News Round Up 2017

The key words there are *walking* and *animatronic*. Costume characters walking? Sure thing. Animatronic droid rolling around via remote control, yea, easy enough. Animatronic walking around? No way.

Robotics have only recently gotten to a point where a 4 leg robot can maintain balance, and even then they are unwieldy and dangerous around people (especially tourists). If there is an animatronic wookie I expect it to be stationary.

I'm aware that in a controlled setting they have had a two legged robot walk around. But it's a controlled setting. You don't have small children running up to or passed it, you don't have people bumping into it, and you don't have lawsuits waiting to happen.

Besides, even if they had a roped off area for one of these things, the cost of building one is much more than simply paying someone $10 an hour to stand around in a fur suit.

I'm not saying I don't wish it was true. I'm saying it isn't technically, or even financially, feasible.

edit: Also, in that video notice the QR codes all over the place. On doors, walls, boxes, etc. That is how the robot recognizes the device and how to manipulate it, or move passed it. If Disney doesn't want Visa logos on the registers, I find it doubtful they want QR codes on everything.

I'm aware that in a controlled setting they have had a two legged robot walk around. But it's a controlled setting. You don't have small children running up to or passed it, you don't have people bumping into it, and you don't have lawsuits waiting to happen.

Besides, even if they had a roped off area for one of these things, the cost of building one is much more than simply paying someone $10 an hour to stand around in a fur suit.

I'm not saying I don't wish it was true. I'm saying it isn't technically, or even financially, feasible.

edit: Also, in that video notice the QR codes all over the place. On doors, walls, boxes, etc. That is how the robot recognizes the device and how to manipulate it, or move passed it. If Disney doesn't want Visa logos on the registers, I find it doubtful they want QR codes on everything.

I don't disagree with you on any of those points (except perhaps that walking through the snow is not entirely a controlled environment). Simply pointing out that technology HAS moved well beyond an unstable 4 legged robot. I won't detract from the thread more by harping on that subject. Just wanted to show the technology out there.

SoCal has had record rain this month. And it was both windy and cold...I was in Dana Point last night and thought, oh, I will go watch the ocean. I lasted 15 minutes, and I'm from Iowa. Granted, I only had a light jacket on, but some of the folks I saw were in full on winter gear.
Streets in the LA area have also been flooding pretty bad, and they got dumped on last night again.

40-45 degrees in 100% humidity, rain, and wind is far tougher than 15 degrees, sunny, low humidity, and no wind.

They haven't gone away. They are back to being "special" and distributed on a very limited basis. They are no longer "on demand".

Seriously, this is why we can't have nice things. People play up the "I spent a fortune on Poly MK View Club Level and I never got a towel animal ONCE! What a ripoff!" And yes that's directly from a social media community that shall remain nameless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter