New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

So. I know this has been discussed already, but... do you REALLY have to wake up and go get in line at 2 AM everyday if you want to get into the big Hall D23 presentations?? I mean. I don't have to be the closest person to the stage that's humanly possible, I'd like to be, but I by no means HAVE to be. I'm sure I'll be satisfied so long as I get in. That much I am certain of... I'll be saddened to be shut out but just be glad to have a spot inside.

Is 2 AM to go over to queue really the expectation for this? Would arriving around 5 AM be way too late already?? :/

As others said - I believe the live action one previously filled about 3 AM in 2017. This is now combined with animation, which if anything will likely only increase demand. Both Friday and Saturday they've allowed full overnight line-up. They've never allowed it on Sunday, but this year the Parks & Resorts big panel is Sunday AM, so I think at this stage no one knows how they are going to handle that one.

I'm with you, I have no interest in lining up overnight or at 2 AM. But yeah, 5 AM will be too late for the morning panels on both Friday and Saturday - UNLESS they change how they've done it in the past.

Interesting... so they "required" time varies slightly. Really? 4 AM for Legends... I figured that would be the earliest with the announcement of RDJ especially. Why would that line start later with the barrage of celebs that take occur in it?? You'd think you would have to line up earliest of all for that one.

I guess because there isn't going to be anything new to show. The Legends ceremony is all about history, no new footage of anything, no breaking news. All the bloggers and press go to the other panels to get the scoop on what's coming up, but this is just like an awards show really or watching people get their star on the Walk of Fame. We've seen some amazing performances at past ones, but since cell phones are allowed (unlike some of the other panels) you can usually watch them on YouTube later (not the same as being there for me).

I guess I should ask something about line specifics. Is there a specific line up for those big Hall D23 presentations located somewhere specific outside the convention center? Or is it just one big general queue to get into the building and once in, you just proceed to the arena queuing area like a herd of cattle??

I figure I should know where approximately I should be heading if I am to be out there at some ungodly hour of the morning...

I guess I should ask something about line specifics. Is there a specific line up for those big Hall D23 presentations located somewhere specific outside the convention center? Or is it just one big general queue to get into the building and once in, you just proceed to the arena queuing area like a herd of cattle??

I figure I should know where approximately I should be heading if I am to be out there at some ungodly hour of the morning...
It’s in the basement of the convention center.

It’s in the basement of the convention center.

And you go right into the basement beginning at midnight or whenever people are first showing up? Are there signs or Cast Members directing you where to go?? Like... how obvious is it...

And you go right into the basement beginning at midnight or whenever people are first showing up? Are there signs or Cast Members directing you where to go?? Like... how obvious is it...

So, I am going to my first D23 Expo this year, but I have been watching YouTube videos of the queues. I think until about 10 pm, maybe later, people do line up outside into one general line. Then as they move people inside and down to the basement (Hall E?), they have signs with which queue is which.

...I have no interest in lining up overnight or at 2 AM. But yeah, 5 AM will be too late for the morning panels on both Friday and Saturday - UNLESS they change how they've done it in the past.

I was originally hoping that arriving about 4 am Friday and Saturday would be early enough for the panels. When they announced the changes, I figure I am going to have to move at least to 3 am on Friday and 2 am on Saturday. I am hoping to stay on EST through at least Saturday morning, but I am afraid that will be more difficult than planned.

If they do overnight lines (no confirmation of the line procedure for 2019 yet), then starting roughly at 10pm they will let people into Hall E (the basement of the convention center, all the way to the left of the main entrance) to line up. Hall E will be segmented into several line areas, the largest being for Hall D23. Hall D23 had three sections (A-B-C) and you choose a section before getting in line. The other side of Hall E is the line for floor/panels in the morning that aren't in Hall D23.

They keep Hall E open until either it's filled OR the clock reaches a certain time (5am? I think?), then the line moves outside to the street level. July 2017 was HOT and HUMID for Southern California and outside was miserable.

There will be an unofficial line for Hall E before they allow official line-ups for the diehards. As a Sorcerer in 2017, the Hall E unofficial line was there when we went in at 9:30am on Thursday. That was a full 12-hours before Hall E officially opened for the overnight line.

You can keep tabs on social media to judge how Hall E is filling, but I for sure think 5am will be too late.

Last edited:

Yah. Arriving around 10 PM on Thursday, it was pretty easy & obvious. And to echo @lurkergirl , I remember walking to the parks Thursday AM & seeing a few folks already lined up in their folding chairs.

If I recall correctly from 2017, the segmented basement areas were used for the Friday morning session. I arrived around 4:30 a.m, & there was plenty of space at the time, I even think the floor show section had more people than the Legends side. They also seemed to cut off access to the basement early, say 5:30, and it was about half full.

Saturday morning was the Parks panel, and the entire basement was used for that line only and it was full/closed around 4 a.m,. I was not in that line so am trying to remember from comments. Those there early for the show floor were lined up on the upper and lower floors inside the convention center,.

If I recall correctly from 2017, the segmented basement areas were used for the Friday morning session. I arrived around 4:30 a.m, & there was plenty of space at the time, I even think the floor show section had more people than the Legends side. They also seemed to cut off access to the basement early, say 5:30, and it was about half full.

Saturday morning was the Parks panel, and the entire basement was used for that line only and it was full/closed around 4 a.m,. I was not in that line so am trying to remember from comments. Those there early for the show floor were lined up on the upper and lower floors inside the convention center,.
That would have been the movies panel on Saturday for 4am. The parks pane line from what I remember hearing from friends started around 7am since it was the afternoon presentation.

Our FedEx delivery yesterday was not our D23 Expo badges, but was our medals for the Marvel virtual runs. So still good, but not what I thought it would be.

That's a nice extra event to fill out the D23 stage - but for me I don't see it as high on my list unless I can walk up about 30 minutes beforehand. I love broadway musicals but not as big a fan of the songs just being sung out of context.

I'm about with you there... however, I'd probably be willing to wait about an hour or so.

Anyways! I'm just curious... they say Hall D23, etc. that's the arena, correct? I just ask due to the fact that that Little Mermaid panel is scheduled at 10 AM in the arena on Sunday morning... how?? Doesn't Parks & Resorts start in the same venue at 10:30 AM?? Is the Little Mermaid presentation really only going to be a half hour? I guess it's possible but that's basically a hard stop and hard start in the timing of the two... thoughts?

I'm about with you there... however, I'd probably be willing to wait about an hour or so.

Anyways! I'm just curious... they say Hall D23, etc. that's the arena, correct? I just ask due to the fact that that Little Mermaid panel is scheduled at 10 AM in the arena on Sunday morning... how?? Doesn't Parks & Resorts start in the same venue at 10:30 AM?? Is the Little Mermaid presentation really only going to be a half hour? I guess it's possible but that's basically a hard stop and hard start in the timing of the two... thoughts?

Hall D23 is separate from the Arena - The arena is the actual built-in theater (of sorts) that's all the way over to the side of the complex. I think they used to hold the largest panels there until they needed to create Hall D23

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter