Never camped at Fort Wilderness. Need advice!

jdbruce

Earning My Ears
Hello all. We are DVC owners and have been to Disney more times than I can count. However, we've never camped there before. We'll be in Disney for 2 weeks in August, but I was thinking of coming to just camp at Fort Wilderness some time in June/July. I need advice on campsites, as all of the categories slightly confuse me. We have a 40' 5th wheel. Are there any pull through sites? What are the pros/cons to each area? Help!

I love Fort Wilderness! I've only stayed in the cabins and can't help too much regarding RV camping and RV loops, but I would recommend renting a golf cart if it's in your budget!

If you stay near The Settlement, you'll be close to food, the playground, the beach to watch the Electrical Water Pageant, and the boats to MK. I liked this area. I know Trail's End is currently closed there, and so is Hoop De Doo, but I hope Trail's End opens soon. There is quick service in this area, and there is also Crocket's (I'm not sure if Crocket's is open or not, but it's a saloon with a huge porch and rocking chairs). You'll need to take a golf cart or internal buses to get to the other side of the resort.

Cabins are near the Outpost. I don't think RVs can get super close to the Outpost, but this is the area closest to transportation to the other 3 parks. People staying in this area need to take a golf cart or internal buses to the other side of the resort (the Settlement).

There are also loops near The Meadow. In this area, you're more central in Fort Wilderness, and you're close to the pool, where the movies will be, and the Chip & Dale campfire sing along (if that comes back). There is also the Chuck Wagon in this area. However, it's still a decent hike to both the Settlement and the Outpost. You'll probably still want a golf cart or to use the internal buses.

Start here for a guide to the sites. No pull throughs. But lots of spots to accommodate your rig.https://wildernessprincess.net/loop-site-details/

We camped at the fort in our 40' Class A premium loop. the site was nice, concrete pad, our rig fit perfectly. The downside: depends on the other peeps in your loop. Some people park all over the road making maneuvering tricky, but lucky for us the site across was vacant upon our arrival, if not, there were a lot of vehicles on the road. Have fun!

OK. What is the difference between the Preferred sites and the premium meadows? We have our own golf cart so I don't necessarily feel the need to be super close to everything.

Preferred sites have gravel around a concrete pad, they are very close to the marina where you take the boat to MK. Premium Meadows are full concrete pads and are located close to the Meadow area of the campground. You can also go with regular Premium, which is identical to Premium Meadow, they are just a little bit away from the Meadow area. Then are also Full hook ups, these are just like preferred but are the furthest from the marina.

You will fit but there are some sites that it is tricky to get into because there are trash cans or other permanent structures across from them. We have a 34 foot fifth wheel and once we got into our site we were great but backing into it was a study in patience. There was a big permanent trash container right across from the site and our Dodge doesn't have the best turning radius. It would have actually been fine the first time hubby backed into it but he wanted it perfectly straight and exactly at a certain position to the electrical. It was also a passenger side back in, which makes it a little more difficult for him to see where he is going. In hindsight, we decided if ever in that position again, we will back it it, unhook, reposition the truck for a better turn, hook it back up and get it in that way. I think if you have a Ford they have a little better turning radius. We did use the site mentioned above and picked one of the sites she said was easy so that's all subjective.

It sounds like you are already campers if you have a 40ft 5er.

There are 5 types of sites/loops at the Fort: Tent/Popup, Full, Preferred, Premium, and Premium Meadows. All types have electric (15/30/50 amp), water and cable. All types except Tent/Popup have sewer. Here are the main differences between the site (loop) types.

Tent/Popup- (Green on the map)Generally smaller, no sewer hookup. All have a paved parking pad AND a pea gravel pad for a tent. There are only 2 Tent/Popup loops. 1500 near the pool and 2000 which is fairly remote, but much bigger than 1500.

Full- These sites have a paved parking pad that is about 12 ft wide and there is a pea gravel pad for a tent or screen house. 4 of the 5 Full loops are grouped together. All are closer to the Fort entrance (Outpost).

Preferred- The sites are just like a Full in size. They also have the pea gravel pad, but the 3 Preferred loops (100, 200, 300) are close to the Settlement, marina, HDDR and Trails End.

Premium- These sites are wider than the Full/Preferred loops (18 ft vs 12). They only have paved drives. No pea gravel for a tent. They generally accommodate larger rigs.

Premium Meadows- These sites are exactly like Premium. In fact, until a few years ago they were Premium sites. Premium Meadows are located closest to the "Meadows" area in the middle of the Fort. This is where the large pool is, the campfire/sing along and the Meadows Trading post.

HERE is a map with the loops and what type they are. The Fort is over a mile from the Outpost entrance to the boat dock and the Settlement. The orange circled loops closest to the Outpost are cabin loops.

map2-jpg.474620

I love the Preferred sites. They are close to everything except the pool, but my last 5er was 42 ft and I didn't really fit on those sites anymore, so I stuck to Premium loops. I would suggest Premium or Premium Meadows for a 40 ft 5er. There are sites in each loop that will fit a bigger trailer (and truck), but there aren't as many. Some of the loops (Preferred) can be tight and harder to navigate to get to the one site you would fit on. the Full loops have more longer sites. I have a 42 ft MH now and I have a Full loop booked for January.

This place is a great resource. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Be careful, you may learn that the Fort is one of the best places to stay on property and you'll be renting out your DVC points to support your Fort habit.

j

Hello all. We are DVC owners and have been to Disney more times than I can count. However, we've never camped there before. We'll be in Disney for 2 weeks in August, but I was thinking of coming to just camp at Fort Wilderness some time in June/July. I need advice on campsites, as all of the categories slightly confuse me. We have a 40' 5th wheel. Are there any pull through sites? What are the pros/cons to each area? Help!

Always plenty of helpful info provided by others so I will go off on a tangent >>>

We have been going to FW since early '80's and like you have never **CAMPED.** We first began with the cabins, then our 20' Class C, then DFIL's 34' Class A, then our 30' Class A and currently our 36' Class A. Just can't consider RVing CAMPING when we have air conditioning, multiple TV's, full kitchen, DW's bathroom and my own bathroom, my washer/dryer combo, +++ :duck:

ENJOY!!! your time at FW

OK. Are there ever any discounts for the campsites?

You started a separate thread about this. Better to focus replies on that topic over there. https://www.disboards.com/threads/discounts.3836585/

This thread of yours here can focus on the new/first time FW camper angle.

Just to help other people who will come behind and read this to know what's what and where to find it.

Good question though.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Preferred sites have gravel around a concrete pad, they are very close to the marina where you take the boat to MK. Premium Meadows are full concrete pads and are located close to the Meadow area of the campground. You can also go with regular Premium, which is identical to Premium Meadow, they are just a little bit away from the Meadow area. Then are also Full hook ups, these are just like preferred but are the furthest from the marina.
We’re staying in a preferred and renting a camper. So will we be close to the lake to see the electrical parade? There seems to be so much to do, I can’t keep up with it all!

We’re staying in a preferred and renting a camper. So will we be close to the lake to see the electrical parade? There seems to be so much to do, I can’t keep up with it all!

From your campsite you would not be able to see the parade. It is a short walk over to the marina where you can watch from.

I have found that the Fort will try to accommodate you on having the best site for your rig. If you go in and you are not happy for whatever reason, then we have found no issue changing site but that may be an issue super busy time tho but we don't go Xmas time etc., that has just been our experience. Just go and have fun. Book Premium, Premium Meadow or many Full are actually pretty large. There are youtube videos that show many of the sites and loops.

Great thread OP :) I had been lurking here regularly trying to plan for an October 2020 trip that ended up canceled. However, the event we were going to will be back in Orlando (specifically fro WDW) in August 2023 and so I am back to planning! We have a family of 7, and while we do not have a 5th wheel or RV, I've been deeply impressed with my sister's. Is it too much to try to be first time trailer AND first time FW at the same time? Or does it seem doable to navigate both things? I'm happy to start a new thread for camper/trailer newbies too if that makes more sense, but figured this was a first timer thread anyway :)

Also, much thanks to the posts describing the different loops and their relative location to the other areas of the resort. I hope you know how much pixie dust you spread with your knowledge :) Makes the planning much more fun!

You can request a site or loop but there are no guarantees.

Which one you choose depends on what you want to be close to or not close to.. walk to the marina or walk to the pool or watch everyone pulling in and out of the camground or sit in the woods. All that makes where you want to be camped.

You can request a site or loop but there are no guarantees.

Which one you choose depends on what you want to be close to or not close to.. walk to the marina or walk to the pool or watch everyone pulling in and out of the camground or sit in the woods. All that makes where you want to be camped.

I always wanted to be next to the elevator. Oh wait, they did finally correct that. :rotfl2:It used to be a request for the Fort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter