• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

I know they are charging money for this and this is at WDW, but I remember when Disneyland would give Autopia Drivers Licenses out for free (not with your picture on them) with a different car color on the back each time. You also had the chance to get a free toy car if your card had the word "winner" on it or something at the shop outside of the Autopia. I never got a free toy car though. I wish Disneyland would go back to doing that.

It is supposed to get an update. Personally I like the ride and hope it stays so when I have kids I can take them on it.

Agree - an update (especially if they could do electric cars or something like that) would be great...one of my all time fav pics from our trips is a selfie I took while my daughter was driving one of these things for the first time...it was of me acting absolutely terrified - every time we see it we crack up.

They've been expecting this for awhile.

There are no other teams near Orlando and that makes it near impossible.
Just my tigers in Lakeland. But I'm expecting they'll be moving in the foreseeable future (as an aside the braves are moving to the town my grandparents live which is kinda cool)

Just my tigers in Lakeland. But I'm expecting they'll be moving in the foreseeable future (as an aside the braves are moving to the town my grandparents live which is kinda cool)

The braves are going to fort Myers...

Expect the tigers to between Clearwater and Naples as soon as somebody is dumb enough to give them money for it.

When I lived in Orlando there were 3 within 5 miles of my house...wasn't that long ago

Well the Tigers just got a major stadium upgrade for renewing their contract so they shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon

I know they are charging money for this and this is at WDW, but I remember when Disneyland would give Autopia Drivers Licenses out for free (not with your picture on them) with a different car color on the back each time. You also had the chance to get a free toy car if your card had the word "winner" on it or something at the shop outside of the Autopia. I never got a free toy car though. I wish Disneyland would go back to doing that.
Years ago WDW gave them out free too, then they went away, so it's nice they are doing this again even if there's a small fee. After being able to buy them at Legoland, I've been wondering why Disney was missing the opportunity.

DH & I got to enjoy 5 park days together JUST THE TWO OF US ...we did not like HEA. We both were very impressed with the projections - that technology is incredible! But, I had no emotional connection to the new show.

It was pretty crazy to see how many trees were down across the property - not necessarily IN the parks, but as we rode around!
I'm a little late to this, but you nailed DW and my thoughts on HEA. We just got back yesterday from 9 days at WDW. We checked in on the 16th. Supposed to be at Ft. Wilderness, but got put up at OKW until Wednesday.

HEA is incredibly impressive from a technology stand point. Even the timing of the fireworks is perfection, but I just felt like it was a promo for the various DIS media IP. Wishes really pulled us in. HEA feels like a really well done commercial.

You can really see the hurricane damage when getting looks at backstage areas. Looking outside the park on the railroad. Jungle Cruise opened last Thursday. Many, many cut trees around the ride. We did KTTK tour on Thursday and the guide said JC was closed so long because it had to be drained to cut the downed trees out of the track. Fort Wilderness opened on Wednesday with a very fun Re-opening Ceremony (below), but there was still quite a bit of heavy equipment pulling out and cutting up trees.

20170920_080556sm.jpg

20170920_083857sm.jpg

j

I'm a little late to this, but you nailed DW and my thoughts on HEA. We just got back yesterday from 9 days at WDW. We checked in on the 16th. Supposed to be at Ft. Wilderness, but got put up at OKW until Wednesday.

HEA is incredibly impressive from a technology stand point. Even the timing of the fireworks is perfection, but I just felt like it was a promo for the various DIS media IP. Wishes really pulled us in. HEA feels like a really well done commercial.

You can really see the hurricane damage when getting looks at backstage areas. Looking outside the park on the railroad. Jungle Cruise opened last Thursday. Many, many cut trees around the ride. We did KTTK tour on Thursday and the guide said JC was closed so long because it had to be drained to cut the downed trees out of the track. Fort Wilderness opened on Wednesday with a very fun Re-opening Ceremony (below), but there was still quite a bit of heavy equipment pulling out and cutting up trees.

View attachment 272790

View attachment 272794

j

I didn't realize JC had re-opened so that is good to hear. I missed riding it! (As an aside, I popped over to the Camping board this morning to read about Ft. Wilderness post-Irma and "saw" you and your fun re-opening day pictures!)

I didn't realize JC had re-opened so that is good to hear.(As an aside, I popped over to the Camping board this morning to read about Ft. Wilderness post-Irma and "saw" you and your fun re-opening day pictures!)
As of last Thursday, everything was open except for Tom Sawyers Island, I think. Friday, they had crews on the island clearing the paths and getting it back in shape. I didn't get back there on Saturday to see if it was open.

And I mostly hang out on the Camping Forum. That is "home". If you want to see more of my trip pics, check out the last few pages of the "September" thread over there.

j

I don't believe they got the entire thing for free but they definitely got free stuff. It's publicity for Disney and of course they are going to capitalize.
In a meet and greet q and a session at Disney Springs the Gees didn't disclose how much Disney paid them, but they did mention coming to an agreement with Disney about their compensation. I got the feeling that their 30 day Disney World stay was completely free for the family, AND they got paid an agreed upon amount.

In a meet and greet q and a session at Disney Springs the Gees didn't disclose how much Disney paid them, but they did mention coming to an agreement with Disney about their compensation. I got the feeling that their 30 day Disney World stay was completely free for the family, AND they got paid an agreed upon amount.
Just my two cents: 30 Days was too long. As a follower of Disney’s Instagram, it only took about 2 weeks for it to go from “Oh this is fun, where are they headed next?”... to a dark place of “Oh where do these %*^#£$&@ get to go for free TODAY????” And at that point, we weren’t even halfway.

Yeesh. I've said my piece, I know people disagree with me. But wow, that's excessive hope they were worth it!

When we were last at Disney, we were there when they were filming. By sheer coincidence, we rode with them on 7DMT. Then later that night our group was walking to Narcoossee's and they were outside being filmed. Then, after we were seated, they came in and were seated right next to us. I actually think that we are in some of their shots.

The one thing I will say about this is that obviously Disney will capitalize on something like this. There aren't many families with young children that can take a 30 day vacation while moving from one resort to the next. However, they clearly had (and can obviously afford) handlers as there were some with them. Also, that night they had dinner with another couple with kids (I think). It appeared to us that the couple traveling with them had to pay for their food while they did not.

I can definitely see why people would have a problem with it. Disney has become so expensive that for many it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. And yet some of these individuals follow Disney as rabidly as we do. To then see these millionaires running around the floor of the Palm Club in the Grand Floridian, eating at the best restaurants on property, or taking bubble baths in the Dream Suite of the Castle - I could definitely see how it could rub some the wrong way. It almost makes me think that Disney should offer something similar to a random family. Some sort of drawing that anyone can enter. I think that it would at least help from an optics perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter