Need Tips for Flying since 9/11

Laz

DIS Veteran
Okay all you expert commercial flyers out there, give me your best tips!. I am flying for the first time since 9/11 and want to know your best tips for making the experience as easy as possible for my family and myself. This includes packing tips that will ease security checks. For example, it was suggested that your underwear be put in plastic bags. If your luggage is searched, your underwear is not handled and spread out for the entire airport to view. Many poeple have complained about slow moving security check points. What can be done to make this process as painless and quick as possible?

Laz:

I've flown out of Indy three times since 9/11. The chances are the only changes you will see is that you have to show your picture ID three times(at check-in, before metal detector and at gate when boarding). You will also need to show boarding pass at metal detector and no-one without a boarding pass is allowed beyond security area. It appears they select a few people at random to search their baggage(even checked baggage) and they may wave the wand over your body. Before you board the plane they may check your carry-ons and search you. This happens to a small number of people on a flight, so you may not be involved in it.

If you have a carry-on bag make sure you don't have any sharp objects in it. No razors, finger nail clippers, scissors, etc.. Butane lighters are not allowed either. Put razors, etc. in the bags you check- in. We also found curbside check-in to be faster.

I found the security checks at IND to be handled very well and not much of a hassle.

I'm sure others will give some more tips.

Gary M
Muncie

A woman I know had all her intimate apparell placed out on a conter for a large crowd to see. My Sister in law was pegged for search twice. THEY RAN THEIR FINGERS OVER HER TOOTH BRUSH BRISTLES!!!:mad: This is why I am looking for info. Also, I am flying out of Cincinnati. But thanks any how.

I would be aware not to carry on anything sharp and pack as if nothing is sacred (as though everything could be spread out all over in front of an audience of strangers) and wear good socks....... hubby had to carry shoes through metal detector and place them on conveyor in Tampa lst month. (He wore nice new white socks :) )

If you have items that you suspect you might be forced to check, here is a tip...
I was afraid that they would take my pin case, and it would be rather flimsy to be subjected to the abuse of checked luggage. I put it in a carry-on-sized, regular suitcase, along with a backpack containing all my other carry-on items. That way, if they insisted on taking the pins, I could check them in the small piece of luggage and easily remove the backpack and bring it on with me.
It turns out that I was allowed to keep the pins, but only after they checked the bag for bomb residue and called a supervisor to make the final decision.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Just be honest and let them know what you have in your suitcase. Point out to them the "suspicious" items, like pins and hair pins...etc. Also, make sure your camera, cell phones, palm pilot, blackberry, laptops, pagers...etc are fully charged. They will ask you to turn them on. They also check the stuff animals, so ship them back from WDW if you can isntead. They usually spot check your carry on luggages right before the boarding gate too.

I carried much less after 9-11 on my suitcase. But if you have to carry much, check them in, so they can scan them. Saves you time.

I haven't seen any such manhandling of luggage at any of the airports I've flown through since 9/11 (Syracuse, Philadelphia, Tampa, Key West, and JFK). In fact, the few folks I have seen pulled aside to have their luggage searched have been taken to a curtained area off to the side of the security checkpoint.

That being said however, anything is possible given the heightened state of security. I'd recommend to everyone that they only carry what is absolutely necessary onto the plane. If you minimize what you have with you, you'll minimize the security delays.

Packing all your frilly underthings and personal hygiene products into your checked baggage is a VERY simple solution to your concern over people seeing or handling them. Heck, even if your luggage gets lost you can get a few pairs of skivvies and a toothbrush on any corner in Orlando!

I flew Delta to/from Orlando in early December. They were very strict about their new carry-on rule: One carry-on plus a small personal item (handbag, laptop). At MCO there were spot checks at the departure gate. At the ticket gate I saw them make a couple repack their luggage right there because they had too many carry-on packages.

Have your photo ID ready to go at any moment. After the first day I was joking with everyone that I should just wear my ID around my neck.

Look comfortable and be ready with tickets, ID's, etc. Some people I saw pulled over for spot checks were the ones fumbling around to begin with.

Our luggage was thoroughly checked at MCO (behind a curtain) and we were selected for a spot check of our carryons on our return flight to Chicago. They were very discreet and I actually felt sorry for the girls checking the luggage because we were returning home and all of our clothes were dirty. I think I might consider washing clothes before our next return flight - it will save me some of the hassle when we get home and I have 500 loads of laundry to do. Ha, ha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter