• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Show Format

dd316

Mouseketeer
I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the new freestyle loose chat format. I definitely prefer the structured shows with segments.

What's everyone else think about the change?

I'm more in favor of the free-form format personally. We typically know the news before the Tuesday anyway with social media so I prefer getting their opinion on a few news stories or what they're seeing in the parks.

Prefer the new format. As others have so eloquently explained, seems more natural/less formulaic, and I like folks feel more free to discuss what more interests them.

I like it; Watching the team struggle to find something to talk about (That often was less than interesting) felt stiff.

I love this format. I felt like the old format was bogged down in news that wasn't always that newsy. I'm here for the discussion and personalities, not news items I can easily scan elsewhere.

I hate when a good discussion or tangent gets cut off.

Except why does a discussion have to get cut off? Having structure does not mean you avoid discussion. They should have a list of topics to cover with the most important at the start. Anything missed ends up somewhere else (including getting pushed to Thursday or Ryno's weekly review).

Have to say I haven't been paying as close of attention lately because the shows have been all over the place.

I would honestly suggest a structure like ESPN around the horn. Have the topics down the side of the screen, go around the room, and go from there. Difference is no timer and if you don't get through all the topics thats fine.

I love this format. I felt like the old format was bogged down in news that wasn't always that newsy. I'm here for the discussion and personalities, not news items I can easily scan elsewhere.

Except thats the thing this show and Thursday show are essentially the same thing with different topics now. What we need is the crossover show between Ryno's and this new format. Where its an outline of the news item then short discussion on it. Maybe they could get someone to tandem with Ryno to create the discussion like him and Craig used to do around universal.

Another option would be Ryno doing a live stream where its bringing up a new item, interacting with chat for a preset time, and then moving on.

Except why does a discussion have to get cut off? Having structure does not mean you avoid discussion.

But that's exactly what would happen. The host would interject, often in the middle of someone speaking to say okay, we have to move on now. It was usually Pete that did this. It was annoying, and I think even Pete recognized that trying to keep discussions from flowing off into tangents isn't what most people want, so he changed the format so they could discuss in a more unstructured way.

Besides, having a weekly news roundtable makes little sense at this point, given the speed of news spreading and being discussed online immediately. By the time they get around to it on a once weekly show, it's old. There is news being dropped every day, which is why they now have those shorter news shows hosted by Ryno.

What they are doing now is picking like one or 2 major things to talk about and just having a natural discussion.

Besides, having a weekly news roundtable makes little sense at this point, given the speed of news spreading and being discussed online immediately.

Then we might as well remove the weekly show with the speed of volume of Youtube channels out there....

But that's exactly what would happen.

Except it doesn't is my point. Just because it did does not mean you have to in to a completely unscripted and seemingly unplanned show. There is a middle ground.

They can do what they want but I reject your premise that its one extreme or the other.

I mostly prefer the new format. I don't like watching the news for anything when it's much faster to read it as it's happening. My favorite segments are the hypothetical questions which lead to discussions.

I think the new format is fine. Not a huge change to me. So much of the show depends on who is on that day. Some combinations of people don't work as well, some just shine.

Have to say I haven't been paying as close of attention lately because the shows have been all over the place.
This is where I am with it. I rarely get to watch live (working) so I listen to the podcast later. Since the format change I've found myself reaching the end of a show and realizing I hadn't paid attention to anything. Even the Off The Rails shows feel more structured as they generally revolve around a single topic.

Definitely strongly prefer the new unstructured format. We already know the news since the team reports it on this website as soon as it's available. What I watch for is the team's opinions, thoughts, guesses, etc.

I guess they could add some more structure without reverting to reading the news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter