• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Edge on the Wonder

sdchickie

Fan of the Mouse!
We just came off the Wonder on the NYE cruise and since there wasn't much info on the Edge I thought I'd let you know what we thought of it. They had planned activities as well as down time. The activities were listed in the Navagators just like the Club and Lab activities. There were a few times when familys were allowed in there too. There were councelors that were in there, but the kids could come and go as they pleased, so if your child wanted to go roam the ship they would not be accounted for. (This is where the new phones provided by Disney were extreemly helpful.) My daughter had a wonderful time in the Edge and didn't want to leave at the end of the day. She loved the councelors and had fun doing the activities that were offered. If anyone has any questions about the Edge just ask. Here are some pictures....
IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

Also, our room was just down the hall from the Edge and we didn't hear any noise or have any problems with our magnets/FE's missing.

Thank you so much for the pictures. I was wondering what activities were posted. I think this is great for the tweens! It looks like fun!

Thank you so much!

Do you happen to have navigators that you could post? Or if not can you can give me a few examples of activities that the Edge did?

Did they have Wii's in there? - answered my own question, I can see it in the picture...

Thanks again for posting, this is such a relief to know my 13 and 12 yr old will have a place of their own!!

They didn't put in the wall of TVs for them to play xbox and play stations? This is on the Magic. It is funny to go and see a bench long sitting spot and a whole wall of TV for them to play video games.

Love the bean bag chairs though and the big movie screen.

During our last cruise, we were there for a conference so were in that room for 3-4 hrs/day. It was two rooms divided by an accordian divider. Looking at these photos, as well as the photos in the other thread, it looks like they just did some light modifications to the existing conference room. My guess is that they will spruce it up more after the next dry dock.

They did say that this is a quick fix until the next drydock. Some of the activities included....
Craft Corner, Ship Factor, Gender Wars, Xbox Challenge, Pajama Party, Improv Games, Picture This, Marshmellow Olympics, Xbox Dance Central, Wii Bowling Challenge, Animation Cells, Speed Stack Challenge, Mosaic Crafts, Digital Postcards, Spoons, Karaoke, Pirate crafts for pirate night, Ratatouille Cooking School, DCL Trivia, Ice cream Sundaes, Guitar Hero Challenge, T-shirt Making, Bingo, DDR Challenge, Glow Jam, Arcade Night.
This was a 7 day cruise so they might not have as much for shorter cruises, some things were repeated on a different day so if you missed it the first time you could do it later. My daughter spent over half the cruise in the club she loved it so much. She had just turned 14 the week before the cruise and she decided to stay down in the Edge rather than move up to the Teen club and I think she made a good decision. The bonus was that it was right around the corner from our room so she didn't have far to go.

They did say that this is a quick fix until the next drydock. Some of the activities included....
Craft Corner, Ship Factor, Gender Wars, Xbox Challenge, Pajama Party, Improv Games, Picture This, Marshmellow Olympics, Xbox Dance Central, Wii Bowling Challenge, Animation Cells, Speed Stack Challenge, Mosaic Crafts, Digital Postcards, Spoons, Karaoke, Pirate crafts for pirate night, Ratatouille Cooking School, DCL Trivia, Ice cream Sundaes, Guitar Hero Challenge, T-shirt Making, Bingo, DDR Challenge, Glow Jam, Arcade Night.
This was a 7 day cruise so they might not have as much for shorter cruises, some things were repeated on a different day so if you missed it the first time you could do it later. My daughter spent over half the cruise in the club she loved it so much. She had just turned 14 the week before the cruise and she decided to stay down in the Edge rather than move up to the Teen club and I think she made a good decision. The bonus was that it was right around the corner from our room so she didn't have far to go.

Sounds excellent thanks for the info :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info!! Glad your dd enjoyed it, my son will be a few weeks shy of 14 and I know this will be a better fit than the teen group, plus he will be able to stay with his 12 yr old brother! The activities sound great; Thanks again for sharing this info!!

Our daughter is a very mature 10.5. Will she be able to use The Edge, too? It looks more her speed than the oceaneers lab.

We are going on the Wonder next week, my daughter is 11, but her BFF that we are going with is 10. she will be turning 11 3 weeks after we cruise. Do you know if she will be allowed in the Edge? I know previously the rule was if your birthday was within one month of cruise time you could move up or down, but that was prior to DCL redoing all the age groups, so I'm not sure if that still applies?

We are going on the Wonder next week, my daughter is 11, but her BFF that we are going with is 10. she will be turning 11 3 weeks after we cruise. Do you know if she will be allowed in the Edge? I know previously the rule was if your birthday was within one month of cruise time you could move up or down, but that was prior to DCL redoing all the age groups, so I'm not sure if that still applies?

You're going to have to ask the youth leaders once you get on board. They have to make the cutoff somewhere and depending on the number of kids they have in that age group on that particular cruise, the answer might vary. I would bet that if you can show that her birthday is within the month, they might be ok. I don't think someone who is 10 1/2 and "mature", though, is reason enough for them to allow them in the tween club. It's only fair, really, to the kids in the club to stick as close as possible to the ages listed since many (like my daughter!!) had to wait until she was of age to be in the club.

They did let a ten year old in the club while we were on board, I don't know what the parents did to get her in there, but my daughter told me that she was mature for her age. I guess the real question is if you want them to be able to roam the ship when ever they want to. Since they can just come and go as they want.

My dd is 10 also; I plan to keep her in the kids clubs... I hope a lot of folks don't try to put their 10 yr olds in the tweens because she would really like to play with kids her own age! The things offered in the Edge would be appealing to her, but she is in 4th grade and I feel the Edge is more for middle schoolers (my 12 and 13 yr olds will be in there) and I am hoping she can make friends with other 10 yr olds in the kids clubs.... I do plan to let her participate in out and about, which will allow her to participate in some activities w/her older brothers.....

My son turned 10 right after we got off the boat and there were plenty of 10 year olds in the Lab for him to play with. All the kids in the Edge were 11 and up with the exception of 1 girl who was 10. So I think they really like to keep the 10 year olds down in the Lab or in the out and about program.

My son turned 10 right after we got off the boat and there were plenty of 10 year olds in the Lab for him to play with. All the kids in the Edge were 11 and up with the exception of 1 girl who was 10. So I think they really like to keep the 10 year olds down in the Lab or in the out and about program.

:thumbsup2

I did call DCL about this but my son is 13 and my niece is 16 and they kind of were excited to hang out together because she is kind of shy...they told me because the ages just changed and its still that way on the website that when I get on the ship to talk to the director for the kids clubs and they would most likely let him in with the teens....he's very mature and responsible for 13 so I think he would fit in better with the teens :)

Hi,

Thanks for the info. My twins, age 13 will really enjoy this, plus it sounds as if their cousin, who is 11 can join them too.

We just came off the Wonder on the NYE cruise and since there wasn't much info on the Edge I thought I'd let you know what we thought of it. They had planned activities as well as down time. The activities were listed in the Navagators just like the Club and Lab activities. There were a few times when familys were allowed in there too. There were councelors that were in there, but the kids could come and go as they pleased, so if your child wanted to go roam the ship they would not be accounted for. (This is where the new phones provided by Disney were extreemly helpful.) My daughter had a wonderful time in the Edge and didn't want to leave at the end of the day. She loved the councelors and had fun doing the activities that were offered. If anyone has any questions about the Edge just ask. Here are some pictures....

Also, our room was just down the hall from the Edge and we didn't hear any noise or have any problems with our magnets/FE's missing.

<photos removed because stupid forum rules won't let me post pictures, even in quoted messages, until I have ten posts...>

We're cruising on the Wonder in September and our stateroom is right across the passageway from Edge. I hope you're right about no noise or missing items...

Each cruise is different with different kids in the clubs, but it seemed that none of the things they did in the club were loud at all. When ever I went in and checked on my daughter they were all playing a game or doing some kind of organized activity or sitting and chatting with their friends. When we first got our room assignment I cringed because it was so close to the club and I was pictureing loud music and dance partys till 1AM but that wasn't the case. We NEVER heard any noise from the club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter