news from Disney......now they have all the angles covered

The press release says very directly that it's free during the 50th Anniversary celebration. My guess is, they'll use that time period to see how well it does and how people like it. I'm sure there will be survey questions asked about how much people would be willing to pay for the service. Then they'll adjust what they need to and start charging for it after that.

This sounds great! The airlines have lost my luggage (5 out of 5 pieces didn't make it from Tokyo!) so I hope it works!

This sounds interesting. I am curious to see if it works with DVC and Southwest Airlines also.

I'm concerned about lost luggage, luggage not arriving on time, riding a Mears bus with multiple stops, and no grocery stop. I'd say the towncar folks will keep doing the towncar thing. Unless I hear lots of good reports I know I will.

at first i couldn't wait for this to take effect but now i realize that towncars are so much better, and this new plan is just going to kill their businesses..i really do feel bad for them.

Won't help me any, I either travel by train to Kissimmee or DH drives me.

I really doubt it's going to kill TC businesses.

I for one completely distrust Disney in arranging anything for me, especially after the ticketing mess, reservations mix ups, missing PS, putting the wrong name on my daughter's AP(... TWICE), double and triple billings fiasco I experienced on this past trip.

Besides, in the end Disney WILL charge something for the service. By stopping at the grocery store before going to the resort, I can save about 4 days of breakfast and my entire trip bottled-water money which easily totals around US$80.

The above savings alone makes TC service expenditure (including tip) down to only US$40, the lowest amount Disney will eventually charge for that service.

Not to mention you have the car to yourself and you'll be 100% sure that your luggages won't be slammed around further during loading and unloading to the and from the vehicle.

So gflad someone else addressed the MCO/OIA issue! I was about to freak out knowing I booked tickets to MCO and not quite sure where we would be going next week! Whew! Glad MCO = OIA

Isn't anyone else wondering how they cleared this with the FAA? The first question they ask when you check into the airport is "has your luggage been out of your control at any time since you packed?" Well, the obvious answer to that will be "yes". I can't see the airlines allowing this, but who knows. We will most likely fly Northwest and they aren't on the list. Also, we are headed over to Kennedy Space Center after our Disney time, so we will need a car anyway.

I think it is great and many people will take advantage of it. I am glad Disney is taking the "extra" step to help their travelers even more. I am extremely impressed and suprised!!

I, for one, will definitely be taking advantage of it in the future. Good luck to anyone else who uses the service.

No thanks! I'd rather wait a few minutes for my luggage and be picked up immediately by a TC and dropped off directly!

I've waited around for Mears before - not my favourite part of any trip.

golfgal said:
Isn't anyone else wondering how they cleared this with the FAA? The first question they ask when you check into the airport is "has your luggage been out of your control at any time since you packed?" Well, the obvious answer to that will be "yes".
Didn't think about that... but you are absolutely correct.

golfgal said:
Isn't anyone else wondering how they cleared this with the FAA? The first question they ask when you check into the airport is "has your luggage been out of your control at any time since you packed?" Well, the obvious answer to that will be "yes". I can't see the airlines allowing this, but who knows. ...

It looks like the resort luggage check in desk will act as the airline ticket counter and they will ask the "question".

Am I right in assuming that you wouldn't see your luggage until you got back to your home airport?

the counter at the resort would have to weigh and tag your bags and give you the luggage "receipt"?!!

Lets say you check your luggage at 9AM for a 6PM flight. You go to the parks and enjoy your day. Your luggage is sent to the airport at 10AM, goes through x ray and sits at the airport for 6 hours. Would that be right?

It looks like a logistical nightmare.

Ed

Does sound like a wonderful idea-- even though there a going to definetly be bugs that will have to be worked out. We always rent a car no matter if we stay on or off site. DH doesn't like to be w/o one (unless we're on a trip in NYC then he does the taxi thing). Actually, DH says that the Disney area and WDW property is some of the best "marked" for out of area travelers in his opinion.

mbcary said:
I think it is great and many people will take advantage of it. I am glad Disney is taking the "extra" step to help their travelers even more. I am extremely impressed and suprised!!

I, for one, will definitely be taking advantage of it in the future. Good luck to anyone else who uses the service.

ITA :cool1:

debloco said:
While I am sure that many, many people will like and take advantage of this nice, money-saving perk, I cannot see my family using this service. We have tried the Mears shuttle in the past and found it to be very time consuming. The shuttles do not depart until they are full and then make multiple stops to drop off passengers at different resorts. The time spent waiting for additional passengers plus the time spent unloading passengers at multiple stops is not an efficient use of our vacation time. They also pick you up almost 3 hours prior to your flight time! That's time that could be spent in the park. I would rather pay the $50 for a cab right after I deplane and get to the resort in 1/2 an hour than go through the new Disney process and shuttle. It comes down to time vs. money and for us, I'd rather spend the $ and have more time and less hassle. JMO.

CLC Tiger Pom Mom :cheer2:

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! It's like you read my mind!!

Tiffany Towncar is the best! We have used them three times and LOVE them. You tell them when to pick you up for your departure, plus the grocery stop. The drivers have always been nice and it's a PRIVATE, DIRECT ride to your resort. You wait for no one but yourself!! The $95 round trip (for six) is well worth it to us!!!
:flower1:

From what was described so far, Mears is going to own and operate the coaches (buses) taking guests between the airport and Disney. I am still surprised that in all their 30 years of service to WDW guests they hadn't themselves invented Disney resort only trips, not fully non-stop to your resort but avoiding the traffic lights on International Drive and Hotel Plaza.

As far as baggage sitting in the airport from your checkout time until your flight time, the whole operation is being orchestrated by different companies and I am sure Orlando Airport is cooperating.

Airport agents don't ask the question, "Has your bag been out of your control...?" any more do they?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Last trip: Jan. '05, Pop Century, rented a car

seashoreCM said:
Airport agents don't ask the question, "Has your bag been out of your control...?" any more do they?

Yes!! At EWR (Newark, NJ) they asked us in May!!

Seems to me with Magic Express and the new tickets Disney is making sure you don't even have a chance to set foot on anything but their property. The MYW tickets cost only a few dollars more to add each day after about 4 days. You take the free bus in, so you don't rent a car. Why go to Seaworld or Universal (and pay $55+) when another 3 bucks gets you another day at the world? Disney has very cleverly thought up a way to insure you spend all your time-and money- at WDW. AND, the new customizable tickets and free bus make it look like their doing guests a big favor in the process. Disney is good!
Is that a complaint? No, they're in business and doing a darn good job at it. We always rent a car, so the new bus doesn't matter to us. We usually stay offsite and we love Seaworld and the independence a car gives us. And I realize that the new tickets and bus service will be very helpful to some people. But this service will end up making money for Disney I suspect, even if they don't directly charge for it. I'm a major Disney addict, and can't wait to go back, but I'm impressed with just how long term smart this plan is. Devious, but smart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter