Newbie - DVC borrowing ahead questions

Apixarfan

Earning My Ears
I'm a DVC newbie. Short version of my question: Before the morning of the booking, should I do anything special if I think I might need to borrow ahead a little from the next Use Year to make the booking go faster online? I understand there's a 50% borrow-ahead limit right now and we won't get anywhere close to that.

Longer story:

I am a very new DVC owner (just bought earlier this year). We're trying to build up some points for a nice splurge for just our first trip next Spring which means I'm getting very close to making my first reservation. I have a March Use Year and already rolled over my 2021 points. For a March 2022 stay I would use all of my rolled over 2021 points and all of my 2022 points, but I might need just a few extra to make the reservation I think I want. I know certain resorts/rooms book up very, very fast at the 7 month window so I want to be prepared to make the booking ASAP that morning. My questions are:

1. Do I need to do anything special in advance to borrow ahead points? If not, what should I look for on the DVC booking site to borrow ahead and complete the reservation (assuming it's not already sold out).
2. If I need to cancel or modify that trip, do the borrowed points automatically go back to the Use Year they were borrowed from?

I'm a DVC newbie. Short version of my question: Before the morning of the booking, should I do anything special if I think I might need to borrow ahead a little from the next Use Year to make the booking go faster online? I understand there's a 50% borrow-ahead limit right now and we won't get anywhere close to that.

Longer story:

I am a very new DVC owner (just bought earlier this year). We're trying to build up some points for a nice splurge for just our first trip next Spring which means I'm getting very close to making my first reservation. I have a March Use Year and already rolled over my 2021 points. For a March 2022 stay I would use all of my rolled over 2021 points and all of my 2022 points, but I might need just a few extra to make the reservation I think I want. I know certain resorts/rooms book up very, very fast at the 7 month window so I want to be prepared to make the booking ASAP that morning. My questions are:

1. Do I need to do anything special in advance to borrow ahead points? If not, what should I look for on the DVC booking site to borrow ahead and complete the reservation (assuming it's not already sold out).
2. If I need to cancel or modify that trip, do the borrowed points automatically go back to the Use Year they were borrowed from?
1. You can borrow the points needed to complete the reservation during the booking process.

2. Borrowed points remain in the UY into which they were borrowed. If you borrow 2023 points to make a March 2022 reservation and then cancel, your borrowed points will expire at the end of your 2022 UY.

1. You can borrow the points needed to complete the reservation during the booking process.

2. Borrowed points remain in the UY into which they were borrowed. If you borrow 2023 points to make a March 2022 reservation and then cancel, your borrowed points will expire at the end of your 2022 UY.

Thanks! In theory, after a modification, could I just roll over those borrowed points back to the next year where they came from (assuming I'm not within the last five months of my Use Year)?

Thanks! In theory, after a modification, could I just roll over those borrowed points back to the next year where they came from (assuming I'm not within the last five months of my Use Year)?

No, borrowed points can’t move back ever, no matter when you modify or cancel.

So, if you borrow any March 2023 UY points for your March 2022 trip, those points remain in your March 2022 UY.

However, those points, along with your banked points from 2021 will be the first ones used up in any modification. So, while the borrowed points stay, the 2022 UY points would be available for banking if still in the banking window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter