Newbie to Disney cruises has a couple of questions.

Evasmommy

Mouseketeer
We have been on other cruises but this will be our first Disney Cruise and our first cruise ever with our daughter who is 9. I have some basic questions.....do you need a power adapter for outlets (for a hair dryer) ? What time do your bags usually need to be outside your door for the day you return? Can my husband just wear khakis and polo/golf shirts to dinner? We are going on the 8 night Bahama cruise from NYC. Will we have a formal night? Character meals? Thanks for all and any of your advice. The info on the actual DCL site isn't so useful for this stuff.

We have been on other cruises but this will be our first Disney Cruise and our first cruise ever with our daughter who is 9. I have some basic questions.....do you need a power adapter for outlets (for a hair dryer) ? What time do your bags usually need to be outside your door for the day you return? Can my husband just wear khakis and polo/golf shirts to dinner? We are going on the 8 night Bahama cruise from NYC. Will we have a formal night? Character meals? Thanks for all and any of your advice. The info on the actual DCL site isn't so useful for this stuff.

If you want to use your personal hair dryer, it will need to be at the desk area. The plugs there are standard plugs.

Bags outside the door the night before by 10 pm on most of our cruises.

Khakis and polo is fine for the cruise casual nights.

Probably a formal night. On our 7 night cruises we had 1 formal and 1 semi-formal night.

Cruises of 7 nights and longer have a Character Breakfast. You will be given the information for when yours is.

:cutie:

DCL will make things very easy for you and you will get some printed material from them near your cruise date. However, you'll get lots of good info here.

Cruises of 7 nights or more normally have a formal night, a semi-formal night, a pirate night, and 4 "cruise casual" nights. However, these are "suggested" dress and not enforced in any way unless you choose to go to an adult only restaurant where you will encounter a strict dress code. Khakis and polos are totally appropriate for cruise casual. Again, on cruises of 7 or more nights, we have always had a character breakfast--you'll get your time/date in your cabin upon boarding.

Luggage normally has to be out between 8:30 and 10:30 on the last evening although the precise time has varied a little from one cruise to another. Again, having never done the exact cruise you are on, I can't be precise. However, you will get written instructions in your cabin on the last full day.

You do not need a power adapter. Many people find that an extension cord with a power strip is helpful.

DCL will be sending you a complete set of boarding instructions with your luggage tags etc. Since you can now choose times on line to board the ship/ at least at Port Canavarel....this simplifies things. Dress up/ formal evenings run the gamut through types of dress for individuals. A really nice suit would be all your husband needs for that. Ladies dress different ways: short cocktail dress, dressy 3 piece pant suits and the like. Depending on time of cruise remember to take a shawl or jacket as dinner shows and some restaurants are on the cooler side with A/C. Your daughter will have a grand time. Also hairdryers are mounted on the wall in the bath. The idea of a power strip is a good one...but internet...may only be available using your laptop in the ships internet cafe. All other information will be given in boarding packet or the daily newsletters aboard ship.

do you need a power adapter for outlets (for a hair dryer) ?

No--Disney ships have standard US outlets

What time do your bags usually need to be outside your door for the day you return?

I don't remember the exact time--I'm thinking 8 o'clock

Can my husband just wear khakis and polo/golf shirts to dinner?

Yes

We are going on the 8 night Bahama cruise from NYC. Will we have a formal night? Character meals?

As I recall, all cruises 7 nights and longer have a formal night and a character meal. You will be assigned a date for your character meal.

Since you're not new to cruising, you probably know this, but you might want to check out the sticky insurance thread--there are issues regarding pre-existing conditions coverage and when you purchase your insurance.

So whenyou say khaki is that pants or shorts? Can men wear khaki shorts to dinner?
Disney asks that you NOT wear shorts in the dining rooms. You WILL see people in shorts because Disney chooses not to push the issue with those who refuse to adhere to the dress guidelines. The wording used to be suggested attire. They have dropped the "suggested" from the literature, but still refuse to stand up to those who simply cannot follow the rules. Can you guess that this is a pet peeve of mine??

I definitely recommend bringing your own hair dryer (the one on the ship wasn't that great) and a power strip or at least an extension cord where you can plug in more than 1 thing.

This is helpful for charging items as well as the hairdryer.

I used the power strip for my hairdryer out at the desk. Without the extra cord, I wouldn't have been able to see the mirror.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter