New York Hotel recommendations

BusyBusy, I think this thread was started back in 2010 - so these guys have all had their stay. ;)

But I just wanted to chime in and say we are staying at the Doubletree for 4 nights October 2-6 - 2011!:woohoo::woohoo:

we are heading that way after WDW and our cruise.

Glad to read some glowing reviews.

Hi Battymum,

I just realised that this was started back last year!! My excuses.....blonde, tired, school holidays, 80 days until we leave, washing just finished and needs to be put into the dryer but I'm on the computer, Billy got kicked off MasterChef.....things are CRAZY!!!!

It looks like you are doing your trip in the opposite direction to us - we willl be in NYC first, then headed to WDW. You will LOVE the DoubleTree, and there are so may great things within minutes. One of the best is the EarthCam just downstairs - outside the souvenir shop next door. I have stood there like a ratbag waving at the camera for everybody at home - and I made my parents do it for us last year too - it was great!

Plus the chain restaurants like Famous Dave's and Bubba Gump - ridiculous amounts of food, and of course Footlocker....my 13 year old son wants to know if we can go straight there on our first night - we will only have been travelling for 25 hours so - of course we can!!! Sooooo excited!!

Someone mentioned the Pod hotel earlier, Yotel has also opened up near Times Square. They do have rooms that will sleep 4 + roll away (First cabin - terrace/hot tub) They look compact, but clean, free wifi, and some have terraces with hot-tubs! If everyone in one room is ok, might be a new option to check out.

We stayed here in December last year and as mentioned the location is amazing!! But,we had corner room and it was very small. Once the bed was out in the lounge area it was very hard to get passed. We will def stay here again but will request that it is not a corner.

While we were staying at the DoubleTree in 2009, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys filmed their "Empire State of Mind" video on the big red steps straight over the road from the hotel! :goodvibes:goodvibes

We were there with friends and their 21 year old son was out very late, the next morning he told us all about it - they were filming at 3am and we had slept straight through it!!

Every time I see the video I imagine us 26 floors above them!!

Oh well, that shows why you shouldn't go to bed in a city that never sleeps!! :laughing:

We are booked to stay at the Hotel on Times Square, 59th W 46th Street, in a two-room suite. But now you guys have made me go look up this Doubletree... I could get a similar room at Doubletree for maybe $20/night more (can cancel HoTS up to 24 hours beforehand with no issue). HoTS has a queen bed for the kids in the living room, DT a fold out sofa bed (but they're little, so I doubt they'd notice).

Should I do it??

We are booked to stay at the Hotel on Times Square, 59th W 46th Street, in a two-room suite. But now you guys have made me go look up this Doubletree... I could get a similar room at Doubletree for maybe $20/night more (can cancel HoTS up to 24 hours beforehand with no issue). HoTS has a queen bed for the kids in the living room, DT a fold out sofa bed (but they're little, so I doubt they'd notice).

Should I do it??

We have been going back and forth about this as we were booked to stay in New Jersey as we were meeting relatives now they are not coming we just booked for 2 nights so excited :cheer2:i used the Tripadvisor rate 15% off. It gave us the best rate and we cancel 24 hours before if we need to which i hope we don't.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ites_Times_Square-New_York_City_New_York.html

Done! I've used that 15% off as well. :D It will mean we are closer to Mary Poppins when we do that, and also to family who are also staying in Times Square at the same time (at the Marriott or Renaissance I think).

We're going in Dec 2010 and the rates around Christmas are crazy! We are still tossing up between radio city apartments and the Novotel Times Square. We needed somewhere that will fit 5 in a room. We've got reservations at the moment at the Novotel times square for $349 per night including taxes. This is beginning to look like a really good price!

We are also going in dec but got a bargain 1 bed apartment at affinia dumont for (wait for it) $169 per night! i basically booked a refundable rate and stalked the five hotels we were interested in until one had a special. haven't checked lately but last time i liiked it was over $300 a night for the dates we had booked.

Well done Franrose, I know that you will LOVE the DoubleTree! :love:

Just 62 sleeps until we lay down on the gorgeous beds there - they are really comfy! :):)

BusyBusy and Battymum, I thought you were both staying at Radio City Apartments so why the change to Doubletree? :confused3

Not that I'm going to New York but I wish I was so have read lots of threads on here about it hence why I read the other New York hotel thread. :thumbsup2

We were originally booked at Radio City - but its an older style building, which is fine, but I have read complaints about street noise and a/c not working and being noisy.

As we are taking a return flight from Orlando, when I went to book through Expedia, I could get a package, flight and hotel, for about the same price - as booking Radio City and our flights separately.

Doubletree just looks a lot nicer, its part of the Hilton group and there is no worry about hearing any street noise and we get breakfast included- and there is a chance of getting a room with a view!:wizard:

I find it really hard to make decisions, (I am a Libran) so the beauty of being a family of five, is that there are not many options.

Oh that makes sense Battymum and it will be good to hear what you think of the Doubletree. We can't do NYC on this trip but all these trip reports and NY threads have me wishing we could have so I'm taking notes just in case we win Lotto and could do a New York trip next :rotfl2:

Yes we are only going for 4 nights and I know it wont be enough - I am already wishing for a second trip (without the offspring:rotfl:)

Sometimes I think we should have dropped the cruise and spent more time in both Orlando and NYC - but then I am really looking forward to the cruise as well.

There is just too much to do - you cant fit it all in one trip.:confused3

There is just too much to do - you cant fit it all in one trip.:confused3

So true, so true and, the more you read these travel boards, the more you see that you want to do !! I had so intended that our week offsite between WDW and the cruise would be relaxing down time with mostly unplanned days but now, I've got us committed to two days at Universal, a day at Sea World, a day to drive to Cape Canaveral to see the rocket launch, hopefully an Orlando Magic game....... :rotfl2: and now I'm a bit worried that we won't have enough days for shopping :scared1:

Same and same on the four nights and not long enough, but as we are with a group there were only two dates offered to us to come home on and we've already taken the later date.

Ooooh sooooo jealous of the rocket launch Travelmum!!

I am really concerned about our shopping time - looks like we will have to choose between a second water park day or a day at the outlet mall. I know this is going to be hard on the boys, they are not going to want to shop as much as DD and me.

DH wants to check out the malls as well but I think we will split up and he can take the boys somewhere and can pick us up later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter