New flooring in rooms - No carpets

I didn’t really care for it at FQ, seemed so hollow in the room. Might have been because it was a king room and had a lot of open floor space. Don’t fool yourself and think it’s cleaner. Try wetting a towel and run it across the floor with your foot. I spilled water and grabbed a towel to wipe it up, it was filthy. If they are actually going to clean it, it would be cleaner than carpet.
:thumbsup2::yes:: Yep. I made the same mistake. :scared:

The same dirt comes into the rooms no matter the flooring. The carpet just hides the dirt from your view a little more. but it's still there. I'd rather be able to see it and take care of it than to have it all in the carpet constantly becoming airborne with each vacuuming.

But yes, removing your shoes just inside the door would likely make a big difference. If you're not fond of walking barefoot (I can't, myself, so I get it.) you can bring a pair of flip-flops, slipper, Crocs, etc. to use as your "indoor shoes" while you are in the room....something that you don't wear outdoors at all. :)

I prefer the new flooring for the most part. The only issues I've had is they do get slippery when wet. I stayed in a room at Pop once and when it rained, the water practically poured into the room and that caused it to get slippery. Plus when spraying sunscreen in the room it leaves slippery residue on the floors (I learned quickly and sprayed outside after one time, but I imagine there are a lot of families that still spray inside their room). I never had an issue where my feet felt gross after walking on the new floors, but with carpets they usually did.
During my solo. stay at CSR last August I put two bath towels on the floor when I applied sunscreen.
No slippery spots.......:)
I'm thinking we'll take a couple of old beach towels this year.

I could hear almost every word of the people in the next room. I had a connecting room (not by choice) which may have been part of the issue.
Next time stuff a towel across the bottom of the connecting door. That takes care of 90% of that noise.

Think it sounds silly? Try it and you'll see (or "not hear", technically...:))

I so dislike the floors. While in some resorts, like CSR they look good, others don't (YC). But, my biggest gripe is that even if Mousekeeping sweeps them everyday, they are still "dirty". Also, I think there is a slight echo because of them. While I know that carpets can harbor more dust and germs than the floors, I still prefer them. I wear slippers or socks either way, but the carpets just seem more comfortable and look better in most cases. As long as the resorts keep up with the soft refurbs the carpets are so much better all around. But, I am sure the flooring is cheaper and easier to maintain, so that is why they went to them. Ugh. I also wish they would at least have kept the bedding strips on the beds. It was just a strip, not an entire bedspread, those were germ fests. But, the strips made the rooms look better. They look so generic and boring with just the white bedding.

I have wood floors in my home but I also have a lot of rugs. All this laminate looks cold and sterile to me. Easier to keep clean, though, so I can see why they are moving toward it. But I can't help but wish they'd just replaced the carpeting.
I thought I disliked all the patterned, polyester bedspreads back in the day, too - but now I miss them:rotfl:

I have the same, hardwood floors with rugs at home. I don't mind the laminate at the resorts but if it is not kept clean, what's the point?

But were the rooms quieter with carpeting?
I found our refurbished room as ASMo in Dec to be very loud. I could hear toilets flushing and people 24/7. We weren't in the room much thankfully but there was very little rest when we were in the room. That being said, I'd stay there again with very carefully worded room requests.

Stayed in a refurbished room at ASMo in January for 12 days. I have to say housekeeping was terrible. I don't think in the entire stay the floors were even dry moped as the dust bunnies ran wild.:laughing: I never go barefoot in any hotel room the thought just grosses me out. I also thought that carpeting lowered the noise level. I could hear almost every word of the people in the next room. I had a connecting room (not by choice) which may have been part of the issue.

We did not have a connecting room and had similar noise issues. I always bring slippers or flip flops to wear (and do the same at home, IMO wearing shoes indoors is kind of gross) but forgot to dig them out before I took off my sneakers. The feel of the floors was gross. I'm all for ease of cleanup but for real they need to do a better job of cleaning them.

I love the hard floors, carpet grosses me out. You never know what's hiding in there. We had a ground floor room at Pop in December and had no issues with noise aside from the mini fridge being oddly loud. I walked around in bare feet all the time in the room and didn't notice filth.

I've stayed in OKW a few times where it's had laminate (or wood?) flooring for years, hard to go back to a carpeted hotel room where your socks get so filthy.

During my solo. stay at CSR last August I put two bath towels on the floor when I applied sunscreen.
No slippery spots.......:)
I'm thinking we'll take a couple of old beach towels this year.
It also works to stand inside the tub and spray. Just be sure everyone is getting sprayed at the drain end, but stepping in and out at the other end!

For those of you thinking that the laminate floors in the rooms at Disney are cleaner than the carpet think again.

Disney is only dry "swiffering" the floors, and they are doing a very poor job when they do that. The laminate floors are extremely dirty, in some spots sticky, especially in the bathroom area where hairspray is applied and the floors are sticky where food and beverage have been spilled.

Disney is not keeping the laminate flooring clean at all. Prepare to be thoroughly disgusted... and bring slippers.

~NM

Am I the only one that doesn't care for this? We stayed at CSR last year and had a refurb room. Loved the look, but honestly, hated having the hard flooring rather than carpet. Looks dirty quicker, dust floats around, and not nearly as nice on bare feet in the middle of the night, lol. I realize it probably holds up better and is easier to maintain and repair, but we definitely prefer the carpets.
I hate it, too.

The same dirt comes into the rooms no matter the flooring. The carpet just hides the dirt from your view a little more. but it's still there. I'd rather be able to see it and take care of it than to have it all in the carpet constantly becoming airborne with each vacuuming.

But yes, removing your shoes just inside the door would likely make a big difference. If you're not fond of walking barefoot (I can't, myself, so I get it.) you can bring a pair of flip-flops, slipper, Crocs, etc. to use as your "indoor shoes" while you are in the room....something that you don't wear outdoors at all. :)
Sorry, I'm not washing a floor on my vacation. If you choose to do so, good for you, but I refuse to do a job that should already be taken care of...that's why I GO on VACATION, to get away from the daily drudgery of chores.

I so dislike the floors. While in some resorts, like CSR they look good, others don't (YC). But, my biggest gripe is that even if Mousekeeping sweeps them everyday, they are still "dirty". Also, I think there is a slight echo because of them. While I know that carpets can harbor more dust and germs than the floors, I still prefer them. I wear slippers or socks either way, but the carpets just seem more comfortable and look better in most cases. As long as the resorts keep up with the soft refurbs the carpets are so much better all around. But, I am sure the flooring is cheaper and easier to maintain, so that is why they went to them. Ugh. I also wish they would at least have kept the bedding strips on the beds. It was just a strip, not an entire bedspread, those were germ fests. But, the strips made the rooms look better. They look so generic and boring with just the white bedding.
Getting rid of all the soft goods in the room makes them louder and echo, since there is nothing to absorb the sound.

Sorry, I'm not washing a floor on my vacation. If you choose to do so, good for you, but I refuse to do a job that should already be taken care of...that's why I GO on VACATION, to get away from the daily drudgery of chores.

If I spill something then I take care of it myself. But if I check in and the floor is sticky/dirty, I will call them to have it taken care of, just like any other issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter