NEW California Grill Menu is up on WDW Website!

That sounds amazing! I just read my mostly disinterested husband the menu he got a little more excited....he is the type of to get into something until it happens. 73 days out is too much for him lol.

I've got the Omakase Experience booked in December. It's similar to a chef's counter or chef's table in other places. The chefs present your dinner as small plates, their choice. About 12-14 dishes! And this is completely appropriate for this restaurant. This place used to serve foie gras before it became a PC pariah ingredient.

BriarRosie, Mary Ann booked the Omakase for us on Dec 14 - wonder if any booze is included in the price?

I'm wondering the same thing - WDW-DINE couldn't say either way. It probably needs to include drinks to not be a horrible deal. $175 inclusive means $140 base, and if the view and WDW "tax" means a 25% markup, that's still $112, and you could do a lot of damage with that in a non-pixie dust place.

Did/will CA Grill have an a la carte menu for sushi by the piece? I think it'd be hard to offer a wide variety of fish if there are only 9(?) seats each night.

BriarRosie, Mary Ann booked the Omakase for us on Dec 14 - wonder if any booze is included in the price?

Hi Tommie! I saw Mary Ann post about it elsewhere. ;)
Catherine and I have it booked for the night prior. I was under the impression that booze wasn't included. If it was, I didn't pay close enough attention to the CRO agent on the phone.

I'm wondering the same thing - WDW-DINE couldn't say either way. It probably needs to include drinks to not be a horrible deal. $175 inclusive means $140 base, and if the view and WDW "tax" means a 25% markup, that's still $112, and you could do a lot of damage with that in a non-pixie dust place.

Did/will CA Grill have an a la carte menu for sushi by the piece? I think it'd be hard to offer a wide variety of fish if there are only 9(?) seats each night.

I figured that with tax and gratuity included, and 12-14 small plate tasting courses, it should be worthwhile. Not all the courses will be sushi. I read something on the Disney Food Blog where beef was mentioned as one of the small bites. CG didn't offer nigiri sushi pieces a la carte, just their own designer maki rolls and sushi plate offerings.

If booze isn't included, I'd still probably order a glass of wine. Or split a bottle.

The entrees don't do anything for me but I can't wait to try the duck and surf n turf app. Pork flatbread also sounds relish. May just have to do a meal of all apps.

Duck in all Its Glory?

Bring it ... I'll feast on Donald served four ways every night of the week! :rotfl2:

I figured that with tax and gratuity included, and 12-14 small plate tasting courses, it should be worthwhile. Not all the courses will be sushi. I read something on the Disney Food Blog where beef was mentioned as one of the small bites. CG didn't offer nigiri sushi pieces a la carte, just their own designer maki rolls and sushi plate offerings.

If booze isn't included, I'd still probably order a glass of wine. Or split a bottle.

I was expecting cooked dishes too, but I'll be disappointed if the sushi portion is stuff out of their pretty basic selection or a rehash of one of the rolls. Somehow I'd be more OK if they had called this the chef's counter instead of omakase, which carries specific (and likely incorrect) connotations for me.

Even if this ends up being a decent value, the price is slotted higher than the current cost of the main dining room menu at V&A (without supplements). I wonder if that's intentional or if maybe V&A is due for a bump.

Is anyone planning to try this in September?

I have a feeling that there will be several specials in addition to the menu each night. The specials are what I tend to gravitate toward in any situation. I'm still very excited to try it in December!!!!

The entrees don't do anything for me but I can't wait to try the duck and surf n turf app. Pork flatbread also sounds relish. May just have to do a meal of all apps.

And that's how I roll. :thumbsup2
I've often combined appetizers as a meal instead of getting an entrée. I thought a lot of the new starters looked pretty darn awesome.

Duck in all Its Glory?

Bring it ... I'll feast on Donald served four ways every night of the week! :rotfl2:

:cool1: You know what I'm about to say, right? The fourth way would have been foie gras, until Disney BANNED foie gras in 2008! Yes, I'm still bitter. :rotfl2:

I was expecting cooked dishes too, but I'll be disappointed if the sushi portion is stuff out of their pretty basic selection or a rehash of one of the rolls. Somehow I'd be more OK if they had called this the chef's counter instead of omakase, which carries specific (and likely incorrect) connotations for me.

Even if this ends up being a decent value, the price is slotted higher than the current cost of the main dining room menu at V&A (without supplements). I wonder if that's intentional or if maybe V&A is due for a bump.

Is anyone planning to try this in September?

What does "omakase" mean to you? I personally thought it would be a similar experience to the chef's counter at Flying Fish, but with lots of smaller plates. The cost of that (when I did it a couple years ago) was about $30 less.

I'm sure someone will be sharing a review of it.

And that's how I roll. :thumbsup2
I've often combined appetizers as a meal instead of getting an entrée. I thought a lot of the new starters looked pretty darn awesome.

What does "omakase" mean to you? I personally thought it would be a similar experience to the chef's counter at Flying Fish, but with lots of smaller plates. The cost of that (when I did it a couple years ago) was about $30 less.

I'm sure someone will be sharing a review of it.

Apps: It's how I roll too (almost literally ;)

The FF dinner has wine pairings though. They might not allow opting out of the wine anymore, but it used to be ~$85++ for the food. I guess we'll know for sure in a week.

When I hear omakase, I think:
- Japanese(-inspired) food; maybe I just didn't know it was a more general term now. Every culture has grilled meat on a stick, but I have different mental images if you say satay vs yakitori vs shish kebab.
- the chef picks the food but it's not necessarily a set menu; there's a basic structure but some elements may be catered to your tastes (or some other factor?); your exact lineup might be different from the person next to you
- there's a base price, but you have the option of continuing
I've only had it at sushi-oriented places, so maybe there's a broader concept I'm missing.

I have a question since I've never been to CA Grille. We have a ressie for our upcoming trip so we're very excited but I wondered whether they will allow you to order the Spicy Kazan roll as an entrée if you are on the dining plan?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter