New to camping, need advice

We went to many RV shows. Changed our minds on RVs at least a half dozen times. Renting an RV is a good idea but not something we were able to do.

Once you do decide and pull the trigger, practice practice practice... then practice some more.
Also, plan a break-in trip close to the house. Your gonna forget something and you need to be close to home just for that reason.

Don't buy everything you think or read that you will need right off the bat. Obviously get the necessities (water hose, sewer hose, surge protector, leveling blocks, etc) but hold off on the keypad door locks, hitch locks, sewer ladder, water filter, cable tv (cable), etc. until you have camped a few times and realize what you really really want/need and simply don't.

Heeding advice and trying out a camper at FW through Meachums in April
At least this will give us a feel for camping and a intro to this world.

Edit: We are also going to go to a RV and camping show in Greensboro NC when it rolls around next Jan., so heeding advice there as well.
My hope eventually is for a Class A diesel, with an extra doored area for sleeping, 1 1/2 baths. May be beyond what I can find used, let alone afford, but that's sorta my criteria to start with

Last edited:
Heeding advice and trying out a camper at FW through Meachums in April
At least this will give us a feel for camping and a intro to this world.

Edit: We are also going to go to a RV and camping show in Greensboro NC when it rolls around next Jan., so heeding advice there as well.
My hope eventually is for a Class A diesel, with an extra doored area for sleeping, 1 1/2 baths. May be beyond what I can find used, let alone afford, but that's sorta my criteria to start with

We started out with a HUGE 'wish list' when we started looking for our 2nd TT. Bit by bit that list got 'winnowed down', sometimes for practical reasons but mostly due to the costs involved. Many of our 'must haves' became 'can do withouts'. Even some of the 'must haves' we did get are now 'I wouldn't get that agains'.

Good luck and enjoy your time at Ft W in the rental. April is a long way off. Have you considered a rental nearer home at a sooner date? Take it to a local campground or even a local RV Park. Between now and April something may 'catch your eye' and you'll want to buy it, but you won't have had time in an RV to know if RVing is really what you want.

All depends on how many you need to put up for the night.
all different sizes, but smaller the better for towing, food, gas, rest stops., and setting up for the night,
ac and a comfortable bed is a must and place to set down to have coffee in the am.
these small rv,s have most everything your need except for size. But easy on the budget, gas, and everything about them. And have a lot of fun!
Question is how many people you have, the more, the more expensive, more costly , and most everything about can be lot more problematic.

All depends on how many you need to put up for the night.
all different sizes, but smaller the better for towing, food, gas, rest stops., and setting up for the night,
ac and a comfortable bed is a must and place to set down to have coffee in the am.
these small rv,s have most everything your need except for size. But easy on the budget, gas, and everything about them. And have a lot of fun!
Question is how many people you have, the more, the more expensive, more costly , and most everything about can be lot more problematic.
At least 3 adults, but hoping as GC(3rd on the way)get older, they will want to tag along with us. AC is a must for sure, and DW needs her coffee space:teeth:

I think a TT is going to be more in my wheelhouse price wise and getting the criteria we are hoping for. Class A still not out of question, but trying to find one with the extra 1/2 bath and bunks seems to be like finding a needle in a haystack.:tilt:
So a TT seems to be a better fit for us. I have seen a Jayco Whitehawk and Keystone Bullet that would work well for us, along with Grand Design Transcend Explorer(anyone ever had experience with the Grand Design brand?)

many RV are made by Forrest River. which is owned by warren Buffett and they all are good. and you can't go wrong.
I hear Grand Design are very good, but they all are really close to the same, as same appliances. features and materials. TT i like better, than 5th wheels. for many reasons, Class A, never had one, but i had some over heads, they was fun until you need do make a fast run. like go out for lunch or the store, they can be a real pain. Just find the one you like, and you can make it work. bit of advice, do not pay full price, they have a Hugh mark up. The dealer markup on RVs is usually between 20% and 40%, go for the 40 or go somewhere else. remember, the bigger, is nice, but more problematic. even the smaller one will do for 3. The, 1/2 bath just something extra to deal with, camp close to the shower houses. and Disney has some very nice ones.

Anyone ever had experience with the Grand Design brand?)
We strongly considered a Grand Design when we bought our last 5er, but price for the Solitude was a little more than we wanted to go and the Reflections didn't have what we wanted.

There are Class As out there with a bath and a half and bunks, but it seems people hang onto them. We were dead set on a bath and a 1/2 when we started looking for a motorhome. After being in a number of coaches, it seemed you lost a fair amount of living room space to get the 1/2 bath. Even in 44 footers. We ended up with a single bath. It gave us the most living space and a layout we really liked.
many RV are made by Forrest River. which is owned by warren Buffett and they all are good. and you can't go wrong. Class A, never had one, but i I've heard they are fun until you need do make a fast run. Like go out for lunch or the store, they can be a real pain.

Popy is right. Forest River has a huge chunk of the RV market and they have pretty good products in a variety of price points. Interestingly, the 3 brands you are considering, none are Forest River. Thor is the other big player in RVs. Thor doesn't have a great reputation, but they have bought up many top manufacturers in the past 15 years and quality in those has seemed to stay high. Jayco and Keystone were some of the last "independents", but both are under the Thor umbrella now. Both still make great RVs. Grand Design was reportedly started by 2 former Forest River execs. It is still independent and makes a really good product. If I was going to get back into a TT or 5er, Grand Design would be at the top of my list.
Most of us with Class As pull a car along for those trips out for groceries, dinner or sight seeing. Jumping in the Jeep and running out is nicer than having to take the dually and make sure you can find a place to park it.

20220513_174755.jpg

j

pulling that grocery getter behind 50 plus feet, class A ? and forced to back up, you will sell it pretty cheap. dont get a tt that needs a dually.

pulling that grocery getter behind 50 plus feet, class A ? and forced to back up, you will sell it pretty cheap. dont get a tt that needs a dually.
Had it since 2014 and try to avoid situations where I have to back up. I have gotten stuck twice and I just unhooked the car. Ten minutes later I was on my way. Not going to sell anytime soon and for what we do I haven't any use or need for a tt.

how is that long rig driving though Alanta. ., St louis., Orlando at rush time or up or down the mountain near
Chattanooga ? I live near Branson, very common to see class a pulling, broke down on the hills. in the summertime. I guess luck has been on your side. But maybe, not for a newbie.

how is that long rig driving though Alanta. ., St louis., Orlando at rush time or up or down the mountain near
Chattanooga ? I live near Branson, very common to see class a pulling, broke down on the hills. in the summertime. I guess luck has been on your side. But maybe, not for a newbie.
How? Probably not much different than driving a semi through those places. Longer than a Greyhound bus because of the tow. I try and plan my routes to avoid the worst traffic areas and times. I have gobs of HP and torques to get me up and down big mountains.
I do appreciate your concern but it's been 9 years and we've done pretty well so far.

I live outside St Louis and drive all those places you mentioned. Have friends that live out on Indian Point near the state park. No problems at all. City traffic is no different than pulling a 5er, whether it be STL, ATL or Chattanooga. MontEagle, approaching Chattanooga, is no big deal. Neither are the hills coming down 65 to Branson.

I've broke down more with my F350 pulling a 5er (including in the ATL area) than I have in the coach. That's the hazzards of driving all over the country regardless of what you are driving/pulling.

Most of the folks that have been on here for a while know that I used to tow big, long stuff when I raced. The race trailer was 48ft and went about 20,000 lbs. Pulled it all over the country, through StL, KC, Chicago, ATL. We raced from Salt Lake City, to Virginia and Minnesota/Wisconsin to Atlanta. The coach with a Jeep on the back is easy.

Trailers (2016_09_24 00_51_51 UTC) (2).jpg

j

I think most of us here are seasoned campers, and know how to handle ourselves where ever we may roam. Just the way it is. The best part is if we dont know we ask, and someone else has been thier done that. Lol. We also know out limitations , like Clint did. So we dont get stuck often. While I only have smaller TT , I did get detored this year into a one lane bridge in PA that I couldnt cross. Try K turning a camper on a small street. I almost gave up, but where is the fun in that. Some stuff is unavoidable. But I will say luck ia rarely involved in anything we do. If it is its the bad kind. And skill gets us out.

Forest River , Jayco and Keystone have been added to our TT lists. We have been watching several Youtube walkthrough videos so that helps too

Does anyone have input of power stabilizers vs. manual?

Last edited:
We went to several RV shows and local dealers before settling on a keystone 5th wheel (40ft).
I didn't purchase the tow vehicle until after we signed for the 5th wheel. They allowed us to keep the 5th wheel at the dealership for 1 month and it took that long to get a truck. Not sure that was the smartest move but it is what it is. Like you i was comfortable towing but had not towed a ton. It didn't take long for me to get comfortable and i backed that puppy into a spot just a few weeks ago that would have made me hesitate not much more than a year ago. The best advise about towing and backing up is to just go slow and don't get in a hurry. I have heard taht backing up a travel trailer or bumper pull is harder than a 5th wheel... and the shorter the travel trailer, the harder it can be. Food for thought.. ?

If i had to do it all over again, I would buy smaller and used. No issues with the 5th wheel so far but its gonna be a bit before we can upgrade to a Class A which is really where we want to be.

Does anyone have suggestions on a place to look for TT prices, say similar to Kelley Blue Book for autos?
I know of 2-3 dealers close by that carry the particular brand we are leaning towards, but would like to have a general idea of what is a decent price

JD Power has a site for RV prices. I like to shop around on RVTrader too to see what pricing is like around the region I'm in. You'll find there are some dealers who post their fairly lowest price but then don't budge much (or tack on high dealer fees on a low price), then others who post full MSRP with lots of wiggle room to negotiate. I bet you can get upwards of 25-40% off MSRP these days, depending on the rig you are looking for.

It's a pretty good buyers market right now, look for some new rigs that have been sitting on the lot a while that they want to move. We went the used route on our first TT, new on the second TT and used again on our first motorhome. If you have an RV show nearby to check out lots of rigs, that's a lot of fun.

https://www.jdpower.com/rvs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter