New Jersey DVC Members Group

What part of NJ are you from?

• Total voters
Possibly around 1:30/2:00. ...Or if I can shuffle some things around, maybe around 8am in the morning. But right now aiming for afternoon.

So basically you already know you're nuts, you're just looking for confirmation? :-) That is the worst possible day to travel.

Do you drive straight through or stop for the night? I'm figuring you stop since you're check in isn't until the 29th. Are you planning on traveling on Thanksgiving? If so I would just leave early Thursday morning, grab a place offsite for the night of the 28th and finish the drive early on the 29th for check-in. But that's just me.pooh:

So basically you already know you're nuts, you're just looking for confirmation? :-) That is the worst possible day to travel.

Do you drive straight through or stop for the night? I'm figuring you stop since you're check in isn't until the 29th. Are you planning on traveling on Thanksgiving? If so I would just leave early Thursday morning, grab a place offsite for the night of the 28th and finish the drive early on the 29th for check-in. But that's just me.pooh:

Wellllll.... 😂 🤪 Disney does this to us!! Quick backstory, we have always done a full two weeks, this particular time, every year. We would leave on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so we never had to worry about all this. Then, when we bought DVC two years ago, we decided to shorten our holiday trip so we can do two full weeks in the summer instead. We really want be down for Thanksgiving dinner, especially since our friends will already be there, so that’s why we are thinking of leaving earlier instead of 2am Thanksgiving night. If we do the 2 AM Thanksgiving night, we will drive straight through. If we leave afternoon on Wednesday, we would obviously have to stop somewhere. I’m HOPING things fall into place and we can leave first thing in the morning on Wednesday. Probably still just as crazy, but might be better off than afternoon. I feel like as long as I’m sitting in traffic, knowing I am heading south, I am OK with it 😂 We always come in earlier than our Disney reservation (book an offsite room) for the night or two before. Just like to be down there!!

Wellllll.... 😂 🤪 Disney does this to us!! Quick backstory, we have always done a full two weeks, this particular time, every year. We would leave on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so we never had to worry about all this. Then, when we bought DVC two years ago, we decided to shorten our holiday trip so we can do two full weeks in the summer instead. We really want be down for Thanksgiving dinner, especially since our friends will already be there, so that’s why we are thinking of leaving earlier instead of 2am Thanksgiving night. If we do the 2 AM Thanksgiving night, we will drive straight through. If we leave afternoon on Wednesday, we would obviously have to stop somewhere. I’m HOPING things fall into place and we can leave first thing in the morning on Wednesday. Probably still just as crazy, but might be better off than afternoon. I feel like as long as I’m sitting in traffic, knowing I am heading south, I am OK with it 😂 We always come in earlier than our Disney reservation (book an offsite room) for the night or two before. Just like to be down there!!

Gotcha. :thumbsup2

It's a little easier for me being about 2 hours south of you, but I always leave early enough so I'm past DC by rush hour. I don't think you'll be able to avoid traffic any time of day on the 27th so just keep telling yourself your heading to your happy place. :-)

To get to 81 would you be doing the PA Turnpike? I would avoid that on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

That is a hike, how much time does that add to your trip?

😆

So, after talking to DH, we now may possibly get the car on Tuesday and then leave super early Wednesday morning (like 3-4am or so.) Just waiting for one more thing to fall in place, and it may be a possibility. Just to note, we do this to ourselves every single year! We know we’re going to add a day or two, I think we just like the drama of waiting till last minute to do so 😂 I just hope it works out because I would rather do it that way.

😆

So, after talking to DH, we now may possibly get the car on Tuesday and then leave super early Wednesday morning (like 3-4am or so.) Just waiting for one more thing to fall in place, and it may be a possibility. Just to note, we do this to ourselves every single year! We know we’re going to add a day or two, I think we just like the drama of waiting till last minute to do so 😂 I just hope it works out because I would rather do it that way.

Sounds like a plan, that will probably get you south of DC before things get too hectic. I guess I'm not the only one who rents a car for trips to Disney? I don't want all those miles on my car and like the peace of mind knowing help is a phone call away if something goes wrong. I don't think AAA is going to tow me back to Jersey for free. I don't do drama, I need everything nailed down at 11 months out.:rotfl2:

Sounds like a plan, that will probably get you south of DC before things get too hectic. I guess I'm not the only one who rents a car for trips to Disney? I don't want all those miles on my car and like the peace of mind knowing help is a phone call away if something goes wrong. I don't think AAA is going to tow me back to Jersey for free. I don't do drama, I need everything nailed down at 11 months out.:rotfl2:

Yes! We have been renting cars since we started going down to Disney in 2004! Definitely don’t want to beat up on our own cars!

And everything is usually planned and sorted out... we always plan one extra day to start the trip, but then last minute my DH ALWAYS gets the itch and adds another day!! (Don’t get me wrong, I’m along for the ride!!!) Then he suggests yesterday that I should look and see if Disney has any CL availability! Although I love love love the anxiety of trying to find something last minute, at the same time, I would rather just have known this ahead of time so I am guaranteed to be where I want to be! It’s only for one night so not really a big deal.

Last edited:
Yes! We have been renting cars since we started going down to Disney in 2004! Definitely don’t want to beat up on our own cars!

And everything is usually planned and sorted out... we always plan one extra day to start the trip, but then last minute my DH ALWAYS gets the itch and adds another day!! (Don’t get me wrong, I’m along for the ride!!!) Then he suggests yesterday that I should look and see if Disney has any CL availability! Although I love love love the anxiety of trying to find something last minute, at the same time, I would rather just have known this ahead of time so I am guaranteed to be where I want to be! It’s only for one night so not really a big deal.

Good luck in finding what you want, I hope your plans come together for you.:-)

Hi, we now drive down to WDW and leave in the 3-4am time frame, we are able to make it past Richmond by 8:30am, after that its smooth sailing. The difference is we leave on a Sat and not the day before Thanksgiving. Not sure how much traffic there will be on the roads that early even though it's through the week and a holiday. I wish you well on your drive down. Be safe.

I'm with Pooh12863, I like to have all my plans done well in advance. I don't like the stress of last minute planning. I guess I'm not very spontaneous when it comes to WDW. Good luck and have a wonderful time. pixiedust:

I'm with Pooh12863, I like to have all my plans done well in advance. I don't like the stress of last minute planning. I guess I'm not very spontaneous when it comes to WDW. Good luck and have a wonderful time. pixiedust:

Don’t get me wrong, I have ALL my ducks in a row... but there’s something exciting about throwing an extra day or two on at the last minute!! (For me at least!!) Yesterday I booked a hotel, added rental car days, added dinner reservations and FP’s. (these are just 2 additional days we are adding to our already booked trip.) I love that spontaneous rush planning!!!! Thanks!!!!!!

Hey guys! Thank you for all of your feedback. After reading all your posts and much consideration, we decided to leave Tuesday! I made all the arrangements and now all we have to do is pack. Thanks for talking us out of a crazy thought 😆

Happy for you that you have everything worked out. pooh:

Does this mean I have to stop referring to you as "that crazy lady up north?":rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter