New Restrictions Announced on Resales: Effective Jan 19

can someone explain the following to me with these new restrictions:

I have 280 resale point at AKL from back before 2014. So I the first set of restrictions. No cruises and such.

If I buy another resale contract in the future for say AKL so I have a larger pool of points, those new points have the new restrictions on them, meaning I can't use those points to book at riviara stay if i needed to use points from the new contract correct. so example the room is 290 points for the nights i need. i can only use the 280 points from the old contract correct? i can't use the new point pool correct is purchased after this new date?

i never really knew how a new set of resale points would work.

but if I want to use those new pool of points at AKL or the other original places I can?

thanks,
jimi

can someone explain the following to me with these new restrictions:

I have 280 resale point at AKL from back before 2014. So I the first set of restrictions. No cruises and such.

If I buy another resale contract in the future for say AKL so I have a larger pool of points, those new points have the new restrictions on them, meaning I can't use those points to book at riviara stay if i needed to use points from the new contract correct. so example the room is 290 points for the nights i need. i can only use the 280 points from the old contract correct? i can't use the new point pool correct is purchased after this new date?

i never really knew how a new set of resale points would work.

but if I want to use those new pool of points at AKL or the other original places I can?

thanks,
jimi
You are correct. The interesting thing is the restriction on Rivera and presumably th other new resorts - buy direct and you have all the options but if you decide to sell, your buyer is limited to Rivera only (as currently interpreted in the article).

Craaaaazy!

Oh well I’ve given up any resale purchases at this point anyways. I spend too much on Disney already lol

From my understanding I think this will hurt Riviera resale a lot which may in turn hurt the original direct sales as well. Knowing that Riviera will only be able to be booked at Riviera in resale will certainly keep its resale value lower and thus cause some people to balk at purchasing there.

Do you think that will put a damper on direct Rivera purchase knowing they cant be used anywhere else?

I have a question too. We just bought back in Dec of 2017 I was wondering if this effects us in anyway. From what I am understanding since we bought before Jan 19th we will be grandfathered in and we can use our pts anywhere including the new resorts am I correct? Also, if I were to buy resale again that can only be used at that resort? If I were to buy direct can i use pts anywhere just a little confused here. This is all new to me since we just bought in technically

so pretty much buy resale points for any other resort (14) u can stay at those.

buy resale points for rivera or any new going forward place and only be able to stay at just that 1 resort (the one you bought resale points for).

i say next year they add that any resale contract for where u are buying is for that resort only. so if u buy at beach club u are only staying there.

From my understanding I think this will hurt Riviera resale a lot which may in turn hurt the original direct sales as well. Knowing that Riviera will only be able to be booked at Riviera in resale will certainly keep its resale value lower and thus cause some people to balk at purchasing there.
I just replied and I was thinking the samething. If we are thinking that what do you think there point is with this play

Do you think that will put a damper on direct Rivera purchase knowing they cant be used anywhere else?

I have a question too. We just bought back in Dec of 2017 I was wondering if this effects us in anyway. From what I am understanding since we bought before Jan 19th we will be grandfathered in and we can use our pts anywhere including the new resorts am I correct? Also, if I were to buy resale again that can only be used at that resort? If I were to buy direct can i use pts anywhere just a little confused here. This is all new to me since we just bought in technically

My understanding of what I have read is that buying Riviera (and any future resorts) direct will keep all resorts open to you for booking. Any currently purchased resale can book anywhere. Any future purchased resale (outside of Riviera) will still be able to book into the existing resorts but not the new ones. Resale Riviera will be limited to only Riviera.

i just asked the same thing above. u are grandfathered in for any resort and new ones going forward for those points. new resale contract will be only for original 14 places if the points purchased are for one of those resorts. if u buy rivera resale u are only staying there. none of the original 14 places.

so if u ADD points u should be buying any of the original 14 to have access to those and nothing new going forward. if u buy rivera u are staying there only.

My understanding of what I have read is that buying Riviera (and any future resorts) direct will keep all resorts open to you for booking. Any currently purchased resale can book anywhere. Any future purchased resale (outside of Riviera) will still be able to book into the existing resorts but not the new ones. Resale Riviera will be limited to only Riviera.

sorry was typing like u at the same time. wasn't trying to repeat what u were saying.

I think the impact on Riviera direct sales may not be all that much. Two reasons:

1. I think a lot of first-time DVC buyers don't really understand all the intricacies of DVC and will just listen to the Guides (who will surely omit resale reference to prospective buyers)
2. Even if someone has a vague idea about the resale market, they may not have any plans to sell in the future and think that this issue won't affect them. I don't have any data, but don't you think that most people buy DVC with the intent to hang on to it until expiration?

What will be impacted are those current DVC owners who were considering a Riviera add-on contract. Knowing that if that contract gets sold and the new owners would only be able to book at Riviera would have to dramatically impact the resale market for that contract. Again, I don't know what percentage of sales at a new resort come from existing DVC owners, but this could have impact on that segment.

I think the impact on Riviera direct sales may not be all that much. Two reasons:

1. I think a lot of first-time DVC buyers don't really understand all the intricacies of DVC and will just listen to the Guides (who will surely omit resale reference to prospective buyers)
2. Even if someone has a vague idea about the resale market, they may not have any plans to sell in the future and think that this issue won't affect them. I don't have any data, but don't you think that most people buy DVC with the intent to hang on to it until expiration?

What will be impacted are those current DVC owners who were considering a Riviera add-on contract. Knowing that if that contract gets sold and the new owners would only be able to book at Riviera would have to dramatically impact the resale market for that contract. Again, I don't know what percentage of sales at a new resort come from existing DVC owners, but this could have impact on that segment.

I think that a lot of DVC buyers are repeat buyers...of course I don't have the stats either so we're just guessing. I also think that most people don't expect to keep their contracts for 50 years but could be wrong there as well lol. Whenever I see discussions about the best value to buy one of the topics is the retained resale value in the future so I think there is a segment that will take that into consideration.

i'm really glad we pretty much only stay at our home base since we bought. we have only stayed outside our home base 1 time and this summer trip will be the 2nd time. both stays were and are for beach club for the sole purpose of the pool being summer trips. in general we r very happy at our home base for each trip.

Yuck. I want no part of this new system. I guess people who might buy other timeshares & understand the limitations surrounding resale value might be tempted, but I bought DVC b/c it wasn’t supposed to be like other timeshares.

So many uninformed buyers are going to get hurt if they overextend & they get hit by an economic downturn.

An owner who can’t trade out equals another owner who can’t trade in because the points aren’t being exchanged to make that happen.

BCV is midlife resort, more or less halfway through its 50 yr term. What percentage of owners would you expect are resale owners? I read somewhere that the average owner of DVC owns for 9 years.

BCV hasn’t sold new in going on 3x that long. (I don’t mean a few thousand points a month that are statistical roundings.)

So. 60% resale owners would be a conservative estimate?

Under this rule change, if 60% of owners are resale owners at Riviera in 25 years, than only 40% of owners could trade out, opening space for trades into the resort. 60% of the resort would be “landlocked” by owners with no mobility.

Trades work both ways.

Ultimately, there is harm here for everyone, not just resale buyers.

I hope this isn’t true because if so, it’s extremely short-sighted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!