New Housing on the horizon

HopperFan

"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."
Disney is moving forward with zoning to build 1300 units of "multi-family" housing in Flamingo Crossing for the cast members in the Disney College Intern Program.

This area is at the intersection of Western Way (road next to Coronado Springs) and SR 429. There are two new hotels there, a drug store and gas station in the works. Plan includes 150,000 sf commercial. Not far down SR 429 are lots of restaurants, businesses and nice grocery shopping.

This is close to CM Outlet Store.

Final approval hearing is in June.

I really wish they would do housing in California. It has been really hard trying to find accommodations.

This doesn't surprise me - ICP's take up a good chunk of housing in the housing developments already. Moving them to their own area frees up a lot of apartments for expansion of the domestic program.

This doesn't surprise me - ICP's take up a good chunk of housing in the housing developments already. Moving them to their own area frees up a lot of apartments for expansion of the domestic program.
I doubt they would re-segregate the International College Program and the US College Program... they just recently opened up the Commons to Americans. Logistically, I see it being way easier to not have separate housing.
Besides, the original message said "Disney College Intern Program", not International College Program.

:confused3

This would make sense to be true. Many DCP rooms are becoming triple occupancy. I got put on a wait list for DCP but hired on the spot for seasonal. My friend guessed part of it was lack of housing.

In spring 2000 when I did my college advanced internship they placed the advanced interns in regular apt complexes. I was in St. Andrews but others where in other normal apt complexes.

When my son did the CP during Spring 2011 he lived at Patterson, which were the newest apts at that time. I remember Vista Way as being very old, worn and dated then. Wondering if these new apts are to replace Vista or maybe completely renovate Vista and simply increase the amount of available housing? With all of the expansion going on we've got to assume more CP'ers will be hired in future. Back in 2011, I believe the number we were quoted at one point was over 5,000 per semester......and I believe that was only domestic CP......that's a lot of housing units to provide.

When my son did the CP during Spring 2011

They actually just renovated all of the Vista Way apartments before and during my program in 2014, so I don't think they would replace them if they just renovated.

I think they just need more housing. I know recently they have been suggesting off-site housing more and more because they are hiring to many CPs to fit the housing they have now.

But, this is also a very different area than where current CP housing is. I wonder if it would be directed more at Professional Intern housing, as currently Disney puts up most PIs in the apartments not owned by them behind MK. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

The housing situation is awful. I just did my ICP in 2015 and for the first five months I was in a 2-bedroom/6-person apartment. They are just stacking CP's on top of each other in there! In the middle of 2015 they brought a whole lot of CMs over from China to train them for the new resort in Shanghai. Because of this, a lot of CP's weren't able to extend their programs from Spring to Fall if they wanted to stay in Disney housing. Several of my friends only had their extensions approved once they confirmed they were planning to move to independent housing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter