New policy for reservations based on check IN date

Status
Not open for further replies.
we want xmas day to jan 13th next year(HC room) same as we have booked DBD for this year,(and the last 4 years) are you trying to tell me under the old sytem we never needed to book DBD when DVC MS told us to do this years ago,

I cant believe you have ever tried to book at peek times so really you have no idea of the problems getting the room you want

I would call Spring Break/Easter week a peak time, but I guess if it isn't Christmas week it's not peak enough time for you.

But you ONLY talk about the selfish motive, and pigeonhole THAT as the overwhelming viewpoint.

That's just not the case. I've seen far more postings indicating they flat out just don't think it's fair....not that they are upset they might not get what they want. It almost seems like you stick to it because it's an easier way to discount the alternate viewpoint because you can't understand it.....I'm not saying that's exactly what's going on, but I'd bet it's a common perception of those opposite you in the discussion.

Again, it just seems you don't "get" the alternate viewpoint...which, again, is fine. It's a valid disconnect. But when you try to "explain" the alternative, you return...time and again...only to the one position...and it's not an accurate depiction of MANY of the posts I've seen in this thread.
No, you misunderstand. I have only mentioned the selfish motive in a few posts. But I'd venture that a significant portion that post saying the new system is unfair are mainly motive driven as well, not all, but a significant portion. That doesn't necessarily make them wrong, or others right though. As I noted, I do get the other viewpoint, I just disagree with those that think the old system was fair and the new one is not. Both are fair to a degree and both unfair to a degree to a certain subset but it does depend on your definition of fair doesn't it and even that we can't agree on from each viewpoint.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post, however the above is where I disagree.

I don't see how a Member with less than a weekends worth of points has the same opportunity to walk.
I know that's not overly common, but I'm thinking of the 50 point add on at AKV so the Member can do a Sunrise Safari. They can't walk simply because they have too few points. :smokin:

MG

Agree, the more points one has at one resort the easier it will be for them to walk right through the weekends. Many people did not buy enough for weekend stays or bought small add-ons for short stays. Just look at the resales on the market. Many are 150-200 as well as the small add-ons (25-100).

It is also important to note that many members may have a week's worth of points but it may be split between multiple resorts hence decreasing their walking ability. One has to book two separate reservations with two separate check-in dates. You can't book check-in +7 like you can with contract(s) at one resort. With DBD you also had to do this but at least you knew inventory would likely be available if you called right at the 11 month window for your second check-in date. Yet again another disadvantage for one member versus another.

The more I read, the more I can't even believe this new policy and what it may come down to to get a reservation for peak vacation periods and what people are talking about doing. In this thread, people have talked about selling all together, people have talked about selling one contract and buying more at their remaining resort so they can walk and/or book check-in +7, people have said that they will no longer buy add-ons at new resorts, people have said they will no longer recommend DVC to others, people have said that they will "walk" for possibly weeks and months to get prime reservations, people have considered renting out their points and then paying cash in order to get a prime reservation, people have referenced that speculative renters now have it made, etc. etc.

I am very disappointed that it has come down to this. I do understand that people have to do what they have to do. My husband and I are trying to figure it out right now for ourselves as the new system will likely cause us difficulty for the times we have to travel. We're not sure what the answer is but we do know one thing giving Disney more money isn't one of them. We already bought the points that we needed to meet our vacation wants and needs but unfortunately that may have all changed now.

This is certainly not what my husband and I anticipated when we purchased that non-traditional, flexible timeshare called Disney Vacation Club not just once but twice. What in the world were we thinking?

maminnie

And there in lies the problem....people doing things that they don't necessarily need to do, causing problems for everyone else. :rolleyes:

And hence why DBD was better and less instrusive.

So, are members to wait until they have an issue booking their reservation (ie: it's too late) before doing everything they can, or should they do everything they can from the get go? I think if they absolutely need to book during a certain period, they should do everything they can.

It's like saying, "Well, you shouldn't need to call at 11 months, so don't bother because you don't need to ... until you do, then next time, call at 11 months".

Not really because with that system we had people calling DBD who didn't need to either. Both cause problems within the system. Just because you spent TONS of money on DVC doesn't mean you should deliberately screw everyone else out of their vacation, either by walking or booking DBD when it isn't needed.

How did DBD cause problems in the system? And I'm not talking about call volume, that's tied to the 12%.

Walking, I understand, as it ties up rooms with no intention of keeping them, but DBD? DBD was only booking what you wanted, when you wanted it.

You didn't like DBD, and you apparently don't like the new policy either. So what would you see as an ideal solution? :confused3

true, yet you still find prime time holiday weeks up for bid on ebay...which i mentioned to MS & was told that they are aware and do their best to have the listings pulled. Makes me wonder how well they will do monitoring walking, will we all get 1 bye? X number per year? will there be a formula or is it subjective enforcement? Should be all or nothing.

Really, I can't even see how they can get the auctions pulled from eBay. :confused3

DBD was mentioned by MS as 'a problem' as it kept the MS phone lines overly busy (primary reason things were changed). Supposedly, members cannot get thru to make their ressies:confused3 . Personally, I don't think i've ever waited longer than a half hour & that was early afternoon on the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year.

I think this is just spin and nonsense on their part. Anyone that booked DBD knows that the first call takes just as long as a regular reservation, and the subsequent calls take just a few seconds. It takes longer to confirm you are who you say you are than it does to extend a DBD reservation. I'm sure MS spends more time with someone on the phone checking inventory prior to someone's 7 month window than they do with a DBD extension.

I mentioned that DBD at least gave all the same opportunity to call (regardless of how many points they had @ their disposal). She stated that they felt the ressie + 7 method would work better for the majority of the members:sad2:I responded it would certainly work better for those that hold a majority of points:rolleyes: .

Well, in a way, they are correct ... except that I don't think it works necessarily better. For non peak times, those same members could have called based on departure date and achieved the same exact thing.

I'm beginning to think that the rental periods need to be re-evaluated as to popularity/sell out & that holidays/F&W, etc. may need to be a sep category that fall under the restrictions, perhaps including a change fee TBD, say $50 a day?

Dunno ... spec renters are going to have a field day with the new policy though, it makes it way easier for them to lock up Christmas through New Years now. All they need to do is get that first day in December and they're locked in. I suspect just about everyone will be able to go to Disney in December for Christmas or NYE, they just won't be able to book through Member Services -- they'll have to book through eBay instead. :p

OT aside, Universal's onsite hotelier, Loews, recently revamped their reward program, vastly changing the gimmies to loyal guests...must be something in the water:upsidedow

Probably due to some secret survey they took ... :rotfl2:

Has anyone been denied a reservation yet due to the new system?

I'm only aware of one person that was directly (negatively) affected so far, but it led to another member getting their days.

But we're a very small subset/community, and this is still in its infancy as a policy, and very few people know about it, and we're not booking prime weeks just yet. Sooo ... :confused3

Yeah, I gotcha. The 11 month person will always get priority.....sorry.

The complexities of this sometimes make my head spin. I feel a bit like I'm back in Sophmore Geometry at times...

:)

I got stuck on this one too, and like you, eventually figured it out. :)

The more points one has at one resort the easier it will be for them to walk right through the weekends. Many people did not buy enough for weekend stays or bought small add-ons for short stays. Just look at the resales on the market. Many are 150-200 as well as the small add-ons (25-100).

We agree. I was esentially saying thye same thing.

This is certainly not what my husband and I anticipated when we purchased that non-traditional, flexible timeshare called Disney Vacation Club not just once but twice. What in the world were we thinking?

maminnie
The above quote is really worth repeating... and bolding!
Would you consider emailing this quote to the DVC Satisfaction Team? :smokin:

MG

While I think the new policy certainly has its problems, and I don't see any "easy fixes," other than returning to Day by Day for busy times, I will wait and with hold any final thoughts to see how this works out over the busy holiday booking period. If I have trouble getting a unit at OKW in early December, then I think it would indicate a serious problem, as I have never called day by day, and waited a couple days after my final check-out day to call.

Now, if I call on day 1, and it is booked, I would say walking a reservation is a much more serious problem than they anticipated. It really be interesting to see if it works out well, and most folks get their reservation, or if there are more than the normal percentage blocked out.

I still think the "old way" was the most fair...but if the vast majority have fewer problems getting their desired dates in the holiday period, or are able to get them with less calling, it will be a pleasant surprise.

And hence why DBD was better and less instrusive.

So, are members to wait until they have an issue booking their reservation (ie: it's too late) before doing everything they can, or should they do everything they can from the get go? I think if they absolutely need to book during a certain period, they should do everything they can.

It's like saying, "Well, you shouldn't need to call at 11 months, so don't bother because you don't need to ... until you do, then next time, call at 11 months".

How did DBD cause problems in the system? And I'm not talking about call volume, that's tied to the 12%.

Walking, I understand, as it ties up rooms with no intention of keeping them, but DBD? DBD was only booking what you wanted, when you wanted it.

You didn't like DBD, and you apparently don't like the new policy either. So what would you see as an ideal solution? :confused3

How did you book this? DBD? Or just based on your departure date?

That's exactly how I booked, all of my days based on departure date, and how I believe it should be, with no DBD or walking permitted. You either get it or you don't.

DBD caused problems for members who for lots of different reasons were not able to use it, but primarily not being aware of the ability to do so. Irregardless of what some people posting here think, it was not something that most members would think to do, nor was it well publicized by MS, with only some members being advised to use it to secure their ressies, giving them an advantage over those who were not "in the know."

Agree, the more points one has at one resort the easier it will be for them to walk right through the weekends. Many people did not buy enough for weekend stays or bought small add-ons for short stays. Just look at the resales on the market. Many are 150-200 as well as the small add-ons (25-100).

It is also important to note that many members may have a week's worth of points but it may be split between multiple resorts hence decreasing their walking ability. One has to book two separate reservations with two separate check-in dates. You can't book check-in +7 like you can with contract(s) at one resort. With DBD you also had to do this but at least you knew inventory would likely be available if you called right at the 11 month window for your second check-in date. Yet again another disadvantage for one member versus another.

The more I read, the more I can't even believe this new policy and what it may come down to to get a reservation for peak vacation periods and what people are talking about doing. In this thread, people have talked about selling all together, people have talked about selling one contract and buying more at their remaining resort so they can walk and/or book check-in +7, people have said that they will no longer buy add-ons at new resorts, people have said they will no longer recommend DVC to others, people have said that they will "walk" for possibly weeks and months to get prime reservations, people have considered renting out their points and then paying cash in order to get a prime reservation, people have referenced that speculative renters now have it made, etc. etc.

I am very disappointed that it has come down to this. I do understand that people have to do what they have to do. My husband and I are trying to figure it out right now for ourselves as the new system will likely cause us difficulty for the times we have to travel. We're not sure what the answer is but we do know one thing giving Disney more money isn't one of them. We already bought the points that we needed to meet our vacation wants and needs but unfortunately that may have all changed now.

maminnie

Sadly, thats a great summary. :thumbsup2 I mean.....:sad2:

That's exactly how I booked, all of my days based on departure date, and how I believe it should be, with no DBD or walking permitted. You either get it or you don't.

And you never had a problem booking Easter Week right at 11 months based on Departure Date? Did you book right at 11 months? Or more inside your window? What room type/resort did you book at? :confused3

And, if you never had an issue, this is likely why the CM never told you to book DBD. Only when one tried to book and was unable to get their dates did the CM typically advise a DBD solution. It sounds like Walking and the New Policy is going to be worse for you than DBD ever was. :confused3

DBD caused problems for members who for lots of different reasons were not able to use it, but primarily not being aware of the ability to do so. Irregardless of what some people posting here think, it was not something that most members would think to do, nor was it well publicized by MS, with only some members being advised to use it to secure their ressies, giving them an advantage over those who were not "in the know."

How did DBD cause problems? You just said you were able to book the peak Easter period based on Departure, so it wouldn't have caused an issue for you.

Besides, DBD gave an advantage of a few hours for those who did not want to call first thing in the morning, the new policy gives an advantage of more than 7 days. Clearly, that makes DBD less intrusive, if it was intrusive at all.

Has anyone been denied a reservation yet due to the new system?

May be a little late with this but.....

I have a Sunday - Friday stay for President's Week in February 2009 at SSR
Sunday is February 15, which means that the 7th month window started for me today.
I called Member Services at exactly 9:00AM this morning to try to change to Beach Club or Boardwalk.

Nothing at Boardwalk, however Monday through Friday was available at the Beach Club.
They were unable to book the four days at the Beach Club because I was one day shy of the 7 month window, even though I would be wait-listed for one night.

Now I need to call tomorrow to see if the four nights are still available.
Not sure if this anyone anticipated this scenario, but right now many people, including those who work at Member Services are still working through this change

The Prophet

And you never had a problem booking Easter Week right at 11 months based on Departure Date? Did you book right at 11 months? Or more inside your window? What room type/resort did you book at? :confused3

These are the questions I was going to ask the poster as they are probably the most relevant of all.

But you ONLY talk about the selfish motive, and pigeonhole THAT as the overwhelming viewpoint.

That's just not the case. I've seen far more postings indicating they flat out just don't think it's fair....not that they are upset they might not get what they want. It almost seems like you stick to it because it's an easier way to discount the alternate viewpoint because you can't understand it.....I'm not saying that's exactly what's going on, but I'd bet it's a common perception of those opposite you in the discussion.

Again, it just seems you don't "get" the alternate viewpoint...which, again, is fine. It's a valid disconnect. But when you try to "explain" the alternative, you return...time and again...only to the one position...and it's not an accurate depiction of MANY of the posts I've seen in this thread.

I completely agree.

I would call Spring Break/Easter week a peak time, but I guess if it isn't Christmas week it's not peak enough time for you.

you never really answered the question though did you

if thats the time i bought our points for thats the only time i'm interested in, but you seem to be telling me how we should have booked our previous vacations contradicting to what DVC MS advised us to do, i'm sorry but I put my faith in getting my vacation more in DVC MS than i ever would listening to you telling me if or when its not needed to book DBD.

No, you misunderstand. I have only mentioned the selfish motive in a few posts. But I'd venture that a significant portion that post saying the new system is unfair are mainly motive driven as well, not all, but a significant portion. That doesn't necessarily make them wrong, or others right though. As I noted, I do get the other viewpoint, I just disagree with those that think the old system was fair and the new one is not. Both are fair to a degree and both unfair to a degree to a certain subset but it does depend on your definition of fair doesn't it and even that we can't agree on from each viewpoint.

But by "venturing", Dean, you're speaking for other's people's motives...which you can't possibly really know. The fact that's your thought process shows you don't really understand the alternate POV. Not really. So again, just by pigeonholing, you're diplaying a lack of understanding of those with the alternate POV. By "venturing"...it looks like you're just trying to find an easy way to "discredit" the opposing POV. I don't necessarily think that's your goal, here....I'll give you more credit than that...but again: I'll bet there are a lot of those with the opposing viewpoint who feel like that's what you're doing and, quite frankly, I'll bet they're a bit offended. Again, probably not your intent.

You SAY you get it. But every time you explain it.....you show you don't. It's just a disconnect....we're just belaboring it.

In any event, I think we've gone off on THAT tangent long enough. Suffice to say, any discussion with you on the subject is going to get down to the fundamental disconnect that I think all those with an alternate viewpoint have identified. I think that's good, actually. But not likely something either POV is going to overcome....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter