NEW! California Grill Menu Like it or Not?

Do you like the New California Grill Menu?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I agree the desserts don't seem too appealing but the rest looks interesting. I'm torn between sticking with my favorites, ravioli app and pork tenderloin, or try something new to me like bone marrow and foam! Lmaoooo

Just can't wait to order the $43 scallops...nice to see scallops pass the forty buck mark at WDW...I've been waiting so long for this...hope I get at least three on the plate.

I think the current menu looks amazing. It seems very seasonal, though, and I'm almost a little disappointed knowing that all those mouthwatering tomato-centric dishes likely won't be on the menu when I get to try it in November. However, if the menu is the same when I visit, I don't know how I'll ever choose.

There is a lot that I would try now and I can't say that about the previous menu. The desserts seem a little plain but I would probably enjoy the chocolate pudding cake.

I think my meal is all coming from the appetizer side of the menu and I am excited!

Seriously most Disney menus seem to have better appetizers then entrees. (Of course folks have to PAY for them so.. LOL!)

I've been having various appetizers as meals at California Grill for years. Sharing sushi and flatbreads, or when I'm solo, a soup and some other appetizers. It's been years since I've done an entree. I'm pretty sure it was the pork tenderloin and polenta. That's a menu staple.

I'm really excited about the Omakase Experience. I have it booked for December. It's prepaid like the Chef's Counter at Flying Fish, but it is a bit more expensive. You do get 12-14 small plates, chef's choice. Sounds like a nice adventure!

Just can't wait to order the $43 scallops...nice to see scallops pass the forty buck mark at WDW...I've been waiting so long for this...hope I get at least three on the plate.

I had four Scallops for $35 at Flying Fish. Now I go to blueZoo and get a whole fish for the same price.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all impressed with the desserts. Since dessert is the most important course ;), I'm hoping they will turn out to be less carnival like than they sound. Most of the desserts would make great kid's desserts though.

Reminds me of the 'carnival-like' desserts at Flying Fish. Also, Disney is asking me to dress in 'proper attire' but they are serving donuts with dipping sauceS for dessert. I wonder, is the steak served with ketchup & A-1.....

Regardless, I still love a room with a view.

I've been having various appetizers as meals at California Grill for years. Sharing sushi and flatbreads, or when I'm solo, a soup and some other appetizers. It's been years since I've done an entree. I'm pretty sure it was the pork tenderloin and polenta. That's a menu staple.

I'm really excited about the Omakase Experience. I have it booked for December. It's prepaid like the Chef's Counter at Flying Fish, but it is a bit more expensive. You do get 12-14 small plates, chef's choice. Sounds like a nice adventure!

Please let me know how the Omakase goes. We are very interested!

:rotfl2: Me too!!!!

I'll find out, but not till February.

I'm definitely not a huge fan of the new menu. It seems real plain and not exciting at all. But I'll give it a shot in October regardless. I'm always disappointed when there isn't a creme brulee on the menu, but I'm definitely glad the awful soft shell crab is gone. Maybe I'll try the scallops for $10 each. Lol.

I'm in!!! I wish DDP still incl. apps. cause this is one place could easily try them all. those will be OOP and wine, of course.

Did you have to book the Omakase differently? Do you know the cost?

Thanks!

One thing I've noticed watching Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey, it's better to have a limited menu and make sure those items are top notch. Nice thing about a limited menu is the food turns over quickly so nothing is sitting around for very long meaning you get fresher ingredients.

Most of the totally disgusting places Gordon goes in to have huge menus.

Yeah...but....Gordon Ramsey is going into failing places that have hacks in the kitchen. A large kitchen with highly trained pros can churn out several different meat and fish dishes without being "totally disgusting". California Grill is hardly a contender for a "Kitchen Nightmares" makeover.

I think the menu looks terrific. But I don't order steak very often when I go out to eat. I like to order unique things that I haven't tried before. That said, I could see where a meat eater would be disappointed that the only steak on the menu is the most boring cut of meat, i.e., the filet. Were I to order beef, it surely would be the short ribs.

Reminds me of the 'carnival-like' desserts at Flying Fish. Also, Disney is asking me to dress in 'proper attire' but they are serving donuts with dipping sauceS for dessert. I wonder, is the steak served with ketchup & A-1.....

Yeah, it's dragsville to have to put on an actual shirt to eat doughnuts.

Please let me know how the Omakase goes. We are very interested!

Did you have to book the Omakase differently? Do you know the cost?

Thanks!

I responded to Jennylyn in a private message, but I'll share what I told her here, as well.

The cost is $175 per person, pre-paid in advance, with a penalty if you cancel within 2 days of the reservation. The price is inclusive, meaning tax and gratuity is bundled into the price of the meal. The info I've seen online is that it would be roughly 12-14 courses of "small bites" tasting plates.

And here's where it gets interesting. My agent at Disney CRO had seen the Omakase Experience on her screen, but it was not showing any availability no matter which day she tried. She even tried a date range for an entire month, nothing popping up for her. She then tried a different method to look it up.

Instead of "date" and "restaurant" only as the search parameters, she chose "restaurant" (California Grill) and added a time (8pm). Then the Omakase Experience magically appeared for her to book for me. Apparently CG reserved this time for the Omakase, and regular ADRs would have dining times like "7:55pm". That makes sense.

So my advice, if anyone does call to book, and the agent says nothing is available, ask the agent to check again and plug in the specific 8pm time. You can tell them "a friend discovered this glitch when she tried to book it". :thumbsup2

We are going to try the California Grill for the first time in December. I think the menu looks interesting! Can someone tell me.....are reservation is for 9:40, and Wishes is at 10:00. Will we be able to leave our table to go to the observation deck to watch?

as a family we are split by the menu. I love it, for what i'd order.
my DH and DD not so much, DD is not a fan of tomatoes, and the steak is with tomato, tomato, tomato and a little bit more tomato. :(

sometimes less is more, and making something sound fancy schmancy is all well and good, but actually i am more happy with quality produce cooked properly, and courteous wait staff, (fingers crossed, as this was the area that seriously let down CG on our previous visit) than a fluffy sounding menu.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter