Never used DAS before but should we now in Covid times?

When my son was young he is on spectrum,and went to wdw we got it, we actually only needed it for a few rides because we were able to find short rides or use fp. But it so much lessened his anxiety and ours knowing we could get a return time if we needed it.
Thank you. I agree FP made this all so much easier and now that it is gone It really made the last trip more stressful and our little guy had meltdowns we really didn’t see coming given how much he LOVED every minute at disney world on prior trips.

DH and I are pretty nervous/self-conscious people so I worry about asking for the DAS not getting it, and worry even if we do get it we’ll get lots of judgmental comments from other guests when using the FP lane when so few people do these days. But sounds like will be worth it for him.

We have a trip booked in March now and just got our Magic Bands last week. DS chose the new toy story one and is wearing it daily. Can tell he is excited and understands it means we are going back to his favorite place!

Everyone has expressed most of what I was going to say but I wanted to offer the perspective that I was initially like your husband and thought we should “save” the DAS for someone else. I was wrong and it made the trip so much better for our DS last time. As others have said we don’t always use it but when we have it has made it possible for him to do rides that he literally cannot be in the line long enough to do in normal situations. I realized when I made that comment to DW that I had been wrong to oppose it in the first place (for what I thought were the right reasons). DS was able to do 5 rides that he had never been able to do before and as someone else mentioned that didn’t take anything away from others but allowed him to get the same enjoyment from the trip that someone like me could get without the DAS.
Thank you very much for sharing this! My DH has said he’ll let me ask for it and let Disney decide, but I really hope now that Disney says we can have the pass after we explain our situation or he’ll be in “I told you so” mode all trip....

Thank you. I agree FP made this all so much easier and now that it is gone It really made the last trip more stressful and our little guy had meltdowns we really didn’t see coming given how much he LOVED every minute at disney world on prior trips.

DH and I are pretty nervous/self-conscious people so I worry about asking for the DAS not getting it, and worry even if we do get it we’ll get lots of judgmental comments from other guests when using the FP lane when so few people do these days. But sounds like will be worth it for him.

We have a trip booked in March now and just got our Magic Bands last week. DS chose the new toy story one and is wearing it daily. Can tell he is excited and understands it means we are going back to his favorite place!
even if you get a DAS for him nothing makes you use it for every ride. when I was with grandson who had one we used when he needed but waited in line when he could. plan your trip around what your sons wants to do and what helps make that happen not what you feel others think should happen

I'm similar in the sense that I often feel nervous asking for DAS. To avoid "asking" for DAS outright, I prefer to let the Cast Member at Guest Services know exactly what our alternative requirements are for my son to have an enjoyable day.

For us, we just request the ability to wait in an alternative location if the need should arise. It sounds less like asking for a "pass" of sorts...but hey! That's just me being weird and hyper sensitive regarding semantics. Keep in mind, they will want to meet your DS and take his photo to assure he is the one using the system.

Our trip was in January and my teen got to ride his favorites without any melt downs. We were able to take some breaks in between stimulating situations. We took advantage of those longer queue times with potty breaks, treats, and sitting off to the side and relaxing.

I hope you and your family have a fabulous trip!

Thank you very much for sharing this! My DH has said he’ll let me ask for it and let Disney decide, but I really hope now that Disney says we can have the pass after we explain our situation or he’ll be in “I told you so” mode all trip....
They will 100% give you the pass

edit: fair point it’s not guaranteed. I think you have a very good shot. Basically saying I wouldn’t stress about not getting it

Last edited:
They will 100% give you the pass

There are no guarantees given here on the DISboards that *anyone* will get a DAS - and we never give out "scripts" to help people get one here, because it's against the rules.

One thing that we *can* tell folks is that if - by some chance - you are denied a DAS when you first ask for one, you can always go and on and try a couple of rides to see how things go. If it's obvious that you still need the ability to wait outside the normal queue environment, then go back to Guest Services at the front of the Park, and ask to partner with them again on possible solutions to the problems you (or your loved one) is having.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter