Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

First ever stay at the Poly coming up next week via a last-minute DVC rental--so excited! I have a question regarding the Kiki Tikis Splash Area. I see online that a 48-inch max. height is listed on the splash area sign. Will I be able to bring both my 4-year-old (under 48 inches) and my 9-year-old (over 48 inches) in the splash area, or are they strict about enforcing children's heights there? Thanks in advance for any insights!

When we were there for Mother's day weekend, my 4'5" seven year old was able to play in the splash play area no problem and was never questioned (he's an only child). I did stay close and keep an eye on him every time he was in there though in case it did cause an issue because he is VERY tall for a 7 year old and I wanted to be able to explain he is only 7 and has autism but nope.... no one even cared. I wouldn't worry about the 9 year old, especially if they are with a younger sibling.

Anyone who is there this week - have you seen any PhotoPass photographers at the resort? Wasn't sure if they had enough PhotoPass crew for that, but we love having pictures done on Poly grounds.

So happy to see our Poly coming back to life!!! And thank you for the new thread!

(I had a bad slip and fall accident recently and typing was a struggle so that’s why I’ve been absent from the boards lately. I am doing much better now though.)
Glad you are back online after your accident. Just make sure you recover fully by the 50th in time to enjoy all the special festivities.

Dave

Anyone who is there this week - have you seen any PhotoPass photographers at the resort? Wasn't sure if they had enough PhotoPass crew for that, but we love having pictures done on Poly grounds.

I’ve sometimes seen them in the past in front of the Maui statue, but haven’t seen any this week.

With the front entry doors still closed there’s not a ton of traffic flow at that part of the lobby at the moment. Other than those waiting in line at the check-in desks.

Looks like this project is just about done. Magical overnight landscaping crew. :-)

View attachment 591286

Wow, it's so lush you can't even tell something was removed from that spot. I am always blown away by the landscaping crew at Poly. Thanks for the pics and the on the ground reports. :)

Glad you are back online after your accident. Just make sure you recover fully by the 50th in time to enjoy all the special festivities.

Thank you! My genius co-worker insisted we come into the office on the day we got the remnants of T.S. Elsa up here to prep for the class we're currently facilitating. Naturally the sky opened up just as soon as I left to go home, and I fell crossing the street because it was so slippery. I injured my arm but it could have been a lot worse. No breaks or fractures but I fell hard on a nerve ending so the pain was really bad for a while. I will definitely be back to 100% by the 50th! The happy news about Canada finally opening up for US visitors certainly helped.

I’ve sometimes seen them in the past in front of the Maui statue, but haven’t seen any this week.

With the front entry doors still closed there’s not a ton of traffic flow at that part of the lobby at the moment. Other than those waiting in line at the check-in desks.

Thanks - I figured this, but thought I'd check. Appreciate all of your news on the scene this week!

BTW, for those arriving soon, the whole front entry thing is still very much a work in process. Yes, the front drive through structure is open - but everything after that is temporary/modified. The bell services/valet desk is temporary. The monorail station is still a very active construction project and if you’re in the area during the day, expect noise/commotion. Eg, I could barely talk to the bell services CM this AM without shouting.

That’ll be over soon enough and I’d rather they stay full steam ahead on construction, it’s just not quite that ideal tropical arrival experience at the moment if you are looking for perfect.

Bell services/valet felt understaffed given guest demand/traffic, but that can be said about a lot of things right now so not really unique to Disney.

Best way to get to MK right now? Bus from lobby or walk to TTC and ferry/monorail? Thanks in advance

I’d say there’s not really a ‘best’ way - just depends on your mood, weather, and where you are at the Poly. The temporary bus while the monorail station is closed, walking to the TTC to the Resort monorail, or taking the Poly resort boat are all good / viable options in my opinion.

The temporary MK bus seems to be very efficient, in my experience.

thanks! I imagine the hardwood floors are never part of these “soft goods” refurbs. But the hardwood floors needed replaced really badly. You can see the massive scratches in some of these pictures. Oh well. The new carpets and chairs do look nice.

I can’t recall exactly, but I think it was #4 or #5 that we stayed in last year. I was also surprised with some rather large scratches on the floor, especially around the big table and appliances. It was either the fridge or dishwasher I think (I can’t remember exactly), but there was a large gash that looked like it might have been caused when installed or repaired. I recall being a little surprised they’d let that go - but also not much could be done, I guess - without a more substantial repair.

Glad the living room furniture is being replaced - that was the other part that seemed heading towards end of its useful life, IMO.

Sorry if this has been answered, but has the disabled access rooms been updated to the new theme also? I only want to stay there if it’s been done. I guess they would’ve been right?
thanks

I can’t recall exactly, but I think it was #4 or #5 that we stayed in last year. I was also surprised with some rather large scratches on the floor, especially around the big table and appliances. It was either the fridge or dishwasher I think (I can’t remember exactly), but there was a large gash that looked like it might have been caused when installed or repaired. I recall being a little surprised they’d let that go - but also not much could be done, I guess - without a more substantial repair.

Glad the living room furniture is being replaced - that was the other part that seemed heading towards end of its useful life, IMO.

Our last stay was in #5 and, yeah, the hardwood floors were in rough shape (along with the dining room table). The rest of the bungalow was in good shape. But the floors seem to be an issue in most of the bungalows -- every one we have stayed in has had major gashes/scratches in the floors. I suppose it would take a major DVC-side refurb to get them replaced. Hopefully they use something more robust next time.

Last edited:
They do on things like July 4 and NYE. As I understand it, Poly guests are given special wristbands and the beach is made only accessible through certain openings where CMs check for wrist bands.

Does anyone know if they're doing this or can we watch the fireworks from the beach? Thanks!

Sorry if this has been answered, but has the disabled access rooms been updated to the new theme also? I only want to stay there if it’s been done. I guess they would’ve been right?
thanks
They are renovating/have renovated all of the hotel side rooms, so if it's on the hotel side it has been done or will be done shortly. They are not leaving disabled access rooms untouched, trust me.

How are the lines at Trader Sam’s? I’m taking a sabbatical from social media so I don’t have access to my usual Twitter follows. I know it was crazy on the first day but not sure if that’s subsided. Going in a week and want to get a handle on what to prepare for.

Any reports on crowds at bus lines, restaurants and pools? We’ll be there in a few days, curious how busy it’s been with the hotel side open!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter