• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New discounts announced for D23 members

I think my biggest issue with D23 is that it isn't what I want. I don't want a fan club, I want a loyalty program and I think the main disconnect between the two D23 camps is just that. The people who like it want a fan club while many who don't like it, at least here where we are park-centric, want a loyalty program of some sort.

I don't belong to any fan clubs. Not for my favorite sports teams, athletes, or bands. I just don't see the value in it. I don't think they are bad, I don't even really think D23 is bad, none of them are what I want. D23 and a loyalty program aren't mutually exclusive as far as I'm concerned. They can be packaged together but if a loyalty program replaced what D23 is now you still have the same lines in the sand, people would just switch sides.

The thing that really makes little sense is that anyone who is in a position of authority at Disney should know that most loyalty programs don't actually cost the company much. Customers tend to purchase the product or service of a company in higher quantities when they perceive a future reward for doing so. Lets say that as part of the loyalty program someone gets a free upgrade to concierge after they spend 10 nights at a deluxe resort (cumulative but with a minimum of 3-night increments). That might get someone to decide on staying at a deluxe instead of a moderate or stay twice for five nights instead of twice for four nights. Disney will make up the cost of that perk because so many guests will alter their vacation plans in Disney's favor to take advantage of them.

It is win-win. The guests who who are loyal get something from Disney and Disney gets more loyal guests who spend money. The management at Disney is very short-sighted but unfortunately that is rewarded in the market.

I think my biggest issue with D23 is that it isn't what I want. I don't want a fan club, I want a loyalty program and I think the main disconnect between the two D23 camps is just that. The people who like it want a fan club while many who don't like it, at least here where we are park-centric, want a loyalty program of some sort.

I don't belong to any fan clubs. Not for my favorite sports teams, athletes, or bands. I just don't see the value in it. I don't think they are bad, I don't even really think D23 is bad, none of them are what I want. D23 and a loyalty program aren't mutually exclusive as far as I'm concerned. They can be packaged together but if a loyalty program replaced what D23 is now you still have the same lines in the sand, people would just switch sides.

The thing that really makes little sense is that anyone who is in a position of authority at Disney should know that most loyalty programs don't actually cost the company much. Customers tend to purchase the product or service of a company in higher quantities when they perceive a future reward for doing so. Lets say that as part of the loyalty program someone gets a free upgrade to concierge after they spend 10 nights at a deluxe resort (cumulative but with a minimum of 3-night increments). That might get someone to decide on staying at a deluxe instead of a moderate or stay twice for five nights instead of twice for four nights. Disney will make up the cost of that perk because so many guests will alter their vacation plans in Disney's favor to take advantage of them.

It is win-win. The guests who who are loyal get something from Disney and Disney gets more loyal guests who spend money. The management at Disney is very short-sighted but unfortunately that is rewarded in the market.

I hope someone at Disney is reading this!!!! You are exactly right!!

I hadn't intended to post on this thread (and hoped it would die a quick death), but I think Frank hit on something. It seems as if some people are really just upset because D23 isn't what they "wanted" (or expected).

D23 isn't a loyalty program and was never meant to be one. As a fan club, it has it's good and bad days...but I think that's what we need to judge it on.

I talked to Steven Clark, the head of D23 last year. Here's a link to the blog and the audio. (Sorry, shameless self-promotion, but he makes the point better than I could.)

Steven Clark Interview

Here's an excerpt:

Steven Clark’s “day job” is overseeing the archives and corporate internal communications, but Disney CEO Bob Iger came to Clark’s group for ideas. Iger told him he was constantly being asked by fans and shareholders why the company didn’t have an official fan club. According to Clark:

“I don’t think anyone in the company had really thought about the fact that we didn’t have a fan club. The fan experience has always been enjoyed by segments of the Disney company. What I mean by that is Parks & Resorts has Disney Vacation Club and the Annual Passholder program, the Studio has Disney Movie Rewards, and Disney Consumer Products has Walt Disney Collectors Society, but there was no organization that allowed people…a chance to celebrate their love of all things related to Disney under one roof. And that’s what D23 offers.”

That said, Disney DOES need a loyalty program. I'd have like a gazillion points.

As a fan club, it has it's good and bad days...but I think that's what we need to judge it on.

Wait, I thought Pete said that his opinion was the only right one?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding (sit back down NikkiBell). ;)

Even though I don't live in FL or CA, I still think the D23 membership is worth it for me, even if just for the magazine. However, I completely understand those that feel that it is not worth it, and I respect that opinion.

I completely agree on the loyalty program though. Disney absolutely needs a real one.

I hadn't intended to post on this thread (and hoped it would die a quick death), but I think Frank hit on something. It seems as if some people are really just upset because D23 isn't what they "wanted" (or expected).

D23 isn't a loyalty program and was never meant to be one. As a fan club, it has it's good and bad days...but I think that's what we need to judge it on.

I talked to Steven Clark, the head of D23 last year. Here's a link to the blog and the audio. (Sorry, shameless self-promotion, but he makes the point better than I could.)

Steven Clark Interview

Here's an excerpt:

That said, Disney DOES need a loyalty program. I'd have like a gazillion points.

I agree that a fan club and a loyalty program are two entirely different things and part of the animosity towards D23 is that is is NOT a loyalty program, but that is Disney's fault. They hyped D23 like crazy so that many people were expecting a loyalty club...finally. Then it turns out to be a fan club, which is fine to have, but it's very pricey and while the magazine is nice I guess, it's mostly pictures from what I've seen and an akward to size to read. The old Disney Magazine was much cheaper and WAY better IMHO. To me, even just basing my opinion stricltly on it's own merit as a fan club, D23 just falls short, especially considering it's Disney and the endless possibilities of what they could have done.

I'm not impressed with the discounts. Living in Florida feels like you are the stepchild here.

A BlockBuster.com discount - didn't they just close a lot of stores around the country because they were losing money.

10% discount for the Richard Perry driving experience - that means you don't have to pay tax.

Brookstone.com - really?! :confused:

I agree with Kathy - I get more with my AAA discount.

AAA has been around, what, 80 years? 100 years? D23 is not even three. They're getting things RIGHT. Can you give them credit for actually LISTENING to what you say and trying to respond? I am sure they have heard ALL of what was said about the Expo. Your comments don't fall on deaf ears! It may feel that way, but they don't.

In the last year, D23 has made sure a free gift comes in EVERY magazine, that the magazine increases its content, that the website has some really great articles, to do the D23 Expo -- no matter what you feel about it, they did it to the best of their abilities -- TWO Destination D events, plus smaller events not JUST in California in FLorida, but I've seen some in Chicago, in Kansas City ... they want to get fans mobilized everywhere, but it's still in start-up phase. Don't have buyer's remorse! Know that at the VERY least, you'll get the stellar magazine and gifts, and as they do more and more, you'll GET more and more!

This thread is starting to veer off topic. The original poster listed information about new discounts for D23 members. Please keep the discussion to that topic, not debating the validity of a membership. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter