~new Tropical System~

MO64RN

I never repeat gossip. So listen carefully.
Heard on the evening news about a new Tropical System forming rapidly in the gulf of Mexico. Here is the Link.
tropical system

NOAA is categorizing it currently as the potential to be a tropical storm, and its currect track is straight north. No mention of it being a depression or it having any potential to move east. Right now they have no tracking on it at all.

NOAA isn't watching it as a tropical cyclone so I wouldn't be worried about it.

It is now, 95LINVEST

20.jpg

Originally posted by HumanCookie
It is now, 95LINVEST

20.jpg

Yes, however, it is not being watched as a tropical cyclone, which is how they list tropical depressions that in turn may go to tropical storms and then hurricanes. This is from their tropical center/hurricane center. I realize that there is a disturbance, but it's not being tracked as a depression/hurricane yet. As of 8 am, here is what their site shows:

(Our Mission and Vision)
Active Tropical Cyclones
Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and the Eastern Pacific out to 140°W
Remember to Refresh or Reload this page for the latest information
Need help with getting the latest information?
Page last modified Thursday, 7 Oct 2004 10:18:04 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atlantic & Caribbean
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are no tropical cyclones at this time.

Eastern Pacific

TROPICAL DEPRESSION KAY Forecast/
Advisory
1500Z
Discussion
8 AM PDT
Maps and
Charts
Archive

Well if this system gets a name it will be Matthew - same as DS. He has been waiting for the next storm.

The danger here is relying too much on these forecasts!

When we left our house on 9/22 for the land/sea trip, Jeanne was forecast to be dwindling away to nothingness and moving east. Not expected to go anywhere near Florida.

We left with high hopes of a fantastic cruise on 9/26.

Lo and behold, 2 days later, Jeanne does a loop in the Atlantic and decides to head back toward Florida. You could have knocked me over with a feather, I was so shocked!

So, speaking from experience --- if there is *anything* out there, it has potential to go just about any way possible. Even if all the forecasts are saying "east", it can definitely loop around and go "west"!

Keep an eye on any tropical storm, depression, or anything!

Just my 2 cents, having been there.

Kris

Texas (and other parts of the gulf coast) rainmaker. Flood watches and warnings are already up. But yes there is a chance for the winds to be associated with it as well.

And Zeke 11, the problem with Jeanne is that a ridge kept holding longer than expected and another one built in, causing the loop. The models were projecting that loop but no one really knew where it could go after the loop because of the ridges. I remember waking up that Wednesday morning seeing it projected to hit at the Cape. :eek: Ran out and bought more water before all the crowds.

Originally posted by Miss Jasmine
Texas (and other parts of the gulf coast) rainmaker. Flood watches and warnings are already up. But yes there is a chance for the winds to be associated with it as well.

Yes, quite the rainmaker! We have been under a Flash Flood Watch for a few days here in South TX (just before you get to the Mexican border) and they have been talking about this system around here for what seems like forever. We are actually about 40 miles inland but the coastal areas (around Brownsville TX & South Padre Island) have gotten more of the rain. Looks like it could be affecting us for a couple of more days. IMHO, we can use some rain!:sunny:

I am down here in South Texas too, not so far down as Krystina's
Mommy, but in Corpus Christi. Its rainning and yes we are keeping an eye on it but we sure feel lucky this year compared
with all our friends in Florida!

Wintermom

Yep good old matthew maybe be forming. They say weather is favorable for him to become a TS by early tommorow. They dont expect strengthening to hurricane force. The NOAA says it would head north to lousiana then proceed east over mississippi and alabama. Just wonderful, we are still not done cleaning and restoring power from Ivan. They keep assuring us this wont be another ivan. Either way we are suppose to get heavy rain along with thunderstorms and isolated tornadoes saturday and sunday. They said if even it doesnt form into a tropical system to expect 25-35 mph winds. He could hit gulf states are tropical depression so we will see. Please send pixie dust our way to us and other gulf state residents. Forturnately he shouldnt affect cruise ships. We just got our cable and phone back yesterday from ivan!(luckily our internet was back 6 days after ivan)
frown.gif

Matt

Matt, any type of rain and wind can't be good for your area. :( I know I cringe every time it rains here because of people with compromised roofs. It has been pretty windy here the last couple of days as well, so some tarps have been flopping around.

FYI

http://www.wftv.com/news/3796784/detail.html

Tropical Storm Matthew Develops In Gulf Of Mexico

MIAMI -- Tropical Storm Matthew took shape in the western Gulf of Mexico Friday, with a projected path taking it to the northern Gulf coast as early as Monday, forecasters said.

Matthew, the 13th tropical storm of the season, had top sustained winds of 40 mph, and was traveling north near 10 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.

At 5 p.m. EDT, Matthew was located about 260 miles east-southeast of Brownsville, Tex.

No change in strength was expected through Saturday, but the storm was expected to turn to the north-northeast.

A three-day forecast showed the storm making landfall along the Alabama coastline Monday morning, and forecasters said they did not believe it would strengthen dramatically by then.

"We don't forecast it to be a hurricane," said meteorologist Chris Hennon.

Rains extending several hundred miles northeast of the storm were expected to continue for the next couple of days, forecasters said.

Strong winds Friday along the Louisiana coast were not related to Matthew, but a combination of the storm and a high-pressure system over the southeastern United States was causing coastal flooding in some areas, forecasters said.

The projected path does not make it look like it will affect my cruise or home. I am thankful for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter