New "Membership Options" (formerly AP) Discussion Thread

From the OC Register: https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/22/what-will-replace-disneylands-annual-pass-program/

The sudden death of Disneyland’s annual pass program left die-hard passholders reeling from the shock and wondering what will replace the four decade-old AP program.
Disneyland resort President Ken Potrock said during an interview with reporters that the Anaheim theme park will be seeking feedback from passholders on factors such as price, frequency, spontaneity and the time of day, week and year they’d like to use the new replacement program.
Potrock spoke in broad terms about a “membership offering” that would replace Disneyland’s AP program and provided some clues about what that could look like.
Disneyland and other California theme parks are unlikely to return to full operation until spring or summer under COVID-19 health and safety reopening guidelines issued by the state.
Disneyland’s new membership program — which is already in development — will deliver choice, flexibility and value, according to Potrock. The goal: Spread out attendance at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure while satisfying the largest number of people.
“We’re going to use this time as an opportunity to develop new offerings and a new way to think about the business given the situation we find ourselves in,” Potrock said.
Past and potential passholders will be surveyed about what Disneyland’s new membership program should look like.
“We’re trying to understand: What do people want in this new world?,” Potrock said. “When do they want to access our parks? How frequently do they want to access our parks? With what level of spontaneity? With what level of value? All of those kinds of things and many more.”
Only two things are certain: The old AP program is dead and not coming back. And a new membership program based on passholder feedback will replace it.
“There’s nothing off the table as we begin to think about things that are important for people,” Potrock said. “Whether it’s the number of times that they visit on a product offering. Whether it’s when. Is it midweek or weekend? Is it morning or afternoon? Is it day-part oriented? It’s all of those kinds of things that we’re incredibly curious to hear back from the guests about.”
Disneyland’s new membership program promises to offer a hybrid of what passholders enjoyed about the old AP program with a new slate of experiences and features.
“This is not designed to limit choice and flexibility. It’s designed to enhance choice and flexibility,” Potrock said. “People may say, ‘Here’s how I’ve always used it.’ People may say, ‘Here’s what I bought, but I didn’t quite use it and optimize it.’ People may say, ‘I have a different family structure or my financial situation is different. I would love to do it a little bit differently than I’ve done in the past.’ What we’re hoping to be able to provide is the choice and flexibility for all of those different evolving states.”
Dennis Speigel, an industry expert with International Theme Park Services, expects Disneyland’s new membership program will mirror the park’s five-tiered dynamic pricing model for daily tickets.
“When you boil it down, people who come to parks can pretty much be put in two categories: Time-sensitive and price-sensitive,” Speigel said during a phone interview.
Time-sensitive passholders will pay top dollar to visit Disneyland any time they want while price sensitive APs will be hunting for bargains, according to Speigel.
Martin Lewison, a theme park expert at Farmingdale State College in New York, expects restrictions and reservations will be integral elements of Disneyland’s new membership program.
“I would expect to see more restrictions on lower-priced passes and extremely high prices for passes with no restrictions,” Lewison said via email. “I think reservations for visits will become more common for all types of tickets. Disney may find other ways to reward its most loyal fans — like exclusive merch, dining and events.”

“This is not designed to limit choice and flexibility. It’s designed to enhance choice and flexibility,”
This sounds like a pretty disingenuous statement. I don’t want to gripe too much before they announce the new program, but with Sig+ you can get access every day of the year without reservations, with parking and MaxPass. Anything other than that will limit choice and flexibility for previous Sig+ pass holders.

I do find it interesting that time-of-day was mentioned as a potential factor. Wonder if we’ll see the return of something like twilight tickets or an option that admits you to the park only before or after a certain time of day.

This sounds like a pretty disingenuous statement. I don’t want to gripe too much before they announce the new program, but with Sig+ you can get access every day of the year without reservations, with parking and MaxPass. Anything other than that will limit choice and flexibility for previous Sig+ pass holders.
As a former Signature Plus passholder I feel exactly the same. I just posted something along the same lines on the other thread that has the screenshots of all the options that were presented to that particular person. None of the options seemed to overlap with the Signature Plus, which would be very disappointing.

Agreed about Sig+. Of all the passes, it is the one that will lose the most choice and flexibility based on the survey options being shared. Even if it were the exact same pass in terms of perks, but with reservations, it still would lose choice and flexibility that Potrock is claiming will be enhanced.

As a former Signature Plus passholder I feel exactly the same. I just posted something along the same lines on the other thread that has the screenshots of all the options that were presented to that particular person. None of the options seemed to overlap with the Signature Plus, which would be very disappointing.
What other thread? Was there a survey going around from Disney about this? I am also a Sig+ AP holder. For me, flexibility to come on short notice and to come on high interest days is really important. I need that option.

I do find it interesting that time-of-day was mentioned as a potential factor. Wonder if we’ll see the return of something like twilight tickets or an option that admits you to the park only before or after a certain time of day.

I think they'd be smart to offer an after 4pm ticket to locals within a set radius, or within certain zip codes. This might serve to alleviate daytime crowds but boost revenue from people who come around dinner time.

What other thread? Was there a survey going around from Disney about this? I am also a Sig+ AP holder. For me, flexibility to come on short notice and to come on high interest days is really important. I need that option.

It's on the main DLR page for the forum, not the community board like this one is:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...nual-pass-program-has-been-cancelled.3823116/
Discussion of the survey is on the last few pages of that thread along with some screenshots.

I would suggest you examine the Pass system used by Sea World and Busch Gardens which has many of the features outlined here.

Membership

Like WDW they currently require you to make reservations for each day you want to visit. They have different buckets of daily reservations for different types of visitors and Pass holders have their own.

The surveys seem to focus on how early you can make reservations, but I’m really curious how late you’ll be able to make a reservation.

Assuming that capacity is available: will we be able to make same-day reservations? Will we be able to stand in the esplanade in the evening, make a reservation, and immediately walk into the park?

Or is this going to be a situation where all reservations have to be made by a certain time, like 24 (or 48?) hours in advance or by 6 PM the previous evening, similar to how some dining reservations have worked.

If there is no option for same day or “immediate” reservations, that’s gonna hurt the spur of the moment crowd.

That’s how the flex pass works. I can’t see why these wouldn’t work the same way.
I hope so, but I don’t want to assume anything. Especially since they’ve billed this as cancelling the AP program and starting a new membership program. And there’s been mention of time-based entry. It seems like anything is possible.

I'd be surprised if they brought back any pass type soon after the parks open. My hunch is that they'll keep it straight day tickets for a while, possibly even a year, then maybe start to implement reservation-type passes.

When, or if, they do bring back a pass I don't think it'll be by the year. I think it'll be by the period (every 60-days, 90-days, etc). But every pass will probably not be the almost free-for-all as the legacies once were.

As for when passes would be available Ken Potrock apparently said it depends on when the parks can reopen, he said if it were in the next 4 weeks the program wouldn't be ready but if it were 6 to 8 weeks it could be.....so who knows?

As for when passes would be available Ken Potrock apparently said it depends on when the parks can reopen, he said if it were in the next 4 weeks the program wouldn't be ready but if it were 6 to 8 weeks it could be.....so who knows?
If that’s true then they really just used Covid as an excuse to dump the legacy program. Which, is fine, it’s their right, but then they should have done it earlier instead of stringing us along for a year, having me go on hold to extend my pass, and all the other crap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter