New DVC Owner Questions

rob191186

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

Recently purchased my 1st DVC contract on the resale market for AKV. So chuffed as been visiting WDW since I can remember and this is my all time favourite resort.

I have ALWAYS booked my previous Disney trips on the DisneyWorld website, adding Hotel/Tickets/Dining Plan/memory maker/$200 gift card etc etc (you know the drill). Flights always separately.

Now that I will be booking with my DVC points, how do dining/fastpass reservations work? Are dining reservations still available at 180 days out and Fastpass 90 days? (under normal circumstances pre COVID of course) Do you book as you would with any DisneyWorld website booking on MDE?

From reading online the current booking window for Dining is 60 days and obviously Fastpasses are currently suspended. My trip using my DVC points isn’t until Oct/Nov 2021 so I’m hoping by mid next year booking dining reservations may be back to normal, if not over the current 60 day window (especially for us from the UK).

Anyway just thought I would ask fellow DVCer’s how booking Dining/Fastpasses works? How? When? Where? Etc

Another question is Park Tickets?! Previously I would get these as part of the package on WDW booking, however I will now need to get these separately as I don’t want to get an annual pass as won’t be visiting yearly. Can any tickets purchased be added to your DVC booking?

Any other DVC tips/hints will be most appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Welcome Home!

Hi All,

Recently purchased my 1st DVC contract on the resale market for AKV. So chuffed as been visiting WDW since I can remember and this is my all time favourite resort.

I have ALWAYS booked my previous Disney trips on the DisneyWorld website, adding Hotel/Tickets/Dining Plan/memory maker/$200 gift card etc etc (you know the drill). Flights always separately.

Now that I will be booking with my DVC points, how do dining/fastpass reservations work? Are dining reservations still available at 180 days out and Fastpass 90 days? (under normal circumstances pre COVID of course) Do you book as you would with any DisneyWorld website booking on MDE?

Yeah, just book and link to MDE using the confirmation number DVC give you.

From reading online the current booking window for Dining is 60 days and obviously Fastpasses are currently suspended. My trip using my DVC points isn’t until Oct/Nov 2021 so I’m hoping by mid next year booking dining reservations may be back to normal, if not over the current 60 day window (especially for us from the UK).

Anyway just thought I would ask fellow DVCer’s how booking Dining/Fastpasses works? How? When? Where? Etc

MDE recognises DVC as onsite rooms so you get whatever booking windows onsite guests get.

Another question is Park Tickets?! Previously I would get these as part of the package on WDW booking, however I will now need to get these separately as I don’t want to get an annual pass as won’t be visiting yearly. Can any tickets purchased be added to your DVC booking?

Any ticket purchased from the US or UK can be added to your MDE and used for your DVC stay. It will activate FastPassP or ParkPass eligibility or whatever's in place at the time.

thanks in advance!

Hi All,

Yeah, just book and link to MDE using the confirmation number DVC give you.

MDE recognises DVC as onsite rooms so you get whatever booking windows onsite guests get.

Any ticket purchased from the US or UK can be added to your MDE and used for your DVC stay. It will activate FastPassP or ParkPass eligibility or whatever's in place at the time.

thanks in advance!

Hi All,

thanks in advance!

if you don't want the DVC discounted AP, you can buy the UK ultimate ticket on the disney uk website and then just link it into your MDE..
the DVC reservation itself is just like a money for room reservation..
it appears in your MDE..
if you want to buy the dining plan (if they ever bring it back), you purchase the dining plan right inside your DVC reservation on the DVC website...

but if you're not buying the discounted DVC ticket and you're staying for two weeks, you're much better off buying the UK 14 day ultimate ticket and linking it to your MDE.

if you don't want the DVC discounted AP, you can buy the UK ultimate ticket on the disney uk website and then just link it into your MDE..
the DVC reservation itself is just like a money for room reservation..
it appears in your MDE..
if you want to buy the dining plan (if they ever bring it back), you purchase the dining plan right inside your DVC reservation on the DVC website...

but if you're not buying the discounted DVC ticket and you're staying for two weeks, you're much better off buying the UK 14 day ultimate ticket and linking it to your MDE.

Thanks for the reply. We are planning a 17 night stay so let’s hope they bring back the 21 day ultimate ticket!

Thanks for the reply. We are planning a 17 night stay so let’s hope they bring back the 21 day ultimate ticket!

yes, that's the one we need as well. We normally stay for 3 weeks.
But right now even the AP isn't available from what i understand.
crazy times!!

yes, that's the one we need as well. We normally stay for 3 weeks.
But right now even the AP isn't available from what i understand.
crazy times!!
I guess Disney are still trying to manage attendance etc and have removed the facility to buy AP or 21 days ticket for now. Let’s hope once they are back at 100% capacity, the tickets come back also! When are you booked to go? Are you DVC too?

I guess Disney are still trying to manage attendance etc and have removed the facility to buy AP or 21 days ticket for now. Let’s hope once they are back at 100% capacity, the tickets come back also! When are you booked to go? Are you DVC too?
yes, we're DVC
Relatively new, but we have stayed DVC once as members and it was FABULOUS!!!!!
so inexpensive compared to how much we spent on the prior trip booking a UK package..

as for when we were booked...
we were booked for 24 days in july/august 2021, for all 9 of us (me, DH, DS and his wife and kids, and DD and her husband)
but we cancelled two weeks ago..
my son was very worried about what the situation would be and he couldn't deal with the tension..
seems now that it might all be ok by the summer, but he doesn't care...
he was really stressed over the trip...

so we're all going to go in july 2022..

however, i just booked 16 days for my daughter and son in law in august 2021 ...
they said they'll go if the two of them are vaccinated before then...

Sorry you had to cancel but totally understand your Son’s concerns. It’s a tricky one as it’s so hard to predict how things will look in 6-12months time. Glad you managed to still use your points tho! We have a use year of March so we have booked Oct/Nov 21, however if things are still not looking “normal” we can at least push back to latest March if there is still availability.

You’ve got me excited for our first DVC trip now. I agree, the money you pay for a UK package is astronomical and it will only increase as the years pass.

Sorry you had to cancel but totally understand your Son’s concerns. It’s a tricky one as it’s so hard to predict how things will look in 6-12months time. Glad you managed to still use your points tho! We have a use year of March so we have booked Oct/Nov 21, however if things are still not looking “normal” we can at least push back to latest March if there is still availability.

You’ve got me excited for our first DVC trip now. I agree, the money you pay for a UK package is astronomical and it will only increase as the years pass.

because of covid, DVC put the borrowed points back into the original year, which is great....
our use year is june....so works out well for our summer trips...

There are currently no Fast Passes, though they will probably return some time next year. Also, ADRs are now 60 days out instead of 180, though that may change before next spring. 2021 is still very up in the air right now. It really depends on if we see COVID-19 slowing down with inoculations on the way.

Hi All,

thanks in advance!

Welcome Home!

Sounds like you are in an almost identical situation to us, though we've been UK DVC owners for a few years now (at the Poly). I will share with you a tip we use for tickets (although not currently applicable due to current restrictions!). Also, Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of my favourite resorts too!

We go every year around September/October time for three weeks. We realised that it made more sense to buy a DVC discounted Annual Pass, because if you are a little bit flexible on timings, you can get "two years" use out of a one year AP, making it far far cheaper than our great 21-Day UK tickets. e.g. We bought an AP and activated it and went mid-October 2018, and then scheduled our trip the following year to be three weeks before the anniversary (i.e. late September 2019) - this way we could get "two years" out of the 1 year AP. We also do the same for the Tables in Wonderland card, which as a DVC member, you're also eligible for. So you can get two years out of this card, which makes it excellent value if you eat or drink regularly on property (20% discount off food, drinks and alcohol in most Disney restaurants and lounges).

Of course, right now, neither the AP or Tables in Wonderland card are available - but this is certainly worth keeping an eye on. For our October 2021 trip, we will purchase the 14-day Ultimate ticket so we can at least make park reservations for the first two weeks of our stay. October is likely to be busy because of the 50th anniversary, so while its unlikely that park reservations will be maxed out completely, no one knows for sure, and its peace of mind. The good news is that (certainly pre-pandemic) you could, on arrival, trade your UK ticket in for an annual pass. They would apply the value of the ticket towards your AP and you would pay the difference. I'm sure this will still be possible, so that's how we're going to handle things this year.

Welcome Home!

Sounds like you are in an almost identical situation to us, though we've been UK DVC owners for a few years now (at the Poly). I will share with you a tip we use for tickets (although not currently applicable due to current restrictions!). Also, Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of my favourite resorts too!

We go every year around September/October time for three weeks. We realised that it made more sense to buy a DVC discounted Annual Pass, because if you are a little bit flexible on timings, you can get "two years" use out of a one year AP, making it far far cheaper than our great 21-Day UK tickets. e.g. We bought an AP and activated it and went mid-October 2018, and then scheduled our trip the following year to be three weeks before the anniversary (i.e. late September 2019) - this way we could get "two years" out of the 1 year AP. We also do the same for the Tables in Wonderland card, which as a DVC member, you're also eligible for. So you can get two years out of this card, which makes it excellent value if you eat or drink regularly on property (20% discount off food, drinks and alcohol in most Disney restaurants and lounges).

Of course, right now, neither the AP or Tables in Wonderland card are available - but this is certainly worth keeping an eye on. For our October 2021 trip, we will purchase the 14-day Ultimate ticket so we can at least make park reservations for the first two weeks of our stay. October is likely to be busy because of the 50th anniversary, so while its unlikely that park reservations will be maxed out completely, no one knows for sure, and its peace of mind. The good news is that (certainly pre-pandemic) you could, on arrival, trade your UK ticket in for an annual pass. They would apply the value of the ticket towards your AP and you would pay the difference. I'm sure this will still be possible, so that's how we're going to handle things this year.

two questions
1. can you convert two tickets to one AP? that is, could you buy a 7 day and 14 day and convert the two of them to an AP?
2. i don't remember the second question - geez....in literally 15 seconds i forgot the question......crazy...

Welcome Home!

i just saw that disney is offering DVC owners the get 2 days free on a 4 day ticket...
so that would give you 6 days...
will that help?

1. can you convert two tickets to one AP? that is, could you buy a 7 day and 14 day and convert the two of them to an AP?
I'm afraid I'm not sure on that one! But I have not seen the Park reservation system get booked up very far ahead - except on specific dates due to certain events (AP holders without resort reservations can only book up to 3 days at a time), so right now you would be fine getting one 14 day, making your first two weeks of park reservations, then deciding what to do on the first couple of days of your vacation (exchange for AP, buy another 7-Day Ultimate, etc).

Personally, I'm keeping an eye on the reservation system - and I will wait on buying tickets until at least March (or the park reservation calendar looks like its getting busier). Given they have recently added the park hoping back in, I can see the roadmap for the return of APs.

i just saw that disney is offering DVC owners the get 2 days free on a 4 day ticket...
so that would give you 6 days...
will that help?
U.S. tickets are *very* expensive, and are much more complicated than our tickets - e.g. you need to buy park hoppers separately etc. It would almost certainly still be cheaper to buy the 7-day Ultimate. That said, I have not gone and priced it up myself, but our UK tickets really are great value. I seem to remember a four day park ticket was around $450 in the U.S, and then an extra $100 for park hopping - plus tax on top!!

Welcome Home!

Thanks for the detailed response and great tips! :)

I am hoping they bring back the AP by the end of the year, with the DVC discount it made it very cost effective if you managed 2 or 3 trips in the year.

I am hoping they bring back the AP by the end of the year, with the DVC discount it made it very cost effective if you managed 2 or 3 trips in the year.

yes, for my daughter and son in law's trip in august 2021, they would like an AP (assuming they actually go, which i'm not sure).
they're booked for 16 nights, but also the trip is august and our big family trip is July 2022.
So it would help if they get APs this year that can be used next year.
but it's all a big unknown right now..
another thing - they've increased capacity but not the hours...
so there are very long lines combined with a short day, making it less than ideal...

by the way, i just got them all 16 nights at BLT on our SSR points.
There is tons of availability

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter