New ECV Rules Oct. 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it is against the law for Disney to ask for proof before they give out a GAC? Without a GAC, EVC/Wheelchairs shouldn't have FOTL access for rides? :confused3 yes, I am old fashioned by using the term handicapped. That is what the sign says for parking doesn't it? ;)

I am sorry if I am offending anyone. I didn't mean to, but there are people that abuse the system and they ruin it for those that really need it. That is the point I am trying to make. I don't think that is right. It is very unfair that those who do not need it, can stand behind a law that isn't even meant for them... and it hurts those, like you guys here, that really need it.

If you park in a "Handicapped" parking zone, you need that proof. That is a law, without that permit, you get a very hefty ticket. That is asking for proof isn't it?????? You must prove you are handicapped by that permit to park there.
To get that permit, you must go to the doctor and have him fill out the paper work for you, that cost money. Then you go to the Drivers License Dept (here in FL anyway) and get your permit. If it is a temp, you pay $15 each time you need it. If you need it more than once in a 12 month period since they only give it to you for a 6 month period, you must go to the doctor again, and cost you money again, to get the paper work again. The DL office will wave the second fee. ... so yes, it does cost money to prove it and you do have to prove it for somethings...

so my question is, do all that use the EVC/wheelchairs have "handicapped parking permits".. that is what really makes a true documented handicapped, and yes, that costs money.

So it is against the law for Disney to ask for proof before they give out a GAC? Without a GAC, EVC/Wheelchairs shouldn't have FOTL access for rides? :confused3 yes, I am old fashioned by using the term handicapped. That is what the sign says for parking doesn't it? ;)

I am sorry if I am offending anyone. I didn't mean to, but there are people that abuse the system and they ruin it for those that really need it. That is the point I am trying to make. I don't think that is right. It is very unfair that those who do not need it, can stand behind a law that isn't even meant for them... and it hurts those, like you guys here, that really need it.

There is no such thing at FOTL access anymore, except for Make A Wish kids. Neither the use of a wheelchair nor a GAC will provide front of line access.

The ADA protects EQUAL access and that is what the GAC or the use of a wheelchair provides. I agree FOTL is SPECIAL access, and for the few people who get that, like Make a Wish kids, medicial necessity IS shown.

But, no, no one gets to skip the line anymore. A GAC is just there to help the CM know about invisible issues, such as autism or a small child who uses a wheelchair as a stroller.

When did the FOTL end for GAC? I know someone who was there just a few weeks ago and she got FOTL with it????
Actually, she had a wheelchair, and she said half of the CM's didn't even ask for the GAC, they just waved her on. Some did ask to see her GAC, but most did not.

When did the FOTL end for GAC?

It was never really a FOTL pass. There may be people who report that they "skip lines" with it, and on occasion it may shorten wait time on certain rides at certain times, but it is not designed to shorten wait times.

In fact, it even says on the card that it is not designed to shorten wait times. I get one every week at DL, so I see that message all the time.

It is actually not uncommon to discover LONGER waits with a GAC than the standby line, and sometimes in less comfortable (and definitely not as well themed) waiting areas.

It was never really a FOTL pass. There may be people who report that they "skip lines" with it, and on occasion it may shorten wait time on certain rides at certain times, but it is not designed to shorten wait times.

In fact, it even says on the card that it is not designed to shorten wait times. I get one every week at DL, so I see that message all the time.

It is actually not uncommon to discover LONGER waits with a GAC than the standby line, and sometimes in less comfortable (and definitely not as well themed) waiting areas.

:goodvibes did you read my pm?

My experience with a GAC/scooter is that some lines are longer, some are shorter. For example, at Disneyland Peter Pan--because it is an old attraction with a small queue there is no room for a wheelchair or a scooter. So you end up using the exit (you show your scooter key--not sure what you do for a wheelchair) or GAC to the person at the end of the ride where you get off. They will usually make you wait a few minutes or for a few boats to go by, but you will get on before others who are waiting in line. Mostly, I believe, because it would clog up the exit line if they had too many people waiting in that small exit area.

On the other hand--let's look at Pirates. Again you use the exit, but in contrast on busy days I have seen the line all the way out the exit and almost to the main walkway along the Rivers of America--while at the same time the regular queue might be a 10 minute wait (that ride loads fast). Disabled may be waiting an hour or more to load.

And then you have the mainstreamed queues--mostly in DCA. On Toy Story, for example, you will stay in the main line all the way through--when everyone else gets to load you then (if you have a GAC or are on a scooter or wheelchair) get to move to the queue for the disabled access. Which since sometimes only one disabled car is running may be a long wait. I've had people directly behind me in the regular line actually ride the ride and get off before I even got loaded.

So, yes in some circumstances, as KPeveler said, you may get on faster on some attractions (in other words, FOTL). However, in a lot of other cases you will have a longer wait as a disabled person.

::yes::
Also, a lot of people don’t look at what the wait is in the ‘regular’ line, so just think they got on faster. We have been behind someone who was raving about how fast they were getting in with a wheelchair because it was a non-accessible line, when the people in the ‘regular’ line were basically getting on as fast as they could walk in.

In the places (both WDW and DL) where ECVs or wheelchairs are handled differently, it’s because the ‘regular’ line was not accessible. It is not a ‘perk’ of having a wheelchair or ECV, it is usually the only way in.
And, over the years, more and more lines have been made accessible if at all possible, so everyone waits in the same line together (These are also called Mainstream Lines).

I do tend to believe what the poster said some people abuse the system. maybe lazy, over weight they should not be allowed the excerise will do them good. I will be bring a doctors note with me just because I feel it is the right thing to do. I hope this will be my only visit with one as I hope it is only temporary issue I am going through.
But I do know in NY they have made handicap parking permits harder to get. I work for a doctor and the laws have changed and a few people we gave them to in the past no longer qualify. Hugh's girls are one good example....

I do tend to believe what the poster said some people abuse the system. maybe lazy, over weight they should not be allowed the excerise will do them good. I will be bring a doctors note with me just because I feel it is the right thing to do. I hope this will be my only visit with one as I hope it is only temporary issue I am going through.
But I do know in NY they have made handicap parking permits harder to get. I work for a doctor and the laws have changed and a few people we gave them to in the past no longer qualify. Hugh's girls are one good example....

You can bring a doctor's note if you want, but they will not look at it.

Please in the future refrain from making judgments about who should or should not need a scooter. There is a reason the law was written the way it was, and I am glad of it. Those of us with disabilities should not have to prove we really do need a scooter or wheelchair constantly - I am going to be using a wheelchair hte rest of my life, and I refuse to have to prove I really am sick!

This is a personal decision to use a scooter or wheelchair, and luckily the protects us from having to prove our needs constantly.

I think this is a good place to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!