes that the engine of creativity for the company is the motion picture business. That's the primary source of the franchises they draw upon for the parks. But I would think that many Imagineers are of the view that attractions can be just as fruitful sources of stories themselves. Joe Rhode has expressed this view in various forums; and there are at least some examples of attractions forming the basis for franchises that extend to movies--Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc. If that's right, then reinvigorating original attractions will likely require a change in mindset among upper management toward the Imagineers' view.

While sad that nothing truly original comes out anymore, I always bang the drum that e end though it wasn't called IP at the time,most of the original Disney stuff was based off his movies and tv shows. Advetureland was base off True Life Adventures. Even Pirates came from the Treasure Island movie and the popularity of the movies that followed it. Matterhorncame from Third Man on the mountain. Trying something to an already existing idea can work just fine, but really the important thing is to make it entertaining for someone that doesn't care about the IP. Cars is not an IP I enjoy, but Carlsbad is so wonderfully done. Meanwhile,Paradise Pier has no IP,but is shoddy and boring, and I hope the Pixar theme can unify it somewhat.

Oh, and current half way through our WDW stay. I have to say for so much construction going on they done a good job of not making it feel obtrusive. DHS desperately needs stuff to open. We got their at 2:30pm yesterday and had a hard time stretching to 8 pm for the projection shows. (Though we skipped fantasmic to get a better spot for the shows.) I haven't taken too many pictures of the construction areas because there is really nothing new to see. The gondola station at DHS appears to be putting beams in the ground. Toy story mania is a mess, and going to get worse.

Oh, and I thought the Nemo show was going to be down for a while. It's was open today if that is news. (Maybe not.) Also saw the tiger cubs today, they are getting big, but not as big as mom.

Just now sitting on the balcony at the Boardwalk watching Illuminations. (Not the greatest view but can see all the fireworks) DVC is awesome.

Oh, and current half way through our WDW stay. I have to say for so much construction going on they done a good job of not making it feel obtrusive. DHS desperately needs stuff to open. We got their at 2:30pm yesterday and had a hard time stretching to 8 pm for the projection shows. (Though we skipped fantasmic to get a better spot for the shows.) I haven't taken too many pictures of the construction areas because there is really nothing new to see. The gondola station at DHS appears to be putting beams in the ground. Toy story mania is a mess, and going to get worse.

Oh, and I thought the Nemo show was going to be down for a while. It's was open today if that is news. (Maybe not.) Also saw the tiger cubs today, they are getting big, but not as big as mom.

Just now sitting on the balcony at the Boardwalk watching Illuminations. (Not the greatest view but can see all the fireworks) DVC is awesome.
Maybe that refurb was cancelled or opened early? It was supposed to be closed until the 24th.

I have seen more theme park advertising than ever before recently. Mostly universal. I also saw my first sea world ad where I live. Disney has also rolled out Toy Story Land ads.

I keep seeing Disney resort ads but no toy story and that one universal ad with the employee who shows off Jurassic park, harry potter, and fast and furious.

We tried to get boardwalk for our upcoming trip in June but had to settle for Bay Lake Tower. Poor us :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter